las vegas "greasing the palm"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your thoughts on when I "greasing the old palm" will get me a better seat or service?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Yes, no question about it. Timing, of course, is everything. Tip the valet when parking to get your car near the front so it's easy to retrieve. Ask the hotel concierge to make the hotel reservation, then tip him/her to ensure she lets the restaurant know you are a special customer. After-the-fact gratuities are nice, but merely an expression of appreciation.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM

I've never had to grease anybodys palm to get my car back quickly from a valet and I doubt that tipping a concierge will get you any more special treatment when he/she books a table for you in a restaurant.

There are three groups of people who throw money around in this way: the famous and rich (but not the plain old rich), hicks from the sticks, and the tragically insecure.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM

It used to be that the expectation was that you gave the person $20 or more to get you a "good" seat in a show.

Nowadays most of those shows have reserved seats.

I, too, have never had to wait that long for a returned vehicle and no amount of money is going to get yours there sooner than Sharon Stone's so save your money.

If you are going anywhere that it takes "greasing the palm" to get you any level of service IMO you are in the wrong place.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I'm probably an insecure hick, but there have been many times that an upfront tip has been a great investment. Employees like to take care of those who take care of them. Back to the haywagon.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
kealalani

Once asked a concierge to make reservations for us in Palm Beach. Tipped him maybe $10 for his trouble, and he countered with complimentary desserts for the table of 4. Like triangle trade, restaurant gets business, concierge gets tip, and we get dessert!
In vegas? maybe!