Last minute weekend trip to Dayton, OH

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the need to get out of town this weekend and am thinking about taking the family to Dayton. It would be a quick and easy trip from our home and we have never been there.

I think our kids (8 & 4) would enjoy the Boonshaft Discovery Museum and we would all enjoy the Air Force museum. Otherwise, I am sure we could fill the time with some shopping or a trip to the dairy/ice cream place in Yellow Springs perhaps.

I am looking for advice regarding a couple of things:
1) a place to stay (w/indoor pool)
2) fun, unique place(s) to eat
3) have I planned too little/too much?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:35 AM

The Marriott in Dayton is pretty nice. Here is a link for a thread on Dayton awhile back.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:43 AM

If you happen to be in the southern part of Dayton, Sake is a great informal Japanese restaurant w/ hibachi cooking. My kids love the food and the entertainment of it. It's casual so no worries there. It would be more expensive than an Applebee's kind of place, but fun. Address is 2146 Miamisburg-Centerville, Centerville OH. Between I-675 and I-75 on this road. Don't go the same day as your Yellow Springs excursion as they are in two different directions. Too much driving.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:56 AM
cd

melh
The following is a short trip report on Dayton. We went a few months ago.
Author: cd
Date: 02/08/2004, 04:15 pm
Message: Just returned from a wonderful 2 days, one night in Dayton Ohio. Stayed at the Marriott Dayton. Rooms are on the small side but well maintained and clean and mattress's are comfy. Pool,sauna,jacuzzi and excercise room was enjoyed briefly. Rooms were 75.00 and included a huge breadfast with made to order omlets. Spent most of the day at the USAF Museum. Talk about BIG! Wear good walking shoes! Loved the IMAX.
For dinner we went to the Pine Club on Brown St and had a blast! We and our grown children spent the first hour at the bar as that is a typical wait. (we arrived at 5:00pm) by 6:00pm the bar wait was three deep and the wait for a table was 3 hours! The bartender entertained us with the history of the restaurant and pointed out President Bush's picture when he ate there (and also waited nearly an hour). The steaks were some of the best ever. Thanks for those recommendations Patrick! Our kids live in a differant state and we're always trying to find places to meet for a weekend and have fun! This was a winner!

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 07:47 AM

I agree that the Pine Club is awesome!!!! However, during the evening I'm not so sure it would be a good choice for a family with an 8 and 4 year old. The wait can be very long.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions.

We decided to make it a day trip instead of staying the weekend. We went to the AF museum and thoroughly enjoyed it. My 8-yr old especially enjoyed seeing the presidential airplanes. (I'm glad we were there on a mild spring day, because I imagine it could get quite warm in the hangar). We will have to go back on another trip and see more of the AF museum. We probably made it through half of it.
We will also plan to go to the Boonshoft museum & Young's dairy farm on another trip.

Afterwards, we drove a short way toward Dayton on I-75 and found a huge clustering of family-friendly restaurants near Little York Rd exit. We chose Outback for dinner, but there were many other chain restaurants.

Thanks again!