Lancaster County ?

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 05:59 AM
Julie

Lancaster County ?

Does anyone have any recommendations for fun things to do or great restaurants in this area? We are traveling with 3 girls, ages 10 and 12. Thanks!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 07:51 AM
Stephanie P.

Julie:

You have to go to the Red Caboose Motel in Stratsburg, PA (about 5 miles east of Lancaster). There are 14 train cars on a parking lot and people actually stay there overnight. There is a train store right on site that is fun to view all the products they have. There is also a Red Caboose cafe inside a car. There is a petting zoo part next to it. I love the place.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:36 AM
kam

The Central Market in Lancaster is good fun and the town of Hershey is nearby. There's one very well known Amish restaurant-- family name starts with an "S"--brain not functioning this morning. You will also be close to Philadelphia, Gettysburg and Valley Forge.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:41 AM
Merilee

Hi Julie...I recommend that you eat at Miller's Smorgasbord in Ronks, PA...not only do you have an unbelievable amount of different foods to choose from, they are very good...when you're done there's a very large dessert area...when you're done eating visit the adjacent bakery to bring their delicious pies back home including shoofly pie.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 11:24 AM
Dawn

Julie,
We're assuming your talking about Lancaster County, PA. I was there a lot as a child and here's some of the things that I found interesting. Contact the local tourism office. We would go on candle making tours and cheese tours at local farms. It was actually quite fun because it gave us kids something to learn about.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 04:53 PM
Teresa

Julie,
Here's a second vote for Miller's. Yes, it's a smorgasboard (ie buffet) but the food is really really good. We were there 2 1/2 years ago and my husband still talks about their apple pan dowdy. After eating (and loosening our belts) we took a drive through the countryside at sunset. It was a great way to see the 'real' Amish area--even our kids (then 7 and 10)enjoyed it. Of course, you also HAVE to go to Hershey while you're there and see the land of chocolate!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:25 PM
Nancy

Kam, you must be talking about the Stoltzfus Farm restaurant in Intercourse. Great family restaurant. Julie, when are you going? Buggie rides are always fun, train ride in Strasburg. There are many theaters in the area with great shows. Visit www.800padutch.com Get off the main roads in Intercourse and Bird in Hand. You can see the farms and the school houses. It's a great family place to visit. Lots of Xmas activities if you are going toward the end of Nov. We'll be going in early Dec. Have fun!

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 06:06 AM
B J EVANS

Do not miss the shows at Sight and Sound!!! Unbeliveable. Live animals and much better than any thing I've seen in the U.S.
To me this is the best state to visit. Don't miss Intercourse. Even though it gets crowded, you can say you've been there. The shopping is GREAT. Buggy rides, etc. On Sunday's you will see buggies on most of the side roads. The Amish love the children so stop at a few road side stands. Spring Gulch in Gap is the best campground. Always something going on. Have a ball.
BJ

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 09:51 AM
kam

Nancy--you are right. Thanks for remembering for me.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:46 AM
Laurie B

Andersen Pretzel Factory

Hershey Park

Hershey Gardens

Plain & Fancy Restaurant (where they also have buggy rides, Amish house tour & a very interesting theater in the back -- more than just a movie)

Indian Echo Caverns

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:03 AM
Joe

Julie: Our three girls were about that age when we traveled through Amish Country at Lancaster, Pa. They loved it. As we drove into the area on a Sunday afternoon, famalies in horse drawn buggies were everywhere. They were on the way to meetings with fellow friends (they hold their services in members homes). We ate at a restaurant called Good and Plenty, family style (large platters passed from person to person). The food was great. I remember pickled cabbage, a stewed chicken dish, great mashed potatoes, cracker pudding, and, of course, great pies. Driving the countryside to see the neat farms and huge, white farm houses was awesome. We toured an Amish Farm to watch them work and went into the house to learn how they live, cook and eat together. Our kids talk about it even today.

Other kid-friendly activities in the area:
Valley Forge (about 40 miles): An amazing experience for all of us.
Hershey, Pa.; A town and factory built around Hershey Candy; Hershey Kiss lampposts, riding on the moving cars as you tour Chocolate World, the Hershey Gardens.
The Conrad Weiser Historic Park (about 43 miles) where you can tour the authentically furnished 1729 building.
The Daniel Boone Homestead (again, about 40 miles) at Yellow House. See the foundation of the original cabin (where Boone was born), the 18th Century farmhouse (partially built by Boone's Father and furnished in the style of the 18th Century), other 18th Century buildings on the grounds and the Boone Museum.
As you drive from place to place, you are consistantly in beautiful, wooded and well watered areas.
Don't know when you are going (hiking might be difficult midwinter), but have a great time.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:05 AM
laurie

Also, the wax museum next door to Dutch Wonderland.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:40 AM
me

Hi!
I live in Lancaster County(moved here 2 yrs ago from Maine)...all the above ideas are great ones, remember that hours this time of year are shorter for the touristy things , and some just aren't available, like some buggy rides.
The Xmas show is up at the millenium theater now, and Hershey has special hours and is decorated for the holidays.
Good n Plenty closes at certain times now, call ahead to see when they are open, its a great place to eat! Dutch Wonderland is in the process of(possibly) being bought by Herchey, althought right now the park is closed for the season there are a few things open near it. Shopping is awesome..go to Rockvale Square and Tangier Outlets on Rt30 (across from Dutch Wonderland)..ride the Strasburg Railroad and go to King of Prussia Mall, about 45 minutes east of here, largest mall on the east coast.
Have a greast time!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Mike

I second all the above recommendations. In addition, you may want to pay a visit to the Hans Herr House. It's the oldest standing home in Lancaster County--built in something like 1685, I think by the first Mennonite (or Amish?) family to emigrate from Germany. It's like the Daniel Boone Homestead in that it's a farmhouse restored to its original state and original furnishings. Great opportunity for the kids to see how early settlers really lived.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:22 AM
yuks

When I see one these posts about Lancaster, all I can think of is a similar post a few months ago in which the person asked: "Would my daughter enjoy Intercourse?"