Search

Lanai kayaking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lanai kayaking

We were initially planing to take a kayak trip on Maui to the "auqarium" and "fishbowl" snorkeling spots in the Ahihi-Kinau Reserve area. But since that area has been closed to commercial operators - and I don't want to try to hike to those spots and possible inadvertently further damage the area - we decided to take a boat trip to Lanai instead.

Triology offers a very expensive trip that includes kayking along the Lanai coast. Anyone ever kayaked there - or know anyone who kayked there - and could tell me what it's like? My husband really likes the idea of kayaking, but I don't want to do all that work unless there's some spectacular snorkeling.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:52 AM

Don't know about Lanai/kayaking but as far as spectacular kayak accessible snorkeling would recommend the waters near Capt. Cook Monument area on the Big Island.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JohnD - I haven't even been to Maui yet and am already thinking about future trips to visit other islands. Just one more reason to try the Big Island next time ...
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:20 PM

The Big Island has alot to offer in terms of snorkeling options and also very clear water, on our last trip however the snorkel/tour boat operators indicated talk about concern for the environmental impact of kayakers going ashore at Capt. Cook monument.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:32 PM

I walked to Ahihi just north of fishbowl in April. The hike was not very far and there was a small stoney beach to enter. Actually, this is where the kayakers entered as well. My children 7 and 8 had a fine time. You have to respect the area. Stay on trails. Leave no trash, etc, etc. As for Lanai, I lived there and found the state marine preserve to also be a fine spot to snorkel. The coast would be nice to look at in a kayak. I don't where thay take you. If just to the marine area, then I would by a roundtrip ticket on the expedition ferry and walk a short distance from the harbor the the beach.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:58 PM

When is your trip? When will you kayak (time of day) and where at? If you know that information I might be of better help.

FWIW: The channel between Maui and Lanai basically empties right onto the windward coast of Lanai. The wind rips through that area and can get very, very chopy. Shipwreck beach is amazing and my husband and I spent 8 hours on that beach and didn't see one set of foot prints. There was a ton of crap on the beach that had blown in and it was fun to poke around. No swimming there - all shallow corral with lots of chop.

I did notice some kayak trips to the shipwreck but only on calm days. And there were trips on the other side of the island. We snorkeled on that side and it WAS some of the most beautiful we've seen here.

Denise
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

hulagirl -
We'll be there the third week in September. Trilogy leaves at 6 a.m. from Maui - not sure how long it takes to get to Lanai, but I would guess we would be there late morning. Where we kayak along the coastline, according to Trilogy, depends on the weather.
thanks