learning to sail

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
learning to sail

I would like to get a learning to sail package for my husband's 50th. Someplace warm US or BVI. Not too sure about staying on the boat for the whole time at this early stage of lessons, but open for any recommendations?
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:53 AM
TC

We charter each year with Sunsail. They have a sailing school/package in BVI. We did not use the school as we have owned a boat for many years, but we are very happy with them as an organization and for chartering.

http://www.sunsail.com/yachts/destin.../learn_to_sail
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:02 AM

What a GREAT idea, Kathy! Would you mind if this fellow RN borrowed the idea for my husband as well?! ;-)
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:07 AM

What time of year? Annapolis, Maryland would be a lovely summer choice.I believe there are several different sailing schools/courses, but I don't have personal experience with any.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:30 AM
cd

I learned to sail thru Annapolis Sailing School in Florida. We had purchased a sailboat, it was springtime and I wanted someplace warm to learn. My husband took their intermediate coarse and I took their basic. It gave us a good base to sail our boat when summer came. However, it was just the beginning of learning to sail. As in anything else, it takes experience. I think you have to have a basic coarse before you do the live-on but if you've never had lessons before, I would suggest you both take the basic and then both take the live-on- board. Boating is a blast, a wonderful world to become a part of.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM
GoTravel

As an experienced sailor, I suggest you book a trip on a captained sailboat out of the BVIs. Nothing like taking the helm for the experience.

I took lessons years and years ago at the Annapolis sailing school in Charleston and remember nothing. It was my experience as delivery crew where I learned to sail.

Being on a boat in the BVI is an experience like no other. It is life changing.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM

That is a great suggestion from GoTravel. We sailed around the BVI (bareboat as we were with a sailor friend) and it is an awesome place to sail. Having a captain for hands-on learning would be great. We rented through the Moorings and were happy with them, but that was almost 20 years ago so I'm not sure of current best picks. Have fun!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM

As both an experienced sailor as well as someone who has attended sailing school and has sailed the BVI...

My suggestion would be that you look at Off Shore Sailing School. This is where we went. Specifically look at the Fast Track To Cruising. You can combine Learn to Sail with Basic Cruising and do this on location in the British Virgin Islands. Off Shore Sailing School uses boats from Moorings and this is the best combination of book learning combined with plenty of on the water practical experience with you at the helm with a competent instructor.
http://www.offshore-sailing.com/
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:05 PM

What a great thread! Thanks for all the input. Even though I'm not the OP, I really appreciate the great advice!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM

This won't help you, kathyrnc, but my husband gave me a Christmas gift a few years ago of a 5 day liveaboard sailing course with Womanship in Key West. They offer sailing courses for women, taught by women instructors. It was a great way for me to learn, since with men along, I probably would have laid back more and let them get things done. We were just 3 women and it was so much fun. We had 2 different instructors (1 at a time) over the 5 days. One was excellent, but did much of the work herself. The second was not as technically proficient, but let us try everything. I have fond memories of that trip.