Search

Lake Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Tahoe

We will be driving from Yosemite Valley to Lake Tahoe at the end of June. We enjoy biking and hiking during the day and a good restaurant/bar at night to relax. From the sounds of previous posts we should stay on the west or north end of the lake? There are 2 couples and we are looking for some kind of lodge/cabin that is convenient for this type of vacation. Any suggestions would be great. Also, how long would it take to drive this route from Yosemite Valley (with Tioga Pass open).
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM

It's about 240 miles nice driving.4 hours should do it.Paul
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM

krowe, will you be at Tahoe for a week? There are tons of wonderful homes, cabins, and condos on VRBO.com at rates that are really amazingly low. King's Beach and Tahoe City have a lot. Take a look there.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Thje distance is not 240 miles, but 160 miles, which will take about 4 hours according to ViaMichelin.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:49 AM

We just did the same drive at the end of September. It took us about 6 hrs, but we stopped several times. Traffic was very light when we were travelling. I would expect it to be much heavier at the end of June. We stayed in Tahoe City at Sunnyside Lodge. We loved it there. There are bike trails that leave right from the Lodge & will carry you all the way to Tahoe City and then beside the Truckee River for miles. We had one meal in the bar at Sunnyside and it was just fine. There is also a nice restaurant there which we weren't in the mood to try. Probably our favorite meal was in Squaw Valley (only about 5 miles away)where we ate lunch at an Irish Pub. Food & beer was excellent and reasonably priced - wish we had come upon it earlier in the week.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I didn't want to get in on that distance and time discussion, but I was trying to imagine 240 miles in 4 hours. That's averaging 60 miles an hour on the Tioga Pass Road -- frankly I can't imagine that!

PS. Probably not a problem, but a few times Tioga Pass Road has not opened till the end of June and even July 1st one year, I believe.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Camp Riochardson is an old-style cabin resort (and a few motel rooms) right on the beach at Lake Tahoe, also right on a bike path and a bit away from the South Lake Tahoe hubbub. It is also quite close to Desolation Valley Wilderness trailheads---some of the best hiking in the Tahoe area.

There are number of other resorts along the west shore as well, including the VRBO cabins mentioned by NeoPatrick, if you are staying a full week.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM

As a matter of fact, I went to VRBO and was doing some browsing. Other that ski season and July/August many will rent by the day it seems. So you may not even need to stay a full week if that's not your schedule. I see great 3 bedroom, 2 bath condos or houses with lake view for as little as $200 a night -- that's $100 per couple. Fantastic price compared to any motel or hotel.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 01:48 AM

We did this trip the scenic way in Sept 2000 and drove 240 miles via Tioga pass.Computer road software has a tendency to take the shortest route which does not mean the most scenic or interesting one.Paul
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 06:44 AM

We always love to eat at Plumpjack in Squaw Valley.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:49 AM

tovarich,

Even when asking ViaMichelin for the scenic route it turns out to be only 192 miles. And it take more than 4 hours.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM

What are you all putting in for the destination. I mean there is South Lake Tahoe and then there is Northwest Lake Tahoe. Depending on the final destination, that could easily vary by more than 45 miles or so. But I wouldn't want to try to do any of those "scenic" Tioga routes in 4 hours!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I believe the most scenic route from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, at least the south or west shore, would be via Tioga Pass and then Monitor Pass (via Markleeville). I don't know the mileage or exactly hosw long it takes, but I have departed Tuolumne Meadows after breakfast and packing up my camp, and arrived at Tahoe in time for a nice lakeside lunch on the deck at Camp Richardson.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Ag3046

I think it's going to be closer to 240 miles than 160 miles, if you are starting at the valley floor in Yosemite. It takes at least an hour to get to Tioga Pass in the summer, and Tuolumne Meadows is so gorgeous, it is worth several hours to hike or enjoy the beauty. If you are hikers, you really need to think about one of the shorter hikes in the TM area. It is certainly not a drive-through. I'd allow an entire day to drive from valley floor to Tahoe. Allow time to visit Mono Lake- the visitor center is very impressive. Bodie State Park is an old ghost town that is really interesting. The entire drive is very beautiful. If you have time, the Whoa Nellie Deli at the bottom of Tioga Pass (it's in the Mobil Gas Station) is really worth it for lunch or dinner. Rack of lamb, anyone? Monitor Pass is a very steep, starkly scenic drive and the drive to Tahoe from there is also impressive.

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:18 AM
MaureenB

I can recommend the Squaw Valley Lodge, which sits at the base of Squaw Valley ski area, with the little resort village adjacent to it. We were there last July, and really liked it. There's free underground parking, an outdoor pool, and a hotel-type desk available 24/7. You can walk from the Lodge into the little village for shops, dining, etc.

The units are individually owned, so some may be newer than others. Ours was a deluxe studio, with kitchen, one bath, a queen bed and a queen sofabed. The bathroom was very nice.

We were given a very good price by Sue, at Squaw Valley Central Reservations, 1 800 545 4350. They handle more properties than this particular Lodge, too. Sue was very helpful, and knowledgeable.
>-

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:38 AM

The reason I use ViaMichelin (one could use MapQuest) to determine distance is to eliminate the guesswork on the mileage. The map also indicates that it would be very difficult to change the 190+ miles from the valley floor to Tahoe City into 240 miles. There simply are not that many roads on that itinerary.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:39 AM
dmlove

If you do decide to stay at Squaw Valley, though, please understand that "the little resort village" is not an organically-grown town (like Truckee or Durango), its a resort that was built from the ground up just a few years ago -- everything in it is new. Doesn't make it bad, just new LOL!