LASSEN VOLCANIC NATIONAL PARK

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LASSEN VOLCANIC NATIONAL PARK

My huaband and I are spending days visiting the park and surrounding areas next week. Any tips on where to stay, where to eat and what not to miss?
Any information would be appreciated as we are totally unfamiliar with this area.
Thank you
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:43 PM

It's been several years since we've been to Lassen, but the Bumpass Hell Trail takes you to the thermal area so I wouldn't miss that. It's a 3 mile roundtrip hike. You will want to drive from one end of the park to the other for the views.

http://www.nps.gov/lavo/lassen_roadsandtrails.htm

Burney Falls at McArthur Burney Falls Memorial State Park are 50 miles north of the northern entrance of Lassen National Park.

We camp and cook so I can't help with the other stuff.

Utahtea

Utahtea
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:28 AM

We were in Lassen on June 29th and there was still a very thick layer of snow throughout the park. Many of the picnic areas and trails were closed due to the snow. It was lovely to drive through, I had been there about 45 years ago(!) and was anxious to see it again. The Chateau has been torn down and there were very limited services at the park.
We stay in Redding at the LaQuinta whenever we're in that area. We like the swimming pool and the Cattlemen's Restaurant right next door.
Burney Falls is a lovely area as are the roads along the Russian River and the little town of Paradise. Shasta Lake is also beautiful.
I hope the snow layer has diminished in Lassen by the time you arrive.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! Lassen was beautiful and nice and quiet compared to other parks. Slight problem with millions of mosquitos on beautiful King creek waterfall trail. Bumpass Hell trail just opened when we arrived and well worth the nice walk (through snow at some points) We stayed at Child Meadows, 9 miles from park entrance. beautiful location in meadows & forest nearby but cabins too near the road!! So only stayed one night!
Diana
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM

I think mosquitos are just a general problem this year due to the high precipitation over the winter. We were in Sequoia a couple weeks ago and got bit too.

I'm glad you had a good trip to Lassen - I am looking forward to exploring that area too. My dad just bought a piece of property up near there and is building a house. I think we will get quite familiar with Lassen after a few years