Las Vegas Airport Question

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas Airport Question

For those of you familiar with the Vegas airport, I need your help. We will be traveling from Chicago on United and meeting daughter who is coming in from Detroit on America West. In looking at the airport map, it appears that we will be arriving at different terminals and I am not sure whether you need to pass through security to get between them. We have been through the airport before, but never meeting up with someone. I am trying to find a place for us to meet up. If all goes well, we are scheduled to arrive within about 5 minutes of each other. I would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:53 AM

I believe both of those airlines fly into terminal 1, so they will use the same baggage claim area. I'd recommend that if you are checking luggage, send your husband to pick up your luggage from your flight and you go find your daughter at her baggage claim area. When you have her bags, meet your husband at the baggage claim for your flight.

If you don't have bags checked, just agree to meet at the baggage claim for your daughter's flight. It'll be easy to find each other probably.

Of, if you have cell phones, just call when you get to baggage claim and figure it out there.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:55 AM

This is probably not what you want to hear but in my experience it would be best for you to meet at your hotel destination.

The hassle and time of moving between terminals...especially if someone is coming into "D" is enormous.

Probably be easier to meet at the fountains of Bellagio at peak time on a weekend.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM

There are only 2 terminals at the airport - 1 & 2. Terminal 1 has A through D gates. I don't understand the idea that it's difficult to meet up with people who come in at different gates. Doesn't everyone have to go through the same central area to reach ground transport anyway?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:27 PM

Seems to me that I once came in at a Seperate terminal, I thought it was "D". It was a different world, no slots, much smaller luggage area, seperate transportation options. No hotel check ins. Now that was several trips and years ago. Since then, I have always come into the "main" terminal. Maybe things are different.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have got to believe there is a way. It just seemed confusing from the airport map, but in reality the airport is not really that unmanagable (compared to our O'Hare). Cell phone suggestion was a good one, but sometimes you can't always get good reception so I didn't want to rely on that solely.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM

I did some research...

Terminal 2 is seperate..not "D". I came in there on ATA and it still hosts those type of airlines as well as smaller carriers. It is looks likely that United and America West will converge in the common luggase area as jlm suggested.

Here is a link to the map at McCarren: http://www.mccarran.com/airportguide.asp