Search

Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 06:44 PM
Nancy

Las Vegas

Two questions for the forum:

I'm looking for some inexpensive yet better than good meals while in Vegas. Any hotel buffets that are 'out of this world?' I'm on an expense account and can't eat at Emeril's every day.

Second question...have one free day in Vegas and will have a car. I'm not into 'touristy' things, but would rather see some 'nature.' Grand Canyon? Is Sedona too far? Winslow?

Thanks for responding!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:21 AM
Ruth

I'm also planning a Vegas trip for September, and came across a fairly comprehensive (including prices) dining guide at www.vegasdining.com. Looking forward to replies to your other questions, too!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 05:10 AM
Debi

I think Sedona is pretty far away - and it's so wonderful - driving there to spend a tiny bit of time would be a shame. Last time we were in Las Vegas, we went to Red Rock Canyon. It's really close - and very beautiful.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:39 AM
Nancy

Thanks for the info on vegasdining.com. I visited it and agree that it gives some good information.

A friend of mine told me about Red Rock Canyon and even found the BLM website for it. That looks like a real possibility as it is close to Vegas and has a scenic drive.

Thanks for the tips....I appreciate it.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:55 AM
Debi

For Red Rock Canyon - I'm not sure if you're an early riser - I'm certainly not, but for this canyon, we got up at 4:30 in the morning (it takes me awhile to wake up...) to get there for sunrise. It's prettiest in the early morning (even though you can't get through the gates yet, the view is awesome) and in the early evening. There is a nature building where they have a bunch of critters and some pretty interesting information on the area. Put all the above in the context that I'm an amateur photographer and getting good light would be important to me. Plus, it gets pretty hot there during mid-day.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 02:39 PM
lynn

Nancy -

I think the best buffet is Bellagio Brunch on the Weekend. About $18.95 per person. Freshly baked pizza and the chilled and peeled shrimp are my favorites. The pizza people will bake whatever you ask them too if they have the ingredients.

Paris Buffet isn't bad. Bread is excellent. Banana's Foster is excellent. Salads, crepes, and potatoes were great. My only complaint was some of the meat dishes had very similar sauces. They weren't bad, just too similar. Seemed that they should have made a few more sauces rather than use the same one 4 times. Cost is about $20 for dinner.

The Mandalay Bay buffet is pretty good too. Not as good as Bellagio but we go here once in a while. I think it's $12-$15 something like that.

If you like lots of seafood, the Village Seafood Buffet at the Rio is pretty good. About $24.95. Lobster, shrimp, crab, etc. Just don't go to the World Buffet at Rio by mistake. It's not very good anymore.

Mon Ami Gabi at the Paris is great. We like to sit in the "greenhouse" and watch the Bellagio fountains while we eat. They have sandwiches, salads, steaks, and an excellent chocolate mousse and creme brulee. The escargot IS "out of this world" and they have th best bread for dipping in the butter/garlic. As for pricing, starters average about $9 - $12, steak and fries about $20 (NY and Filet about $27), all desserts are $8. On average, a meal for 2 could range from $60 to $80 without wine depending on how many courses, etc.

Postrio in the Venetian is good. Great atmosphere under the "sky" in St. Marks Square in the Grand Canal Shoppes. Pizza was good and the wait staff was more friendly than at Caneletto right across from it.

Pinot Brasserie in the Venetian is very good. Not cheap but good. We had an excellent steak there. Only been once.

If that's too expensive, you might try the Grand Lux Cafe also in the Venetian. Just don't sit in back. Service is better near the front.

Overall, the Venetian restaurants that we've tried are all quite good. We prefer some over others but have not had any bad experiences.

If you have any questions, let me know. We go to Vegas alot. Been 5 times this year so far.

Lynn

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 03:41 PM
Calicoskies

For just about any and all info concerning Vegas, the following websites are very comprehensive and most helpful. You can find info on gaming, hotels, dining, attractions, shows, daytrips, etc.

www.vegas.com

www.lvol.com

www.vegaswatch.com

www.lasvegas24hours.com

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 10:23 AM
Marge

Grand Canyon and Sedona is too far to drive. You don't mention what time of the year. Valley of the Fire is great, about 1 hour drive from Las Vegas but go early if you are here in the summer. If you like seafood, at The Orleans buffet on Monday is $13.99 everything but lobster. Plus they have a nice, inexpensive showroom/theatre, maybe someone will be in town you will like.