Search

Lancaster

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancaster

Hello, I am planning my family visit to Lancaster. I have read two threads on Lancaster here and they are very informative and helpful. But I haven't found anything about this farm in Strasburg that the movie "Witness" was shot. I read somewhere that you can visit the farm on a tour. Is it doable that we just drive up and visit it ourselves with a map? Are there a lot of back roads involved? I love that movie, particularly the scene when Harrison Form and Kelly McGillis danced in the barn. So I am hoping to take a peek at the farm while I am there.
Any information is welcome!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM

There are a few farms that are tourist attractions. They are not "actual" Amish farms in which you can tour. The Amish are very private people. Do not tresspass on any private land or take their photos. You can however drive the roads on the beautiful countryside. Some of the amish farms sell homemade goods like root beer, pies or produce....just follow the hand made signs. It all looks like the movie.

The farm in the movie is the Paul Krantz Farm, on 758 Bunker hill Road in Strasburg. They are not Amish but it is private property.
There used to be a Witness experience movie tour, not sure if it is anymore but the phone number is 1-800-padutch or visit www.padutchcountry.com
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Annabel, for the information. I guess we probably have to find a tour if I want to see the site.

Do you know what the temperature is usually going to be around Christmas over there? Will it be too cold for my kids to be outdoor so much? We live further down south. Should I reconsider and think another time of year to visit there?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM

It will be cold for sure and dark very early 4:30. Once it's dark and once off the main road it's very dark, so there's really nothing much to do after that except go back to your room and go for dinner. I live on Long Island, NY and the weather patterns/temps are similar. We visit PA often as it is a 3-4 hr drive. You can visit www.weatherunderground.com for accurate weather--click on trip plannner and it will give you averages for your selected dates. As far as things to do in December - there is great shopping in Lancaster - tons of outlets stores. Our favorite place to stay is the Country Inn and Suites on Lincoln Hwy. A fun place to visit is the Kitchen Kettle Village. The Kling House is great for breakfast - ask for a seat in the covered porch and watch the Amish buggies go by. I'm sure they have the Kitchen Kettle Village decorated for the holidays. Lancaster becomes very popular this time of year because of the shopping. Lots of people go here and get all their holiday shopping done in one weekend. The best time to visit (IMHO) is the autumn. Theres also Thomas the Tank at the Strasburg Rail road. I don't know the seasonal timing of these things, but the pa dutch guide should help you. You can also google Kitchen Kettle Village for more info.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 05:27 AM

As a resident of Lancaster, I would suggest that a X-Mas visit may be fine.Lancaster is rarely empty these days but the pace definitely slows. Worst case is that you may have to wear some sort of waterproof shoes for a little slush. Besides the PA Dutch Visitor center, look for the Weekend section of the Lancaster newspaper for current events. It's an easy area to cover and try to focus on the area between Rte. 340 and Rte. 23.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM

If you have the option to schedule your visit for spring or fall, I'd suggest doing that--- skipping June-Aug because there's a tidal wave of visitors and way too much traffic. But if your kids are school age, you may have no choice. I think that May and October are beautiful there, ideal outdoors weather and the landscape is still lush. In the wintertime it's pretty dreary looking, and definitely not at its best.

By the way, I think that the "Witness" tour run by the PA Dutch Visitors Bureau was running only for the anniversary year of the movie (10th? 15th?) but that it's no longer available. I know how tempting it is, but when you go, please don't drive onto private property there or be obvious about taking photos. It is very offensive to the Amish and too many visitors behave like insensitve clods.

Driving the back roads is a delight and you'll see plenty of beautiful farms, kids playing and skating to school, Amish in buggies or on bicycles, farm animals galore (even some buffalo-- that's always fun!). And if you arrange to stay at a farm/B&B, you'll have an unforgettable time.

ENJOY!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Annabel,cheapbutnice2 and ckwald for your inputs!! I really appreciate it! I think I will reconsider it and plan a spring break trip when everything is nice and pretty and combine it with the longwood garden.

Now let me think of somewhere warmer in the south during Christmas. We live in VA and maybe somewhere in SC? I love hitorical and cultural places where there are stories.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM

If X-Mas is not already planned, the kids may enjoy the time in Hilton Head.I know that it's a decent drive from VA, but mine always enjoyed the beach and dolphins (when it was much colder back home) plus walking thru nearby Savannah was much more enjoyable than my standby (Colonial Williamsburg).