Landover, Md--Safe Area?

Old May 26th, 2000, 09:46 PM
Georgeanne

Landover, Md--Safe Area?

Have made reservations at an Extended StayAmerica for Sept--great rates, but am concerned about location. I see a note on the metro they are trying to extend the orange line out that way--Largo Drive West.Any information would be appreciated.

Old May 27th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Keith Berry

I live in the metro D.C. area and I don't think you will be in to much danger. I recommend that you dine in
nearby Montgomery County, if you have transportation, not much to do in that
area, which is basically a commuter suburb of Wash. DC. Low to middle income and some crime but is a pretty
busy area.

Old May 27th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Georgeanne

Keith-thanks for the response. We will be flying into BWI, so no car. Will have to depend on the metro. Will we be using a lot of taxi service? sounds like this place is not very close to the metro at this time.

Old May 27th, 2000, 11:50 AM
Beth

Georgeanne - The location would be safe enough, but convenient to nothing. It is not within walking distance of the nearest metro stop, and unless the hotel supplies a shuttle, you will be using taxis for everything. And, this is basically an off-Beltway location in a business section with no cabs just cruising by for the taking. If your trip is for sightseeing in DC itself, this is not a good place. If you are coming for business purposes, maybe. But, you will need a rental car in any event which may wipe out any savings on the room rate. Staying in DC which would require no car would be a much better option.

Old May 27th, 2000, 11:58 AM
cop

Landover is a crappy area. You'll be safe enough when driving but lock your car doors. Don't walk around. You wouldn't want to anyway. Nothing there but ugly stores, bus stops, liquour stores, and gas stations. Stay out of Landover Mall. Yuck. You'll be very close to the beltway though so that's good. Don't drive anywhere before 9am or after 4pm on weekday or you'll be in a traffic nightmare.

Old May 27th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Cindy

Georgeanne,

I'll just assume this is a vacation and you'll be touring in the District. I live in a different part of the Maryland suburbs, which is accessible on the Red Line. I've only been to Landover a few times in passing, and I really think you should consider staying elsewhere. There's nothing "wrong" with staying there; it is just going to be way more bother than it is worth. Also, I'd be lying if I said I would feel perfectly comfortable as a woman walking around there with a camera, map and other indicators that you are a tourist and might have a lot of cash.

I would suggest that you do another post (or a search) for budget hotels in Bethesda or Virginia suburbs, or best of all stay in the District. Even if the hotel is more, you still might be ahead. That is because the Metro, while wonderful, is not cheap (guessing maybe $2.50 each way from Landover ?), and that adds up if there are a few people in your party. Also, you will save so much time on transport that you might be able to chop a day off of your stay and save some money that way.

Oh, and think hard before you rent a car. I have lived here for 8 years and I still get sweaty palms when I have to figure my way around the District. Parking is hard to find and expensive, and the D.C. police aggressively enforce parking laws. And Cop is so right about the rush-hour traffic. Unfortunately, you will be going with rush hour traffic into the District in the morning and out with it in the afternoon. It is really, really bad heading that direction on the Beltway at those times. Torture, really.

Have way too much fun!

Old May 29th, 2000, 06:45 PM
Georgeanne

Thanks everyone. I am cancelling the reservation in Landover. Thank heavens for this message board--you have probably saved us from a lot of misery.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:33 AM
Beth

Thanks for responding, Georgeann. It always helps to know when our advice has helped someone. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:02 AM
Slabby

I was raised in Prince George's County and lived their until 31 and can by experience and observation tell you that it has higher violent crime than any suburban county in the country. Regularly, 75-100 people are murdered in PG per annum. Landover Mall has to have a large indoor and outdoor security force just to get any customers in the doors of a slowly dying mall. This has been true for over 20 years. Stay out!!!! You and your family will be prey for thugs and hoodlums. Keith Berry is a fool to advise you that Landover is safe.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:06 AM
Take

OK, Slabby. Down boy. No need to call people names to make a point. Besides, didn't you see that Georgeanne already decided to stay elsewhere?

Sheez!