7 days in Louisiana??

Search

7 days in Louisiana??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days in Louisiana??

My husband and I (wrong side of 40!!) are off to Louisiana for a week starting in NO. I have read everyones suggestions (again and again!) but what I need to know is should we take tours to Laura/OakAlley/Swamps etc etc if we are going to drive to Lafayette/Baton Rouge/Cajun Country etc. We haven't planned anything yet and want to see as much as we can of not only NO but Louisiana generally. Any really good ideas??
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:54 AM

Personally, I think the Laura plantation is a must see. It blows the whole Hollywood idea of what a plantation was about out of the water! And if you get Jenny as a tourguide, you are in for a treat! Whether you drive there yourself or take a tour, I would not miss this one.

Oak Alley is impressive as well, but it has been preserved and the guides are a little "plastic", so the experience wasn't as good as Laura. Still worth a trip, if only to see the oak trees.

On the tour I went on, I met a couple who had spent the night at a plantation along the Mississippi, and they still enjoyed both plantations.

I would definetly do a swamp tour! Whether in NO or some place else - do it! I was highly sceptical and almost didn't go because I thought it would be boring. Am I glad I changed my mind! We had a very samll group (6 people), which I believe is harder to get into during the summer. I learned more about the swamp, bayous, marshes, and the animals living there in 2 hours than I would have if I'd researched for days. The guide we had even described various ways to survive in the swamp, which was interesting. (Not that I would want to give his advice a try!) You see so much swamp land around Louisiana, but it's when you get into it and are shown things that the true beauty does come out.

I met a couple who were from Lafayette, and I was sorry I didn't stop there. From what they said, it would have been an interesting place to explore.

Have fun!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response! I am just a little confused as to which is best/easier to do - drive yourself or go on organized tours from NO???
Any ideas?
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 10:11 AM

I didn't have a car for the week I was in NOLA, so I did the tours. The couple that I met who had stayed at the plantation had rented a car for their stay, yet still took the tour. There are pros and cons to both. Have your own car: can arrive when you want to, leave when you want to, explore other areas near where you are. On a tour: no hassle driving, entrance fees already paid.

If I had to do over again, and have a car, I would probably take the tour to the plantations and take the car to the swamp tours. The swamp tour is only place to have to get to, and the tour is only 2 hours long, so it still leaves a large portion of the day open. You are still "fresh" for driving. But that is just my own personal preference.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 10:53 AM

My husband and I did a similar trip last year, but had two weeks, so a little longer to explore. We started in New Orleans, then rented a car at the airport. Directly leaving the airport you are on the highway that leads to the river road. While on the NO side of the Mississippi we took a quick stop at Destrehan (didn't tour). Crossed the river and had lunch at C&B's (next door to Laura) really authentic country food. Did the tour of Laura then continued up the river road stopping to look at but not tour Oak Alley and Nottoway. Laura really is worth the tour.

We overnighted in Baton Rouge. Next day visited the State Capital Building, the old State Capital Building and just generally walked around downtown for a couple of hours. On to Breaux Bridge for a night at Mulates.

Next day was up to Eunice/Opelousas. Saturday night at the Liberty Theatre in Eunice is a must! Also visit the What Bayou Trading Company in Opelousas. They are big supporters of the art and music of the area.

Our next stop was for lunch at Chef Roy's Frog city Cafe in Rayne (worth the short detour). And then on to New Iberia - not far away is Avery Island with the Jungle Gardens and Tabasco Plant. We went expecting to really enjoy the Tabasco Plant and find the gardens so so - exactly the opposite - the gardens are magnificent.

We finished our tour driving down to Cypremort Point then through Franklin to Morgan City. Finally back to New Orleans.

We liked it so much that we're going back this year, but plan on spending more time in New Orleans and the Eunice/Opelousas area. But will definitely go visit Chef Roy's again!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Well, you can easily find your way to River Road and Laura and Oak Alley are all of 10 minutes apart, but I love Madewood which wasnt easy for me to find and I live here! If you decide to do Madewood and/or Houmas House and I recommend both I'd recommend one of the tour companies.

I'd also recommend driving to St. Francisville which isnt far from Baton Rouge at all. They have lots of homes to tour, all in close proximity. St. Francisville is West Feliciana parish which is English not French. This also wont be too far to continue southwest to Cajun country either. Do stop in Vermillionville which is like a small cajun version of Williamsburg and also St. Martinville which is a nice little town where the story of Evangeline took place. Oh, I almost forgot Nottoway Plantation, not far from N.O. is the biggest and certainly worth a visit. Also Nottoway, Madewood, and Oak Alley all offer overnight accomodations. I can personally vouch for Madewood and Nottoway as I've stayed in both and wouldnt hesitate to do it again. If you stay at Madewood an elegant dinner on the original china etc is included.

What time of year are you planning to come?
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the tips - its great to get first hand info from someone who has done the same/similar trip. We are arriving in NO on 19th September so hope it won't be toooooooo Hot!!
Always grateful for any other suggestions! Keep 'em coming! Thanks again.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Hi Mildew- we visit NO often and usually drive. You definatley need to tour Laura and Oak Alley. It is not hard to drive to them and will save you money to drive and buy a ticket to view the houses verses getting on with a tour group that picks you up from the hotel. As mentioned earlier- you can set your own pace by driving as well. We drove out to the plantations and to the swamp tour that we went on last year with no problems. Definately recommend that you do an airboat swamp tour-- they are great! We took airboat adventures and had a wonderful time!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks finsup! And all the others - I am really getting into the mood now and it is still three months away!!! Still need to plan and get as much info as possible.
Thanks again
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Hello from Baton Rouge. I agree with the other posters concerning the tour of Laura Plantation. It has a wonderful history and would be a great representative of a typical creole plantation. Please consider a swamp tour right outside of Baton Rouge. In April we took friends from San Diego to experience the swamp and we were all impressed. It is much cheaper than the ones out of New Orleans but it was excellent and we met many visitors from around the world. It is called Alligator Bayou Swamp Tours - (225) 642-8297. Come spend some time in Baton Rouge on your way to Cajun Country in Southwest Louisiana - the Old State Capital, Louisiana Arts & Science Center (brand new Plantetarium), Magnolia Mound Plantation, Louisiana State University Campus, and the LSU Rural Life Museum. These are our special treasures which you would enjoy. Have a happy and safe journey to our unique part of this country.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Downsouth - we were actually wondering whether Baton rouge was somewhere to 'pass through' (sorry but the websites obviously don't do your town justice). Your message has changed our mind and we will definitely consider a Swamp Tour from there rather than NO. Thanks greatly for your info.