Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

last minute NJ shore lodging for just one night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We unexpectedly find ourselves with some free time this weekend and are considering going somewhere on the Jersey shore (we're in Phila. area) but could only stay Sat. night, not two nights. Does anyone have a place to recommend staying that does not require a two night stay?

We don't need luxury, and given it's last minute and the one night thing, we know we'll likely need to settle for a place that's inland but we'd at least hope for a close drive.

If you read this too late for this weekend but have a recommendation, I'd still like to hear it as this will probably come up again.

Thanks in advance,
Laura
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:48 AM

When I am in situations like yours I have been very successful calling either the town's Chamber of Commerce or the Tourism Center. It has worked for me in Cape May, Pacific Grove and Bar Harbor. The accommodations will probably not be luxurious, however, I explain my requirements and stress that the rooms must be clean.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Stone Harbor?

Wildwood?

Cape May?

Long Beach Island?
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Did the same thing 2 weekends ago, went to Seaside Heights and stayed here. Just 2 blocks to the beach, very quiet and clean and off street parking is included. They had no problem with a one night stay. http://www.metropolemotel.com/
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM

There are rooms available this weekend at the Jersey Shore.

Unless you are a gambler, I would go for Ocean City, North Wildwood or Wildwood Crest.

Check it all out on this Web site: MyJerseyShore.com

Have a great weekend!

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:37 PM

I've always found that if I just get on the phone and start dialing, I can usually find a place that has a room and is willing to let the 2-night minimum slide (unless it is a holiday weekend). You need to be a little flexible as it is high season...I think with a little persistance in dialing, you'll find something that is much closer than an inland hotel.

Look over the listings on www.capemay.com if you have any interest in staying in that particular shore town (you don't mention your preference).
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
There were hotels with vacancy signs up in Stone Harbor last weekend. I think this summer is very slow and they will take what they can get.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions, which I plan to use! It looks like we might not be going to the shore this weekend after all (too long a story to tell), but I have no doubt whatsoever that the same situation will likely present itself again this summer.