Lake Powell Houseboat

Search

Lake Powell Houseboat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Powell Houseboat

Just started researching options for a special event July 2008, celebrating the big 5-0 for 3-4 (very young-minded!) women and their mates, plus 2 teenage boys.

Group is leaning toward a Bermuda cruise which sounds ok but (as the real traveler) is certainly not the 'once in a lifetime' experience I'd envisioned for the big event.

After seeing photos of Lake Powell a few years ago, I'm literally chomping at the bit to go there, and houseboat sounds sooo cool!

Did a little research on houseboat options - and checked Fodor website - but little personal feedback available (on Fodors, most relevant for me was from 1999!)

I'd greatly appreciate current feedback on houseboat options: best boats; features that are most/least important; added ideas for a group (though well-acquainted) that has never traveled together before!

Many thanks for your ideas!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM

I'd like to know too. I think tho, if you put this in the search box, you may find somehting here. I think it's been discussed.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Try these links:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34857974

http://lakepowell.com/
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
lvk

We just did this last month, and loved it. I am so bad at trip reports, but I'll will update a thread I started, because now you're making me feel guilty.

It is very cool, but waaaaay removed from the tropical Cruise experience. You are not waited on, you have to prepare your own meals, clean your own kitchen, make your own bed, etc. etc. It all depends on what type of travelers you are. Some would think it is great (We all did!) Some would be resentful of having to do so much work on their vacation. We went with 2 other families that we had camped with and rented ski houses with in the past, so we knew we were compatible to travel together this way.

So, I guess that's my first tip. Find out if this is really what you ALL want to do. It is very costly, especially considering gas prices right now. You don't want somebody sitting there pouting that they are putting out all this money, but still have to do all this work.

I will be happy to answer in detail any more specific questions that you may have. I'll also try to dig up other threads for you. The search function here is pretty terrible.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 08:21 PM
lvk

Here's a thread I started and will be updating soon: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34904277
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:52 AM

If you do this, the houseboat rentals out of Anteloupe Point Marina are the nicest and newest. We saw them when we were there last month and WOW!! they are spectacular.

http://lakepowellhouseboating.com
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the details! I completely understand that houseboating involves work, but I wouldn't mind one bit - I just need to convince everyone else that rewards far outweigh the effort. (A few photos of Lake Powell could probably sell it for me!!) I think the main issue will be cost once we factor in all the details (fuel, add'l watercraft, etc.)

Would enjoy knowing which specific houseboats you've tried and also a general idea of what fuel costs might be like? We would most likely follow suggestions on threads - using ski boat as a runabout, moving houseboat only a few times.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM
lvk

Hi Luvs2travel,

I've been completely swamped, so unable to compose my list of tips, but I was able to dig up my spreadsheet. We rented a 46', very basic houseboat, 6 adults, 3 teens. Five days, 4 nights from Wahweap Marina. The cost, including preboarding, taxes, fees, etc. was $3300. The cost for fuel for the houseboat, 2 jetskis,one Boston Whaler, was $1200 for the week. Gas on the lake was about $4.30/gallon, while it was under $3 in Page. We drove, so brought a good amount of groceries from home and shopped in Page for the rest. I couldn't give you a good estimate of food costs.

There are much more luxurious houseboats for rent, with plasma tv's granite countertops, jacuzzis on the top deck, etc. Antelope Point rents only the high-end models. Wahweap rents all sizes. The more affordable and mid-range ones (to 54') sell out first. We booked ours in Nov. 2006 for Aug of 2007, and only had a choice of a few weeks and sizes.

I'll try to post more when I have more time!

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM
lvk

I forgot to mention, we had our own jet skis, so that saved us $300 per day per jet ski rental costs. If you had to choose between renting a jet ski or renting a boat, I would choose the boat (you can fit more people for your excursions around the lake). I believe they start at almost $400/day.

I'll be popping in and out and be happy to answer any other specific questions you have.

Oh, and we thought it was a "once in a lifetime" event, too. Now we're plotting a way to do it again.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

LVK, thanks for details on costs - very helpful in the early assessment process! I read your thread (again, great info - but do post a full report when you have time!) I also connected to prior poster Scraphappy's trip report - which ended too soon (just when she got to the part I was most interested in )

I'm foregoing this idea w/friends (they want the pampering of a cruise ship - never knew they were so high maintenance ;-) But after showing my SO pics and feedback on Lake Powell, he's totally on board (I knew he was 'sold' when he did a Google Earth search last night to zoom in on the lake with houseboats!) We're now thinking of taking his kids: daughter and son-in-law, son and girlfriend - all late 20's; daughter age 25 and son age 18. They're a great group that would absolutely LOVE a trip like this!

We'll have about 1 week to spend and so far, it sounds like staying in Springdale (with full-day trip each to Zion and Bryce) would be a good start, with Lake Powell houseboating for 5 days/4 nights. Does this sound reasonable to those who've done the trip? If we HAVE to cut one day out (due to time constraints), where should we make the elimination? Hate to miss anything - but oh well, perhaps another time..?

Re: Lake Powell, would love ideas on where to go/what to see - also places to dock boat. With cost of fuel, we'd want to limit houseboat to just 1-2 stops, relying on towed boat to explore more. Best places to dock?

One added thought: my SO's ex may want to vacation with kids next summer, which would negate a group trip. What options are there (sans houseboat) for a couple to explore Lake Powell?

Once again, any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!