Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Late Dinner in Santa Monica - Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:14 PM
JM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be sometime after 10pm on a Wed. night when we arrive in Santa Monica (Ambrose Hotel)from LAX. Need recommendations for dinner with our older teens.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 02:15 PM

You're fighting against (1) the late arrival time (on a Wednesday) and (2) the general lousy pickings in the immediate vicinity of your hotel. There's a fine Italian joint about 7 blocks away on Wilshire at 26th-- Drago-- but it closes at 11 PM on Wednesday.

There's an IHOP at the mediocre Best Western on Santa Monica, down 20th from your hotel-- but it closes at 10 PM. Driving up and down Wilshire or Santa Monica or even Pico (a few blocks south of SM Blvd), you'll find fast-food joints a-plenty.

If you're coming up Lincoln from LAX, you will find a local diner at Lincoln and Colorado called Norm's (on your right). It's open 24 hours. And I think there's a Denny's catty-corner from Norm's. A block up on the corner of Lincoln and Broadway you'll find Swingers, open till 2 AM. Its faux-hipster vibe should be good for a laugh, although the food is basic Diner Grub. If you're desperate, there's a Jack in the Box at the corner of Lincoln and Santa Monica.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of late-night joints in downtown SM (i.e., around the Third Street Promenade), but since I don't live near here any more, I'm coming up blank. For that matter, the places that would serve late-night grub would be bars, so....

Anyone else?!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Forget about going out to dinner. If you can get a late night snack from your Hotel. Get a good nights sleep and start fresh the next day. Otherwise you are looking at Denny's or an IHOP. Yuck!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How about the restaurant in the middle of LAX? The name excapes me, but it's the spaceship-looking structure. If you're landing around 9 p.m., it should still be open.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Hi,

You might want to post your request @ chowhound.com as well to get more response fr. the frequent eaters. gt;)

I know how it feels like to search for a decent meal after 11PM after a long day of travel. Note that some restaurants close the kitchen way before their closing time so do call them in advance or you may end up driving around town all night.

K.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:06 AM
JM
Original Poster

That's what I was afraid of - fast food or Denny's. I really appreciate the assistance. The hotel offers limited room service at that time. I did just have a thought. What about restaurants/coffee shops in the upscale Santa Monica hotels? Wouldn't they be open late?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:03 AM

They might be open, yes (but I have my doubts). They will also be two miles from the Ambrose. Your best shot will be a place like the Fairmont Miramar or the Loews (both on Ocean), although Toppers at the Huntley (Third and Wilshire) might still be serving dinner. Give them a call. It's not stellar, but it's food. And the views are great.

The restaurant at LAX, in the Theme Building, is called Encounters. It gets fair-to-good reviews (cool atmosphere, OK food). It's a possibility, but I'm not sure if it's open that late either. Might be.

Swingers would be my choice-- for the atmosphere. It would be a fun way to start a southern CA adventure.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Encounter (no "s") is quite good. They may be open for dinner that late. Their number for reservations is 310-215-5151 so you could give a call..
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM

mlgb: Thanks for the correction. Don't know where that "-s" came from...!

Can you think of other late-night places between LAX and eastern Santa Monica? I suppose Pann's on La Ciénega would be a possibility (isn't it open late? Good diner grub)-- but then they would need to find Olympic to make a speedy drive back to Santa Monica, turning right on 20th and heading up several blocks to the Ambrose.

C'mon out there-- someone must know of something there! East Santa Monica/Mar Vista/Palms areas? Just plain old West LA?!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:00 PM
lvk

If you subscribe to Zagats, you can click on the "Late night menu" feature and there is a list of restaurants open late. There aren't any listed in Santa Monica, but a few in Venice (Chaya Venice is one). I'm just not sure which ones would be appropriate for teens.

I know for sure that the Kettle in Manhattan Beach is open 24 hours, but that would require a little detour south of LAX before heading north to Santa Monica.

There's got to be a little Mexican hole-in-the-wall place open late. For a real L.A. experience, you could head over to Tito's Tacos on Washington in Culver City and wait in line (yes, even at 11 pm!)
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:16 PM
lvk

Just followed my own directions and found that the Pacific Dining Car on Wilshire in Santa Monica is open and serving dinner AND breakfast until 2 am. www.pacificdiningcar.com. That beats Denny's any day

Also, the sushi bar at Chaya Venice is open until midnight during the week.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Pacific Dining Car serves great food (steaks!!). It's also pretty expensive. Count on spending a minimum of $50 a person (unless you eat breakfast-- it's gotta be cheaper). Chaya Venice might be an interesting choice.

I'm thinking this is a job for the Chowhound types (www.chowhound.com) as kayla suggested, although I can guarantee someone will recommend some joint on Sawtelle serving chicken knuckle salad or something else made with the stuff swept off of a butcher shop or fishmonger's floor.

Isn't there a Wildflour pizzeria somewhere on Wilshire around 20th or so? They might be open too. Or maybe I'm having a grad school flashback. Funny thing is, I used to take my car in for service all the time at a Dodge place not far from the Ambrose, and can't for the life of me remember any restaurants being around there-- just some junky fast-food joints.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM

A few notes; Take extra 10':

1. Call the restaurant ahead to verify their kitchen open hour & their parking situtaion (parking nearby or street parking/valet parking). Print direction if you don't have a navigator in the rental car.

2. Make 2 selections in case of traffic delay or any last-minute change.

3. Call the hotel and inform them of your late arrival & confirm your room preference-- in either case you go to the restaurant before or after checking in the hotel.

4. Ask the hotel conierge & compare w/ other recommendation then narrow down to your preference-- if you have time. gt;

Now you can head to the restaurant and enjoy your meal before a good night sleep.

K.

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:36 PM

How about Zankou Chicken at 1716 S Sepulveda/Santa Monica Blvd? Not too far out of the way (a short hop north-east of the 405 Freeway/Santa Monica exit). And you can take it to the hotel room if you chose.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 03:04 AM
JM
Original Poster

Wow - what a great response...thank you everyone! I hope to be as lucky when I ask for LA restaurants. If anyone needs any info on Toronto, just let me know!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:01 AM

I think mlgb has come up with a really good suggestion-- ethnic, not expensive, unique, close to the hotel (maybe a mile or so east off of Santa Monica Blvd in west LA). It closes at 11 PM. Leaving the airport, just grab Sepúlveda and follow it up all the way into west LA (at that hour you should get there in 15 minutes, tops). It's at the corner of Sepúlveda and Santa Monica:

http://www.zankouchicken.com/chicken...tml#storehours

Good one, mlgb!