LAS VEGAS TO BRYCE & ZION CANYON

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WE ARE PLANNING A TRIP TO ZION AND BRYCE CANYONS IN JULY. FIRST FLYING INTO VEGAS FOR A FEW DAYS AND THEN 5 DAYS IN UTAH. WE ARE VERY INTERESTED IN SOME HIKING (EASY TO MODERATE), HORSE BACK RIDING, AND ATV RENTAL. DO YOU THINK IT'S WORTHWHILE TO GO ON AN ATV TOUR? ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ANYONE CAN MAKE WOULD BE HELPFUL. ALSO, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OF ANY GOOD PLACES TO EAT IN THE AREA. THANKS!
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I did this same trip last year and I loved it. Vegas to Zion to Bryce to the GC! I used ATV Wilderness Tours just outside of St. George. Choose the "Hurricane Sands" trip. It was awesome! The owner, Jim, is a fabulous guy. He is fun, safe, and customer-focused. You won't be disappointed!
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:23 PM

I also did this trip last summer..including GC North Rim. First I would recommend a search of the forum for this subject..there is lots of discussion in the past year or so.

We did the horse ride in Bryce which was fantastic. The same group also does the horse ride in Zion, great guys. Do not confuse this with horse rides outside the park (like the one that starts from Ruby's). I highly recommend the canyon overlook trail at Zion. Many people will suggest the Narrows trail which is an easy trak until you get to the river, then walk in the river. Nice novelty but nasty walking.

Restaurants, outside of Vegas, are limited. Most places are family type restaurants and cafes which were fine for me.

We did not do the ATV thing so can't help you there.

Do try a search of the forums.

Have fun.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:40 AM

July will be hot for hiking so make sure you do it early morning or late evening.

In Zion I recommend the Riverside Walk which is a two mile easy round trip hike which takes you to the "Gateway to the Narrows" if you wear shoes that you can wear in the river then venture a little ways down the river (as long as there is not a thunderstorms approaching!) IMHO it's fun to walk in the river.

Lower and Middle Emeral Pools are easy but upper Emeral pool is slightly harder but worth it. You will also want to go to Weeping Rock.

I've never done an ATV Tour but it's my understanding that these do NOT take place IN the Parks. Also, if you want to horse back ride IN Bryce, then you need to book the ride at the park consession. There is a 250 weight limit and they have a scale and they will weight you. If you book a horseback ride at a private place then you don't ride in the Bryce Park.

In Bryce I highly recommend the Navajo - Queens Garden loop hike. Start with the Navajo loop first and come up in the Queen's Garden.

A fun thing to do at Zion is to rent inter-tubes and tube down the Virgin River. This has been banned in the park, but you start in Springdale which is right across the river from Zion and you see really good views of Zion as you float....besides it's lots of fun and a way to keep cool in the middle of the day. Also, you can just go down to the river and get cooled off if you want.

Utahtea
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

JACI, PLACEAU & UTAHTEA,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS. IT IS VERY HELPFUL. I'VE BEEN READING INFORMATION ON THIS FORUM FOR A WHILE NOW AND FINALLY DECIDED TO REGISTER AND GET INVOLVED. THIS IS AWSOME! THANKS AGAIN.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM

You are very welcome but I do have one request.

Please turn off your caps lock.

Have a great time on your SW trip!