Search

Las Vegas/UT/AZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas/UT/AZ

We are planning a family trip out west this July. We would like to make a circle. I with planning the itineray. We want to visit zion, bryce, lake powell, monument valley and the south rim grand canyon.
1. Is it doable?
2. How much time to spend at each park?
3. Any info on float or boat trip at lake powell?
4. Horseback riding at bryce (early morning)

thanks for any info.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to give my dates. July 8-15.
Flying into vegas late on the 8th.
flying out of vegas at 11pm on the 15th
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM

You are flying in late on the 8th so that's used. You need to be back in Las Vegas early on the 15th so that day is used. So that just leaves you with 6 days to visit 5 very scenic places and also drive almost 1,000 miles which will eat up about 16 hours of time. You are looking at a whirl wind tour of the area.

You have enought time for the following if you decide not to drop anything.

July 8 arrive Las VEgas late.

July 9 drive to Zion early in the morning. See as much of the park as you can. Spend night in Springdale or in Park. 160 miles less than 3 hour drive.

July 10 drive to Bryce. See the park. Do a horseback ride if you want. If you want to ride IN the park, then you have to book the ride through the park. 86 miles - 2 hr drive.

June 11 Drive to Page, AZ If you leave Bryce early enough in the morning you might be able to do the afternoon float trip or do a short boat tour on Lake Powell. You won't have time for the all day boat tour to Rainbow Bridge. 155 miles - 3 1/2 hr. drive

June 12 Drive to Monument Valley. See park. 125 miles - little over 3 hour drive.

June 13 Drive to Grand Canyon see some of park. 180 miles - about 4 hour drive but give yourself more time because there will be overlooks to stop at before you reach the S. Rim Village.

June 14 See sunrise and take off for Las Vegas. 280 miles and about 5 hour drive.

June 15 depart Las Vegas at 11:00

Utahtea
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
maw

cattzplay--click on my screenname to see a very recent post with good info.
Several ppl, including utahtea, gave hints/tips on these same subjects in that thread titled "info please--Bryce horse ride (etc..)
Also if you look under utahtea's name you'll find TONS of good utah advice!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM

Nice job on the itinerary, utahtea.
cattzplay, you might consider doing a smaller loop and spending a little more time in Zion, Bryce & GC. Or even just skip MV - it will be scorching hot there. Lake Powell in July sounds nice though. Is your flight home from LV at 11 PM? If that's true, then you would have plenty of time on the 15th to get to LV from the Grand Canyon. It would be nice if you could work in another day in Zion. No matter what you decide, you'll have an amazing time. It's such a special place.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM

Oooops, my bad...I was thinking 11 a.m. on the 15th. Sharondi is right, you probably would have enough time to drive from the Grand Canyon to Las Vegas on the 15th.

You can also do this itinerary in reverse....which would probably be my first choice.

Utahtea