LAX or Burbank Airport

Search

LAX or Burbank Airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAX or Burbank Airport

I'm trying to coordinate a family vacation (10 people) to Beverly Hills and wondering what is the most convenient airport to fly in to. I've heard Burbank is alot easier to get in and out of with rental cars. I would appreciate any input.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:04 AM

just about any airport imo is better then LAX ;-)

It can be a lot less expensive to fly into though - so with 10 people the amount can quickly add up. We live in Orange county but will make the drive when the 6 of us fly as a 50.00 difference in airfare for 6 makes a big difference.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Well, it's about a 15-20 minute drive to Beverly Hills from LAX. From Burbank, more like 35-45 minutes if traffic is moving. If you're arriving even remotely close to rush hour on a weekday, driving from Burbank to Bev Hills will be unpleasant.

I'd consider price of flying into the airport (LAX is usually cheaper) and time of day you're arriving/ traffic conditions before deciding.

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM

I don't agree with Erin about travel times from LAX to Beverly Hills, and ESPECIALLY if you are picking up a car. I doubt you could ever make it in 15 minutes even in the middle of the night if a taxi was waiting for you at the curb. Travel time LAX to Beverly Hills can be well over an hour. There isn't much difference in distance, either. If the fares are similar, I'd go with Burbank.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Where are you flying in from? Have you been to LAX before? It's very large and not the best set up. It probably will be cheaper to fly into. That is just taking money into account. The time and frustration will be higher than Burbank.

Burbank is a pleasure compared to LAX. It is no frills but it's also no hassel. It is further in distance to BH than LAX but distance in this town does not equate to time. I laughed out loud when I read mlgb's response.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

We are flying in from Dallas--half are coming on Sun. am and the remainder on a Wed. am. The rate is about $50 cheaper going to LAX, but car rental is cheaper at Burbank airport. The traffic is what I'm trying to somewhat avoid. We were in La Jolla last March and drove to BH for the day--my brother just moved there- I couldn't believe the traffic especially when its foggy!
I think Burbank might be a better choice because of the hassle of LAX. Thanks
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM

The rental car companys are all outside the airport so you will be taking a shuttle to and from them. The freeways are close to the rental lots so in my opionion very easy. Never have flown into Burbank so can't commment. In additon to checking the difference in airfare also compare the rental car prices. Whatever you decide have fun on yur trip!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:10 PM

If it was $50 cheaper pp and a Sunday morning (am) I wouldn't mind LAX. On a Weds AM the traffic LAX to BH is going to be bad, bad, bad. Not great at Burbank either, but you can take Laurel Canyon Blvd and avoid the freeways thru downtown.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:38 PM

There are many more car rental places at LAX and each has many windows, so getting a rental there is quick even on a holiday weekend (I did it on Labor Day friday afternoon this year and was out in 10 mins).

If you're going to be driving to and from your hotel during rush hour, you will be in traffic from both airports, but there are more ways to avoid it coming from LAX since you can take streets instead of freeways if you want to (like LaTijera to LaCienega to Robertson route). There are only a couple ways of getting from Burbank to Beverly Hills, so if you're stuck, you're stuck.

Basically, Sunday AM is not going to be an issue coming from LAX. There is actually usually more traffic on the 101 coming from Burbank then since many valley residents go into main part of LA on the weekends. Wed morning is going to be bad either way, unless you're not leaving the airport past 10am.

So, if this were me, and I fly in and out of LA several times a month, I would definitely do LAX. Shop around for better car rental rates. Check www.hotwire.com and compare the best rates they list to the actual car rental websites themselves.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:06 PM

The traffic between Burbank and BH and LAX and BH really isn't that bad if you are comparing it with driving up from La Jolla.
You got some good advice on the previous posts. Book it and pray for clear sailing, if not, the license plate game : )
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you've never been to L.A. and don't know how to get from point A to point B with ease, it's highly likely you'll get lost trying to get from Burbank Airport to Beverly Hills, since many of the streets in and around Burbank are not on a grid pattern (I'm thinking the Olive - Alameda - Riverside Drive streets that always mess me up and I am in the area often!), not to mention navigating the freeways from there! I also don't like the short runways at Burbank which scare the daylights out of me.

LAX is definitely more convenient to get to Beverly Hills and you have choices. True, there are also a number of streets not on the typical grid pattern, but with a map or car with a mapping device, you can manage without too much fuss. You have the choice of taking the 405 Freeway north to Santa Monica Blvd., then head east to Beverly Hills; or taking Sepulveda north to Pico, Olympic, or Santa Monica Blvd., then right turn to Beverly Hills. I usually take Sepulveda to and from the airport, but in recent months there's been road construction between Culver Blvd. and Washington that makes this area a bottleneck, so I avoid that by taking Sepulveda until it forks at Sepulveda and Jefferson, and take the Jefferson route, left (north) on Overland to Pico, then right -- go past 20th Century Fox and Century City to Beverly, then left at Beverly Drive.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM

mlgb- An hour between BH and LAX?! In rush hour, if there's a bad accident on the freeway, MAYBE. I live a few blocks east of Beverly Hills and drive to the airport frequently. It has NEVER taken me an hour. In fact, I just did this last Friday-- took 20 minutes. However, it can easily take an hour to Burbank.

I was not accounting for the time of picking up a rental car. Only for drive time.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:36 AM

It's taken me an hour from LAX to Rancho Park, which isn't even yet Beverly Hills.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
mlgb --

I live in Rancho Park, so secret suggestion for the 15 minute trip to LAX is take Overland all the way until it turns into Playa, and then south on Sepulveda to the airport. Worked well even at Xmas time!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM

I live near Beverly Hills as well, and it takes me 15 minutes to get to the airport via LaCienega. If not going during rush hour, same thing for the freeway route. An hour is only during rush hours and/or if there is an accident. going to Burbank btw takes at least 30-40 mins, without traffic.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Burbank is further away than LAX, and Wed A.M. you'd be in commuter traffic all the way. Fly to LAX--life will be much easier.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Actually, I checked google maps and Beverly Hills is virtually equidistant between the two airports.

I think the worst traffic in LA is northbound on the 405 on a weekday morning.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM

The traffic on southbound on the 101 (and on the alternate Laurel Canyon route, and Cahuenga Pass) is definitely a nightmare on a weekday morning as well as weekend mornings with everyone from the valley going into the city.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:33 AM

Just to add to the discussion: I think the Burbank airport is great. Coming from Burbank try "Cahuenga to Highland to Fountain to La Cienega". It is about 30 minutes up and over from most places in Burbank to BH.
As for the airport choice. I prefer Burbank but as all have said it really depends on cost and traffic. Sunday morning should be a breeze from LAX so just airport and rental car hassels (which in comparison Burbank is a breeze). On Wednesday, I might choose Burbank. But, as previously noted the route from LAX is probably more straightforward.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:02 AM

At Burbank you're into your rental car in about 5 minutes flat. It's a one-minute walk from counter to car.

Ask for directions to the Hollywood Way exit of the airport. Turn right. This will dead end into Olive. Turn right. Follow the majority of traffic (middle lane), this will dead end into Cahuenga, turn left. Follow a couple of miles until you cross Hollywood Blvd and then you can turn right just ahead on Sunset Blvd and ride the Sunset Strip into Beverly Hills. It might not be the quickest route but it's easy, and the quicker routes might just save you 5 to 7 minutes anyway.