Lava viewing?

Old Jul 5th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lava viewing?

Headed to Big Island in about a week, staying in Waikoloa for 5 nights. We chose the Big Island so that we could visit Volcanoes National Park. So, with that spot unavailable, any ideas on where we can see the lava that does not involve a boat or helicopter? We will have a car and are willing to travel. I am thinking of a spot high up somewhere, would love to get close, but totally understand that is not an option. Thank you!
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 05:21 AM

We have a condo just south of the main part of Volcanoes NP - more on this in a bit...but to answer your question about seeing the lava: Fissure 8 is still (as of this morning) producing an enormous amount of lava. We have friends in Hilo who can see the lava quite clearly at night with the naked eye from their home just outside of town and up slope a little. Your challenge would be to find an accessible location that would not disturb landowners or residents as you tried to jockey for position.

Otherwise, entering the lava zone is still off limits and trying to do so is simply uncool and a jerk move - plus it is almost like asking for a serious criminal charge to be levied against you. The authorities are NOT messing around with this.

The county is working on balancing the needs and desires of residents with the desires of visitors and kamaaina to see the lava. There has been frequent discussion in the paper about creating a lava viewing area in the near future. The activity of Kilauea is a major economic driver for the island and the civil defense folks are aware of the need to safely and respectfully provide some kind of access as this event may go on for the foreseeable future unchanged.

Sorry to not have better news for you - boats and helicopters are the "sure bet" but are also heavily booked and mighty expensive. Just keep in mind that, although the hazard area is quite small in the overall scope of the island, there are thousands of people who have (and are continuing to suffer) suffered in this tremendous natural disaster. Sometimes visitors' zeal to see the power of nature at work overrides common sense and compassion for those who have lost everything or can't return home - to a new landscape - due to the dangers, even if home does still exist.

Back to the Volcanoes National Park...the main park is around 300,000 acres and is closed. It's getting torn up by explosive eruptions and earthquakes on a near daily basis and as of now, it is unknown when it will re-open. However, there is a smaller - still 100,000 acres - unit called Kahuku in the Ka'u district (south of our condo at Punalu'u beach) that previously was open only on weekends...and has expanded to 5 days a week. Rangers have also set up an office in downtown Hilo. I recommend considering a visit to both (on separate days - they are over an hour apart).

I hope this is helpful, but, don't hesitate to get in touch with follow up questions. The island is alive and it's an amazing, humbling reminder of the power of nature. I'm glad you will get to experience a visit soon.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 06:12 AM

Very well put!
In my view, the best way to sightsee right now is by coughing up the money for a helicopter tour, not coughing up your lungs on a boat. Highway 11 is still open, but there's a sinkhole that just appeared, so for now it's one lane (and no stopping for a good stretch, so not really a good option for viewing).
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 06:57 AM

Sylvia - was not aware of the sinkhole. That's terrible news...if Hwy 11 is cut off, distances will increase beyond practical for so many people.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Wonderful post TJM. I think, because the Hawaiian Islands are so wonderful, sometimes visitors think of them as Disneyesque where everything is for the tourists and forget there is huge inconvenience for locals, and for some true suffering
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 11:43 AM

I live on Kauai but will be working on the Big Island at the Hawaii Songwriting Festival. (There's a reason why my screen name is "Songdoc" ;-) I found this post just as I was thinking about whether I wanted to see the lava on my upcoming trip. I checked the tours available on Viator (a tour consolidator) and their listings are not up to date. They list stops at the Jagger Museum and other places that are inaccessible since the eruption.

I'll be staying in Kailua-Kona (at the Mauna Lani Hotel) and will only have 2 days off to explore. I've been to the Big Island many times, so I've seen quite a bit.

I would love to take a helicopter to see the lava. But it costs $500 per person to go from Kona. (I'll be there with my DH.) AGHH! It is half that price to go from Hilo, but would require a long drive back in the dark.

I'm thinking we'll do a star-gazing tour to Mauna Kea and a tour of Waipio Valley. But I'd love to see the lava...
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 03:42 PM

There are early morning hele tours from Hilo that would leave plenty of time to drive back to the Mauna Lani in the daylight. You'd want to leave early to get to Hilo, but it's very doable.
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 07:25 PM

From what I understand there are height restrictions on helicopters so no getting close to the lava. VNP and Jagger museum may be pemanantly closed due to structural damage and any reports from the park have all personnel wearing hard hats. No danger there. I'd save my money and watch Big Island Video News ? Serving Hawaii County but I have been accused of beleiving fake news and videos.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jul 7th, 2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: unnecessary personal attack
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 07:53 PM

<There are early morning hele tours from Hilo that would leave plenty of time to drive back to the Mauna Lani in the daylight.>

Thanks, Sylvia. I should have mentioned I'd especially like to see the lava at night. ;-)
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 06:47 AM

Well, night would be another story (although choppers do get within viewing distance, certainly not "close"). At any rate, a day trip to Hilo is well worth the time, even if you don't stay overnight for the distant glow
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 06:52 AM

Btw, Songdoc, the summit star trip is nice, if cold, but the only telescope viewing is down at the visitors center. If you don't have time for that tour, the light restrictions on the island make star gazing on your own pretty great in a lot of sea-level spots (and there are even tours for that!).
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 02:03 PM

Wow. 22 injured on a lava-viewing tour boat.

?Lava bomb? through roof of tour boat injures at least 22 on Hawaii island
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was just going to post that -- you beat me to it

here is another source 23 injured after explosion hurls 'basketball-sized' lava bomb on - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 07:19 AM

Honestly, I'm surprised there haven't been more injuries over the years. Can you imagine being in the water when there's a delta collapse? The lava boats are a big draw but it has always seemed like a dangerous tour. The newspaper account said she broke her femur...biggest bone in the body.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 09:28 AM

In all honesty, and showing respect to the seriously hurt, this could have been far worse.