Least expensive toll route NYC to Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which route, 95 or 84 will be the least expensive when it comes to the cost of tolls? I figured Google maps might tell me but it just let's me know which sections are toll roads.
Thank you very much.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM
cw

I assume if you search for those toll roads on Google maps you'll be able to add up the tolls. Stay away from the Mass. Pike (90). 95 doesn't have tolls but I don't know if there are any leaving NYC.

I don't pay attention to tolls when driving to New York--I'm more concerned with the most efficient route with the fewest trucks and traffic.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 05:21 PM

If you use viaMichelin, you can plug in your itinerary and indicate that you want the least costly route. It will give you a toll-free itinerary.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 05:55 PM

Neither 84 nor 95 has tolls. Once you're out of New York, the only toll en route to Boston would be on the Mass Pike. Avoiding that part of the trip seems silly to avoid a few dollars in tolls, since alternates will take much longer. Considering the price of gas these days, that toll would really be a very small part of the cost of the trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM

84 has no tolls, but if you connect with the Mass Pike (90)that's a toll road (sorry,I don't know the amount as I have an E-Z pass and don't see the amount till I check my bill
95 has a toll ($2?) in the eastbound direction around Mamaroneck NY, none in the other direction.

I;m with CW,I try for time savings more than toll saving, especially with the price of gas these days. And it's not like the DC to NYC roads that average $25-30 in tolls r/t

When are you traveling, and are you going Boston or suburbs, Manhattan or outside the city? Some routes just make more sense at some times, even if it costs a couple of dollars, in my opinion

I
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. My son is on the last leg of a trip back to Boston (overnight in Manhattan tonight, I think) from the west coast. He is alone and not splitting expenses this last leg and he is in a minivan. I know he is pretty broke after being away since May and gas will cost him plenty in the minivan

. I couldn't remember if 95 has tolls or not. I thought when we recently travelled to NY from Boston we encountered tolls, besides the pike but I guess not. It seems that the GPS always sends us automatically 95 so I might suggest to him that he set the GPS for say Danbury, CT when he leaves the city.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 06:27 PM

I hope he filled up on gas in NJ or PA where it's much cheaper, NYC prices are crazy, but Connecticut is pretty bad too. If he can hold out until Massachusetts he'll save much more than any toll he would have encountered
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM
yk

The toll on Mass Pike from I-84 interchange (Exit 9) to DT Boston is $4.15.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 06:58 PM

If one wanted to avoid tolls on this route, the most important thing would be choosing a toll-free bridge out of Manhattan. There aren't any tolls on I-91 or I-84.

As noted above, the Massachusetts Turnpike has tolls. There's no reasonable way to avoid the Masspike. I really would not suggest taking I-95 just to save a few dollars. If your son wants, from I-84 he could take US-20 to MA-12, and get on the Masspike at exit 10 instead of exit 9. That wouldn't cost much time, but it would only save 45 cents.

I think jamie has the right idea. The best way to save money on this trip would be to pick the right gas stations. The prices are lower in Massachusetts. And even in Connecticut, going off of the highway a little bit can save some money.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM

If he takes the FDR to the Willis Avenue Bridge than he looks for the signs for the Bruckner Expressway and then look for the signs for 95, he will save money by not taking the RFK formerly known as the Triborough Bridge.