Laptop/iPod Power

May 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Laptop/iPod Power

We are traveling to Greece through Franfurt via Lufthansa 747-400 on Economy. AC plugs seem to be available only in Business/1st Class (according to seatguru.com).

Any advice on extending the life of electronic devices past 3 hours - besides reading a book (oh, the thought!)...

Thanks!
May 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Regarding your iPod, make sure that your screen stays lit for the least amount of time possible. Also, scrolling through the songs/artists/etc to select your music can drain the battery, as does fast forwarding. So, I would suggest setting up some play lists in advance, and letting it play instead of continually scrolling through.

Watching movies/TV shows on your iPod drains it very, very quickly quickly. Playing games does as well.

Have fun in Greece!
May 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately??) kids enjoy watching TV shows on the iPod!
May 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
SAB

For overseas flights I use an external battery for my iPod from Belkin and if I'm on a long flight with my laptop I take an extra battery pack .
May 30th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Is that external battery cumbersome?

We saw a charger in at Magellans.com that looked small, but required a AA battery. I think it was good for only one charge - seems wasteful + you have to carry around extra batteries. Maybe re-chargeables are best - but then you have to have a recharger for the recharger!
May 30th, 2007, 11:09 AM
SAB

I wouldn't call the Belkin one cumbersome, it attaches to back of my iPod. And since I'm just sitting in a plane it really is no big deal. As for extra batteries, mine has lasted on 10+hour trips between SF and London and back w/o replacing batteries Just use iPod w/o backup until it looses power then use backup. Do not know what you mean by "one charge", the device I use does not charge my iPod, it just allows it to play after it's internal battery has run down. When I reach my destination, I charge my iPod.
May 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I looked at the Belkin as well as another device by
Gomadic...looks pretty small - no big deal.
The device we saw was called an iTurbo
(http://www.magellans.com/store/Audio...iesAR456?Args=). One reviewer complained that it didn't work.
May 31st, 2007, 09:50 AM
SAB

I see, the device is supposed to be a recharger. Never had the need for one--I have always found it easy to recharge iPod with its own recharger once I get to my destination.