Late March/Early April Getaway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking to get away from So. Connecticut in late March/Early April. Our plan is to drive South making our first stop in Baltimore for a day or so and then we'd like to find either a bed&breakfast or resort on or near a beach to just relax for 4-5 days before heading back. We have visited both Myrtle Beach and Charleston in the past--we are really looking more for relaxation and beautiful surroundings than a resort type area. Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM

How about Nags Head? Not as crazy as Myrtle Beach IMHO. I was there once a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Would like to go back with my DH who has never been.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM

Since you didn't list a price range - here's where I have always wanted to go....

http://www.littlestsimonsisland.com/
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses--they both look like beautiful places. I was looking to spend in the $250-350 per night price range.

Thanks again for any suggestions!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM

I would be a little concerned that Nag’s Head would be too cool at that time of year still, but see weatherbase.com and other websites. Even Florida in late March can still have cool days, and NC is significantly north of Florida. If you don’t want to actually sit ON the beach or do water activities, it is probably OK, but your message is not totally clear. Have you considered places like Williamsburg (not on the water but interesting, and there is golf, cool weather there too though) or Savannah?

Further north, places in the Eastern Shore of Maryland could be quite pretty, although still not at all summer yet, like the St Michaels area and Wye River area. Certainly beautiful surroundings. No beaches, but lots of river frontage. Would be early spring at that time. Could include Annapolis as well. Take a look at the Inn and Perry Cabin, which is really lovely see http://www.perrycabin.com. March –April is partial low season and some of their rates or packages should be within your budget. (Also look at vrbo.com for condos for rent in the area or elsewhere in places you may be thinking of, although these may not offer the resort activities you may want.) Shl.com is another good source for smaller hotels.

Really if you don’t want to sit on a beach (or are willing to do so well wrapped up), the Jersey Shore can really be pretty as well at that time of year. Consider Cape May which is very charming and lots of B&Bs, and then take the ferry to Lewes, stopping at points like St Mary’s Maryland which is another charming little town, or from Cape May go up to the bridge and then down to Baltimore.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cicerone-- I did want warmer than cooler weather and although we initially thought about the Outer Banks we have reconsidered mostly due to the cold weather we are experiencing in the Northeast this winter! We will be ready for some warm weather by early April and I think we are now leaning towards Hilton Head with a day trip to Savannah.
Have been reading all the HH threads I can.