Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Laura Plantation Fire - Is it still worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - I am taking a plantation/swamp tour when in NO in a couple of weeks and am deciding if I should still visit Laura Plantation despite the recent fire they had in August. Not sure how much of the property was damaged/destroyed?? Has anyone seen it since the fire? I will definitely be visiting Oak Alley Plantation, and if I don't visit Laura, I will see Evergreen instead. However, if Laura is in decent shape, I would like to see it. Fodors lists it as a "must see." Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks!!
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Since you are listing them all??? I'll assume you are driving- then just stop if it's of interest at the time? I plan on going next month- it was an excellent tour when I went last year. Also consider a lunch stop at the B&C next door, excellent food.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I'm doing a tour which only visits 2 plantations. So, I definitely want to do Oak Alley, but I need to decide between Evergreen or Laura.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Do not let the fire keep you from seeing the most interesting plantation TOUR on the River Road. Do go to Laura.

The tour at Laura was never about the house. None of the other tours measure up in terms of the making the plantation era come alive.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:34 AM

As mentioned- I rent a car and drive myself, extremely simple and then you can come and go as you wish. All three of these plantations are on the same road with Evergreen first, Laura then Oak Alley. Cheap downtown rental at Dollar.