Search

Lake Tahoe question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Tahoe question

Hello --- we have an opportunity to stay at the Embassy Vacation Resort Lake Tahoe but the timeshare week must be used by 4-30-07. Could you give me an idea of what the weather will be like the first week of May? We are not skiers, but like other outdoor activites. I have never been to that part of the country and am wondering what clothes we would need to pack. Also, how long of a drive is Yosemite from Lake Tahoe? Is that possible for a day trip or would you recommend spending the night? Any suggestions of other areas to visit would be appreciated....no kids, just the two of us....thanks a lot ....Lori
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM

The ski resorts should be closed by then anyway. In HUGE snow years, there have been a couple of the resorts that stay open through May actually. The weather is starting to warm up. You can get a snow storm that time of year, but they aren't usually very powerful or cold.

I would take clothes to layer, a rain jacket of somekind. Weather will probably be variable during the day and for sure you will need a jacket at night.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Tahoe to Yosemite would not ba a day trip; you should stay overnight (book reservations ASAP!) We have done that drive one-way, in mid-april, but I couldn't remember how long it took, so I consulted Mapquest. They say it is 200 miles and 4 1/2 hours from South Lake Tahoe, via Hwy. 88, 49, and 120 into Yosemite Valley.

But it's well worth the trip. Yosemite Valley is 2000 feet lower than Tahoe; it is generally bery pleasant in May.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information....I thought it would take longer in May since some roads would not be open yet. Would we be OK with a regular rental car or should be get an SUV or 4WD?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Of course I meant "very" pleasant, not "bery"!

You shouldn't need 4WD that time of year; we did the Yosemite-Tahoe drive in a regular Ford van. However, if you are renting at Reno, it seems from my experience that the standard compact (Or maybe it is mid-size) car is a Suburu Outback, and it wouldn't hurt to get one of those. For 2 of you it would have plenty of room. No need for a big SUV.

When you say your week must be used by April 30, is that the last check-in date? So you would be there the week beginning that day?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Here's the website for reservations inside Yosemite:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/

I checked for May 1, 2, and 3 and the only thing available in Yosemite Valley was at Curry Village and Housekeeping Camp, which are both mostly tent cabins. Curry did have a regular cabin with bath avilable on one of those nights. But there was nothing at all at Yosemite Lodge or the Ahwahnee. They did have rooms at Tenaya Lodge, which is a nice property, but it is outside the Park at the south entrance. You will be coming in from the north entrance, so Teneya is not only not in the valley proper, but out of your way. It might be the best choice, but you should consider the extra driving when you choose.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I thought it would take longer in May since some roads would not be open yet."

Yes, Tioga Pass will still be closed - the route enzian gave you IS the long route down into the foothills and skipping the direct route over Tioga.

I would definitely NOT try to do Yosemite as a day trip. But where are you flying into? If SMF or OAK or SFO, you could easily go to Yosemite for a day or two before taking enzian's route in reverse up to Tahoe.

Even better would be an open jaw flying into Northern California and out of Reno. That way you could see Yosemite but not have to go back down into the valley to fly home.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was posting at the same time as enzian's last post. Plug in a few days before your week at Tahoe and see what might be available in Yosemite Valley.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Excellent idea, janisj---Yosemite should be nice that prvious week too, and hopefully the accomodation situation is better. Or they can call and ask for a cancellation. Or maybe they don't mind staying in a tent cabin?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas...We were going to fly into Reno on 4-28...that is the first day of the timeshare. I'll look into flying into northern CA, renting the car there and heading into Lake Tahoe after Yosemite. Since I have never been there, I would hate to be so close and miss it. I want to see some waterfalls!!! Lori
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Some of the things we like to do in Tahoe include taking the gondola up at Heavenly and enjoying the amazing view. You can ski or just hike from there when the season is over. Squaw Valley also has a cable car and a small olympic museum, ice skating ring and pool on top. Squaw Valley and Northstar both have nice ski villages with places to shop and eat. Our favorite "nice" restaurant in Tahoe is Soule Domaine (gourmet food, but casual attire, you can wear jeans and a nice shirt). Ask for a table in the origional cabin by the fireplace. The Kings Beach area in Tahoe City is also pretty. There is rafting on the Truckee River. Don't miss the Emerald Bay lookout on your drive around the lake. Finally, we did the drive from Yosemite to Tahoe one year at the end of May. Everyone is right, you need to spend the night. It is a good four hours and you must take route 49 at that time of year. Be sure to take the Floor Tour and drive up to Glacier Point.