Last minute advice - Sequoia National Park

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last minute advice - Sequoia National Park

My husband and I are heading off for a 4 night camping trip to Sequoia National Park next week. We are camping at the Lodgepole Campground, with a site on the river.

I am just looking for any last minute hints or recommendations.

A logistical question - where are the closest gas stations to the park?

Our plan is to head up to Sequoia on Wed morning via Hwy 180 (coming from San Jose), stopping at Grant Grove for a walk and for lunch, then continuing on to Lodgepole, getting there in the early afternoon. Is there a good place to get deli sandwiches there, or should be pack a lunch?

We will have Thu, Fri, and Sat in the park.

One day we plan to drive to Kings Canyon - any recommendations on good spots for a picnic and nice hikes - something in the 2-4 mile range?

We also plan to climb the stairs to the top of Moro Rock, explore the Giant Forest area, and hike to Tokopah Fall, and tour Crystal Caves.

Any input would be great.

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM

For hiking, pick up a set of the hiking maps they have for the parks, there are four or five different maps for different sections of the park describing hikes of all levels. One for Grant Grove, one for Lodgepole/Wolverton, one for Giant Forest, one for Kings Canyon (this is called "Cedar Grove"). The hiking in Kings Canyon is largely up, and up and up, out of the canyon into the high country. But there is a level trail on the canyon floor, mostly paralleling the road so it doesn't "go anywhere" but is good for getting out of the car. Zumwalt Meadows is an easy short loop hike on the canyon floor, too. There are no giant sequoias in the canyon itself, so don't expect to see them there.

There is no gas available within the park boundaries, but there is a gas station at Hume Lake, near the Grant Grove area. Also possibly at Stony Creek, between Grant Grove and Sequoia in a little chunk of National Forest between the National Parks.

The south end of Sequoia, Giant Forest is the best area for viewing the Big trees. Lots of easy trails where you can make a loop of almost any length. At the edge of Giant Forest there are amazing views down into the valley and of the peaks to the east. The best view is from the top of Moro Rock, but there are lots of other places with the same view that are less crowded. Be sure to go all the way back to Crescent Meadow, it is possibly the most beautiful place to see the sequoias, a large open meadow ringed by the trees. A hike around the meadow is well worth doing, only about a mile or two. Another short hike in the area is to take the High Sierra Trail one mile to Eagle View, where you'll see the high peaks to the east (same view as Moro Rock but without people and with less vertigo).

It's a long winding drive down from Giant Forest to Three Rivers, about twenty miles and 5000 feet down, so don't plan on a quick trip to pick up groceries or gas in that direction. There's a pretty well stocked grocery store at Lodgepole and at the Grant Grove, also a restaurant at Grant Grove. Not gourmet by any means, but if you don't have food it will provide.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:02 PM

I have pictures taken in the "John Muir rock" area, a huge rock over a river in the King Canyon. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get there - was on a guided tour. Beautiful place. Anybody knows how to get there?
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Ooopss... sorry... bon voyage of course
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:44 PM
maj

There is a visitor center at Grant's Grove where we bought (about $1-2 each) some maps (probably the ones Sequoia370 is talking about). They were extremely helpful. Also you can get them at the Museum in Sequoia. I can tell you our experiences, in addition to what has been already said -- hopefully will help you.

We got gas in Fresno and then at Hume Lake. They did have a gas pump also about halfway down the road to Kings Canyon, but the area wasn't open yet and the pump looked ancient.

We stopped at the Lodgepole area and found a pretty well stocked grocery (for the area), a deli (didn't try it, but looked like they had a good selection of sandwiches) and ate at a pizza/hamburger type area (food was actually pretty good).

Right past Grant's Grove is Panorama Point. A short walk to a nice view on a clear day.

When you go to Kings Canyon, there is also a lunch bar in Cedar Grove. Right next to the road is a small picnic area right next to Grizzly Falls. It is also a very short hike to Roaring River Falls. Liked Zumwait Meadows too. Mist Falls is a really nice hike. About 8 miles long, but level for the first part. It follows the river. If you do this hike, go to the top of the falls and look back -- great view.

Have a great time!

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:21 PM

FainaAgain at number 3, John Muir Rock is at the very end of the highway into Kings Canyon, Calif. Hwy 180. The area is called "Road's End" because the road... well, it *ends*... there. In a little loop. It's a short walk from the parking area to the rock, i.e, the rock is not just there at the carpark.

But the trails goes on and on fairly level to Mist Falls, a longish day hike but nothing too strenuous.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. The hiking recommendations sound terrific. We will be bringing most of our food with us as we will be camping, but it is nice to know there are some supplies in the park if we run out of something or are jonesing for a piece of pizza.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Thank you, Sequoia. J_Correa, will you post a report?
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Of course I will post a report.

Last night I had a dream about walking past some trailers and having a bear run by me, so maybe this report will be quite an exciting read - !!!