Search

Las vegas - Canyons itinerary, suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las vegas - Canyons itinerary, suggestions needed

Hi,

We have come up with the following itinerary and need advise please. We are taking along our teenagers (14 & 18).

July 1st = late arrival in Las Vegas

July 2nd = stroll around in Las Vegas and relax by the pool.

July 3rd = Depart for Grand Canyon area (sleep in Williams or Valle?)

July 4th = Visit Kolb Studio, Yavapai Observation station, East & West rim Drive, Pehaps celebrate 4th of July in that area

July 5th = Depart for Page and settle in the hotel, then see Lake Powell

July 6th = do the Colorado river float boat

July 7th = Depart for Monument Valley, visit Monument valley museum, Navajo National monument, Betatakin Canyon Keel Seel Village

July 8th = Depart for Bryce Canyon, do a trail there

July 9th = depart for Zion National Park, walk in the Narrow's

July 10th = Depart for Mount Charleston

July 11th = Depart for Las Vegas and stay until departure July 15th.

We are not to sure abut the Monument Valley part of our trip and really need advise about that part of our trip
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 07:22 PM

Forth of July in this AREA! OH MY...I hope you like CROWDS! And my first recommendation will be MAKE RESERVATIONS!

Williams to the Grand Canyon is 60 miles. You will have to drive this to the Canyon, back to your room on the 4th and then your 60 miles farther from Page. Valle is only 30 miles but I would suggest trying to find lodging in Tusayan. You are only a few miles from the Grand Canyon and can get there early for sunrises or stay late for sunsets. There is also an I-Max in town.

You don't mention where you are planning on spending the night of the 7th after Monument Valley and Navajo National Monument.

At Navajo National Monument the trail down to Keel Seel is a 17 miles round trip and you have to have a permit to do the hike and they are on a first come first serve basis. Betatakin is a 5 mile round trip ranger lead hike. You have to have one of the 25 ticket given out each day to go on the hike and they are on a first come first serve basis that morning. You can however see Betatakin from a distance on the 1 mile Sandal Trail.

I've never been to Mt.Charlston, but IMHO you're time would probably be better spent in the National Parks.

Utahtea
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Your trip sounds a bit rushed to me - particularly the Monument Valley, Bryce and Zion days. IMHO I would add in an extra day or two in there and cut of some time in Las Vegas (but then I'm not much of a LV person.)
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise. I thought that being in the Grand Canyon on the 4th of July there would be more activities going on but maybe the activities are only more traffic??

What if I switch my trip around and start the other way and finih with the Grand Canyon before heading back to Las Vegas?

Should we spend more time in Zion & Bryce Canyons and skip Monument Valley alltogether? Maybe go to the North rim instead?

By the way, I am not to much of a LV person myself but my hubby and kids love it there for some reason.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:42 AM

I don't think anywhere in that area will be better on the 4th of July weekend. You might be better off spending first few days in Las Vegas and heading towards the parks on Monday, July 5th.

You are doing a lot in a short time. I would try to squeeze at least one more day of siteseeing out of your DH and kids.

I just noticed that you were going to Page, AZ first then Monument Valley. Once you leave the Grand Canyon you could save about 85 miles by going to Monument Valley first and then Page, AZ. I think I would drop Monument Valley unless you could squeeze a couple more days into siteseeing. There is plenty to do in Bryce & Zion. You teenagers might enjoy renting intertubes in Springdale, Utah to ride on the Virgin River....my boys always loved that.

Another thing to think about. It's hot in July. Try to do your hiking in the early morning or late evenings.

Utahtea
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Utahtea. Right now, my DH is trying to convince me to stay longer in LV and less in the Canyons so it's going to be impossible to get him to spend less time in LV.

How many days should I stay in the Zion and Bryce Canyons and should I visit the north rim if I skip the Monument valley?

Where should we spend the night in the Bryce and Zion area. Should we stay in Springdale for both parks or should we move to a different town closer to Bryce when we visit there?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:53 AM

The N. Rim will be cooler than the S. Rim. I know a lot of people prefer the N. Rim, but I'm a big fan of the S. Rim. Mileage wise the S. rim is a little longer but the N. Rim is a lot slower driving so time wise it's almost a toss up.

I also prefer Zion over Bryce and if you want to cut down the number of days you have to move from motel to motel, then I would spend 3 nights in Springdale. One full day for Zion and one full day for Bryce. I would also do the float trip on the Colorado River. My 17 year old nephew was with us when we went and he loved it!

We always camp, so I can't recommend any places for lodging. If you do decide to move to Bryce, then try to stay in the park or Ruby's Inn is the next closest place.

Utahtea
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again Utahtea, you have been very helpful. So we will stay in Springdale 3 nights and try to find information about the intertubes in Springdale.

Other questions I have in mind are :

North Rim: how long a drive is it from Page to the North Rim? Should we do this on the way to Springdale or does it leave us to little time and we should really spend the night there?

Page: How many nights should we stay there? What would be nice to visit in that area besides the Lake and Colorado float trip?

Thanks again, I appreciate all your help
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:31 AM

From Page, AZ to the N. Rim is 120 miles but as I mentioned it's slow driving. I would plan on about 4 hours...ya never know when you will get stuck behind a motorhome.

From the N. Rim to Springdale is another 120 miles and plan on it taking another 4 hours. If you just want to go to a view point as say you've seen the Grand Canyon you could probably squeeze that in a day, but otherwise plan on spending the night if you can get a reservation.

Utahtea
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

4 hours of driving is enough for one day so I will try to get accomodation around North rim.

Any suggestions for that area?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:02 PM

It might be too late to book but the best place is the National Park Lodge at the North Rim.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks detraveler, I looked up the Grand Canyon Lodge website and it looks really nice but a bit too pricey just for a place to sleep.

Looks like it is the only hotel around though, so we might have to skip the north rim altogether and spend more time on the south rim or Lake Powell.

What would you suggest?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:06 PM

With your limited time, I wouldn't try to do both the N. & S. Rim.

From Page, AZ to Springdale, Utah is only 120 miles if you take Hwy 89 and skip the N. Rim.

I forgot you asked about things to do in Page, AZ. You can rent jet skies, boats, go swimming, there is a hike to Horseshoe Bend that's a short hike. Also a tour of Upper Antelope Slots Canyon is very interesting.

We did this loop on our vacation last August with my BIL, SIL and 17 year old nephew. SIL and nephew had never been to the area before. I have pictures up on my website:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pictu...ation.list.htm

Utahtea
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM

We stayed at the Quality Inn just south (outside) of the canyon entrance, in Tusayan, the same city utahtea suggested. We weren't there during a holiday weekend though. It was a good bang for the buck enough considering we wanted to be in the canyon to see the sunset and not have a long drive to get back to the hotel. We were also able to catch the last IMAX right after the sunset.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

We will definetely sty in Tusayan while in the S.Rim area but looks like the N. Rim is not as touristy so there is not as many hotels.

We are seriously considering skipping the North Rim and spend more time elsewhere but are hesitating between adding a night to Page or adding a night to South Rim (Tusayan).

We are also hesitating between starting off with the Grand Canyon or starting off with Zion Canyon...

What would you do?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

I was looking at the hotel rates in Tusayan...They are a bit over our budget. It might be the perfect location but I think that we will have to find a hotel further away from the GC
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Lodging is expensive....that's why we love to camp! There is quite a savings by staying in Valle or Williams and if you have to drive, then you have to drive.

Utahtea
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

That's why we love to camp to but we can't bring along our tent trailer on the plane this time

Thanks again Utahtea
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Well, we looked at hotels in Williams and for the difference in rates and the distance from the Grand Canyon, we have decided to splurged on the Rodeway Inn Red Feather.

I have read some reviews and it looks ok. Here is what our new itinerary looks like after all the good advise that we reveived so far (we finaly decided to start with the Grand Canyon because hotels are cheaper at Springdale for the 8,9 & 10th then for 4th of July period)

July 1st = late arrival in Las Vegas

July 2nd = stroll around in Las Vegas and relax by the pool.

July 3rd = Depart for Grand Canyon area (sleep in Tusayan)

July 4th = Visit Kolb Studio, Yavapai Observation station, East & West rim Drive, Pehaps celebrate 4th of July in that area

July 5th = Depart for Page and settle in the hotel, then see Lake Powell

July 6th = do the Colorado river float boat

July 7 = Sightseing around Lake Powell

July 8 = Depart for Springdale and see on the way if we are up to do a detour via the Grand Canyon North Rim

July 9 = Early hiking in the Narrow's and inter-tubing on the Virgin river in the late afternoon

July 10th = Sightseing (hiking) in Bryce Canyon

July 11th = Depart for Las Vegas for the remainder of our vacation

Please tell me how this itinerary look to you

Thanks
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM

I'm glad you found something so close to the Grand Canyon. When you leave for Page, AZ plan on making a lot of stops on Hwy 64 as you exit the park at Desert View. You will get some other great views of the Grand Canyon. I would really skip the N. Rim. Way to much driving and you will see much better views at the S. Rim.

Have a good trip!

Utahtea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -