Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Late arrival in Honolulu - where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had enough airmiles to redeem for free tickets, which didn't leave us with much choice in flight time or airport. We arrive in HNL at 11:33 after leaving home 14 hours earlier. I hate to spend a lot on hotel - what is our best option for cheap hotel near airport? Also could we consider skipping a hotel? Is there anywhere to stay at airport like a lounge or a 24 hour restaurant nearby. Also how late are car rental counters open?

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:29 PM

go to the Honolulu website. Sorry to say I never stayed in the HNL airport. I do think it is your best bet for getting out early to another island.

I have never been disappointed when choosing a standard that is having a sale like Marriott, Embassy Suites, Weston. Again go to the website and pick a cheapy.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Sarah, what is the Honolulu website? I went to visit-oahu.com and found an all night breakfast place, eggs-n-things in Waikiki that looks fun. Maybe we'll just cab down there and hang out and get first flight out to Maui. I also found Best Western but price I got on line was $111.00 - seems like a lot for a few hours! I'll recheck as it gets closer to our trip
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:36 PM
iceeu2

You might try priceline..We got the Renaissance Ilikai for $60 for a one nighter...Cab fare is $25 each way. You could do that and not be in a rush the next morning to get to the airport...have a leisurely stroll, breakfast, etc.
Check out biddingfortravel.com to see the prices others have gotten and the zones you might want to stay in.
Have fun

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:46 PM

http://honolulu.airporthotelguide.co...orthotels.html
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:02 PM

Definitely do priceline. Depending on when you go, you could get a room for $50 or less. All the info you need is at biddingfortravel.com.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:12 PM

We stayed at the Honolulu Airport Hotel in February before flying out to Kauai the next morning. The hotel is located within five minutes of the airport and they have a free shuttle van service. The rooms were basic doubles, but they did have a small microwave and refrigerator. We paid $85 plus tax and did not have reservations; we missed our connecting flight. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. I am still trying to decide if we'll stay in a nice hotel 2 nights in HNL before going to Maui or stay in a near airport hotel for cheap to rest and go to Maui early in morning. We would probably come back and stay on Waikiki 1 or 2 nights at end of trip. Others posted in another thread that Oahu is disappointing after other islands, but it might also be a way to readjust to real life!