Search

Lake Powell trips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Powell trips

I will be visiting Page in mid July and am trying to figure out which boat trip to take. I understand there is a 1/2 day boat trip to Rainbow Bridge which requires a 3/4 mile walk to the bridge. But I have also heard about a river float trip, which I think leaves from Lee's Ferry??? Can anyone shed some light on the difference: costs etc., etc. - or give me websites or phone numbers. Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:52 AM

I have the same kind of question!

I read that the full day trip lasts 7 hrs, while the half-day trip lasts 6 1/2 hrs!!!

I must say that I'm a bit lost!

Also, I couldn't really figure out if there is one company offering that tour or more than one!
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 07:19 AM

We did this boat trip a few years ago and it was fun. I can't remember the name of the company but we got the tickets from the hotel that faces Lake Powell. It does dock at Rainbow Bridge and the walk is not that bad. It's a great way to see Lake Powell.I am sure Lake Powell has a website.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

I just spoke to the people at the B&B where we're staying. She said that the half day boat trip to Rainbow Bridge is really now a 7 hr trip due to the low level of the water. Trips leave at 8am, 10am and 12pm. She didn't think they were even running the full day trip now. The walk to Rainbow Bridge is about a mile each way. Wahweap Boat Tours (928) 645-2741 runs the trips. The cost is $81/person (adult)

The float trips start at the dam and float 17 miles with a bus ride. The cost is $59/person and it's about 5 hrs door to door. One leaves at 7:30 am. Don't know if there's a 2nd one since I'm opting for the Rainbow Bridge trip.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 08:04 AM

There's also a 2 hour boat trip from Wahweap Lodge that cruises into Antelope canyon. It's quite spectacular if you want a shorter cruise. I believe the Lees Ferry float rides are a whole different experience, more of a raft trip down the Colorado. Also realize that Page is not directly on the lake, but about 15 minutes away. Wahweap Lodge is the only hotel on the lake.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:02 AM

The difference between the all day and half day Rainbow Bridge National Monument tour is the all day you get a bag lunch and they take you down other side canyons on Lake Powell.

I believe the time difference isn't as much as it use to be between the two trips because the lake is so low this year and people have to take the 3/4 mile hike. The last time we were there we could see Rainbow Bridge from the tour boat. We only had a short walk. I hear that they can't get as close now and the walking takes time.

The Rainbow Bridge tour is ON Lake Powell and it's a beautiful trip.

The Lee's Ferry float trip is below the dam and takes you on the Colorado River thought some of the narrow canyon and then they drive you back to Page, AZ. I haven't done this trip yet, but we are doing it this year.

Hope this helps.

Utahtea
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:29 PM

Thanks Travlbug!

Utahtea, great info as allways!

We'll be there in October, and I was wondering whether the water might be lower still!?!

I've spent some time yesterday tring to figure out if we should do the Rainbow bridge lake tour, or the Antelope Canyon hiking tour? The lake tour seems like a good way to enjoy the scenery while relaxing from having hiked Zion and Bryce the two previous days, and before hiking GC the next day! However, the colors from Antelope Canyon seem truly amazing and a must see!?
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:39 AM

If you opt for the Rainbow Bridge tour, I'd recommending getting a bag lunch from Wahweap Lodge. (You can order it the night before.) When we did the half-day tour in 2001, the boat sold just beverages and snacks.

And don't forget extra sun screen because you'll be on the water.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:17 AM

To Barthox,

More than likely the lake will be low for a couple of years. It took years of droughts in Colorado for it to get this bad and they are saying the run of this year won't be that great. The lake was suppose to peak by early summer and go down from there. I'll be there in August and let you know what it's like.

The color you see from the Rainbow Bridge Boat tour are fantastic too with the sun and BLUE waters. BTW, if you do the all day boat tour the lunch & drink are included.

I've never done the Antelope tour but from what I've read and heard it's not a lot of hiking. We are going to do this in August too.

Utahtea
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Is Lake Powell still worth a visit despite the low water level this year? I would like more info on the boat trip trhough Antelope Canyon. Do you disembark from the boat and walk during the trip? How long does the trip last? Also, does anyone have an estimate for drive time from the GC South Rim to Kayenta, then on to Moab? Thanks. JudyN
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:41 AM

Hi JudyN,

We just got back from a trip to Lake Powell. YES, it's still as beautiful as ever!

I know that the Antelope Canyon tour is confusing. There is a boat tour and a land tour.

From the boat tour you DO NOT get off the boat to see the slot canyons. On the Antelope Canyon boat tour you travel around Antelope Island to some narrow & beautiful sandstone walls with beautiful tapestries.

To see the Antelope Canyon slot canyons you travel by land about 5 minutes from Page, AZ to the Navajo Reservation. If you take a tour from Page they drive you in their vehicle to the cave entrance. If you drive your vehicle to the Navajo Reservation then the Navajo's drive you to the entrance to the cave. The drive is 3 miles on a sandy 4 wheel drive road.

The drive from the S. Rim Visitor Center to Kayenta is 155 miles and will take about 3 hours if you don't make any of the scenic stops along the way as you exit the Grand Canyon from the visitor center to Desert View. I suggest making time for a couple of the stops.

From Kayenta to Moab, Utah it's 170 miles and will take about 3 1/2 hours. Again you will be passing Monument Valley and that's worth some time too!

Utahtea