Las Vegas Shows

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas Shows

I will be going to Vegas in the month of May. This will be my first trip. I was wondering when I should purchase tickets. I would like to see a high end show like "O" and some less expensive shows also. My wife and her Mother and Father will be on the trip also.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM

You should purchase tickets to O or any other big name show like that now.

Some shows you are looking for may be available at the 1/2 price booth (some of the topless shows, magic shows, comedy shows, etc.).

Other shows, the earlier you purchase the better the tickets you'll get. Unless there's a risk of cancelling your trip, I'd purchase them as soon as your plans are set.

If you post what shows specifically you're interested in and what dates you'll be in LV I'm sure you could get better advice as to what might be available 1/2 price.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Have not been to many shows in LV. However, we will be going in April and I just booked for Mystere(the oldest Cirque du Soleil) and they were almost full for the night we wanted.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Keep in mind that if you are booked in the hotel that has the show, you can ask the hotel concierge to get you tickets. This will almost always get you better tickets than going through the booking website.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM

I loved Mystere. Pretty subjective but a couple of my other favorites:

Scintas
Rita Rudner
Lance Burton
Follies Bergere
Comedy Stop at Tropicana
others that no longer exist....

I have also seen various headliner acts...like George Carlin. There is almost always someone interesting in Vegas.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Lance Burton is a great magician and showman!! We saw him 2 yrs ago. We just came back from LV on Monday of this week and this time saw the comedian George Wallace at the Flamingo. He was wonderful!!!! And unlike some comedians, he does not use a lot of foul language, so would be appropriate for a multi-generational group. About 3 years ago, we saw George Carlin and while I loved him in the 70s, he is just too bitter to be funny, IMHO. George Wallace, on the other hand, had you rolling in the aisles.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:52 PM

RBCal is right about the hotel concierge getting tickets. We have reservations at Bellagio in April and our concierge obtained great seats at "KA" for us (since MGM and Bellagio are part of the same resort group). The best part: we have the option of cancelling both the hotel and the show with a full refund if for some reason we can't make the trip.

Maggi
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM

PS--here is a useful resource---you can scroll thru all the current and coming shows. http://www.lvol.com/lvoleg/lvshows.html
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Book ASAP. You may find that things you want to see are already full. I saw MYSTERE. I thought it was awesome. Going again in June of this year for our convention, but I do not think that I have enough free time to see a show this time around.

Seems to me that I vaguely remember something about a place where you can get tickets last minute to a random show. Does anyone remember or know of what I writing about?? I may have to post that in another thread.

This way If we do manage to get a night off maybe we can see a show. Man I hate it when they send us to these cool places and I actually have to work and can't go out and play.

Have fun in Vegas! There is so much to see and do, I am sure you will.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM

dsm22 - That would be the 1/2 price place I mentioned above. There are several around. You can look in the mall by the Coke bottle/M&M store for Tickets 2Night. Tix 4 Tonight is a little further north but on the same side of the street. Here's a coupon and line pass for them:

http://www.lasvegas-nv.com/tix-4-tonight-coupon.htm

One of them is also in the little strip mall near 7-11 just south of Aladdin but I don't remember which. They may also have locations further north. I think both have web sites if you google them, but they don't list what shows are available, just locations and hours.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Thanks so much jlm_mi. I didn't realize that was it. To tell you the truth I saw "topless shows..." and sort of tuned it out. Sorry!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so Much for the information. I found the more expensive shows to see from this site. I also was wondering what shows not to see when it comes to the cheaper ones?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:35 AM

dsm22 - Just to avoid any confusion, by "topless" I don't mean strip clubs. I'm referring to shows like Skintight, La Femme, X, V, Fashionistas . . . They are really shows, but done topless. Some of them also have covered shows earlier in the day so that you don't have to see the topless ones if you don't want.

Also, the magic shows I mentioned are not the Lance Burton variety - they'd be lower end. Same with comedy. No Rita Rudner, but Second City and some comedy clubs.

cweldon - There are soooooo many cheaper shows available. And tastes vary so widely as well. I'm not sure anyone could make a definitive list. The only thing I've heard is that Crazy Girls at the Riviera is pretty bad. We saw Folies Bergere and La Femme. Folies Bergere was fun. La Femme was decent, but only worth it because tickets were 1/2 price.

Which of the cheaper shows are you considering? Or at least what variety? Might be easier to make recommendations that way. You can also see reviews at:

http://www.vegas.com/shows/?vc1=1&vc2=txtl_txt_shw_3
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM

We saw KA last week -the newest Cirque show at MGM and it was great, but if you've never seen a Cirque show-start with O. Definately book your tickets now though.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Lance Burton is great for magic, I also favor the Amazing Jonathan & Penn & Teller. If Harvey Korman & Tim Conway are currently in Vegas, they are not to be missed.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:46 PM

We just saw Rita Rutner's show. Though she's funny, the show was BORING. Basically, she walks across an 18-20 foot stage that is 6 feet deep with a curtain behind her and tells jokes. EVERY word is rehearsed. Okay, so she's probably been doing the same speel for years now. No improv here at all. No stage presence. Don't waste your money. All 6 of us were disappointed.

We also saw the We Will Rock You show at the Paris where we stayed. It was very good...funny, and if you like Queen's music, you'll enjoy this. There are many funny "puns" to in the show.

We couldn't get tickets to O as they were booked 3 months out (we were in Vegas 3/7-3/7/05. Many of the finer shows will be booked, so check into things NOW.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:17 AM

Was wondering if anyone has seen Celine Dion and if so, what did you think of it?? Is it worth it?? Probably not any show is worth the prices they're charging for this, but I was just wondering..
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM

We were in The Vegas in July and while we did not buy tix for Celine Dion, 2 in our party did. They loved it. Yep, $150+ is not worth it to me, either. The ticket price doesn't insulate one from the cell phones and mindless chatter in the periphery.

There's always the Celine store right there where a person could save the $380.00 to rent 2 seats for a couple of hours and instead, take home a sweatsuit emblazoned with her name.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Just goty back from Vegas this week and took three other people , (at $150 Per), to see KA. What can I say? The special effects are amazing and the acrobatics are marvelous but unless you're a fan of ballets the entire story line will likely dissappoint and in fact the music is probably the least enjoyable part. The entire show is a story without dialogue and following it is sometimes difficult. From the lacklustre applause and comments heard around me the show is not a great success. Certasinly I didn't feel the $600 was well spent.

My suggestion is that most people will find Mystere, 'O' and Zumanity much more entertaining and unless you absolutely love the special effect and acrobatics you should pass on KA
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, Gary, thanks for the review. We're heading for Vegas in October (LOVED "O") and were thinking of going to see KA but your comments leave me a little cold to the idea.

We did see Elton John last year, and are going back for a second round. $150 -- ha! Premium seats for EJ are $250, not to mention the big fat ticketmaster service charge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -