Driving to Chicago - Advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. On Monday I will be driving to Chicago from Lafayette, IN. I believe this is normally a 2 hour drive, however I have heard that there is construction which could add to the time.
We have to be in Chicago at the Westin River North hotel on N. Dearborn St by 6:45-7pm.

If we leave Lafayette at 4pm(I am right at I65), will that be enough time?
What is the traffic like in this area on a weekday evening?
Any other advice on the drive or getting to the hotel would be appreciated as well (planning on just using Mapquest directions).

Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:00 AM

The construction is worst at the Illinois/Indiana border although the Skyway does have some construction, but not nearly as bad. Take I-65 to the Skyway to the Dany Ryan/Kennedy and you shouldn't encounter any major problems at that time of day. Avoid taking I-65 to I-80/94 at all costs.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:31 AM

We drive this route at least once a year and it is one big pain--always has been!! However much time you think you need, add at least an hour!! The current (ubiquitous, I might add) construction combined with the typical *huge* number of trucks that are on the Rte 80 stretch make this a very unpleasant trip whose time to negotiate is almost impossible to accurately predict. However, your "rush hour" time frame can only make it worse...Sorry to sound so negative, but I have become so after years of making that trip!! Good luck.

PS--maybe swalter knows something that I do not, but I thought the only way to connect to the skyway from 65 was by getting on 80--I must be wrong!!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Socialworker, it's my understanding that I-65 "deadends" into the Indiana tollway north (i.e. the Skyway). Is this not the case? It appears that wa y on the map as well.
http://www.ai.org/dot/motoristinfo/pdfs/tollroadmap.pdf
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:23 AM

HI--since we are always going to a southwestern suburb when we do that trip, we *must* exit on 80 and endure the misery. Since we pass an exit for the skyway on 80, I just assumed that was how one accessed the skyway. I actually do not know what happens on 65 past the 80 exit. It makes sense that there would be a direct connection that allows one to avoid 80, I just did not know about it, which is why I said that I must be wrong. I certainly put more credence in the map!! I apologize if I have been confusing in my lack of direct knowledge....
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Socialworker-We drive the I-80/94 route every week throughout the summer going from the swburbs to Michigan so I feel like I can recite route in my sleep! That's the only reason I know it so well...
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:00 AM
JJ5

Yes, the skyway is the better choice.

I take this route to Michigan nearly every week and back. The much harder one from further West on 80.

swalter518, the following has been the best. I don't suggest this for everyone unless you have good knowledge of these streets- they do NOT run straight and curve/ turn repeatedly.

Best so far three weeks running coming back home to IL from MI:

Exit at Indianapolis Exit (this exit is finished and loops with little traffic after a couple of right turns) onto an easy approach/turn to Dixie Hwy, from which you can reach Ridge Road easily (and you do know Ridge Rd. onwards, I'm sure).

We tried Cline etc. as you detailed and this one has worked the best with the small town traffic just after exiting 80 and for that narrow corridor which is all stop and go. Plus you are not going through Ford Heights, like you do if you proceed further South to Rte.30.

You probably know better than I, but just in case you are stuck- try the Indianapolis Blvd. Exit with no misgivings.