Reload this Page >

Lake Powell boat ride

Search

Lake Powell boat ride

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:42 PM
joanne

Lake Powell boat ride

We'll be in Lake Powell for 2 days in Aug.(sedona, G.C., Page, Bryce, Zion, LV), staying at Wawheap Lodge. I don't know if we should take the guided boat tour at the Lodge or rent our own.It's my husband and 16yr.old and 13yr. old. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:49 PM
jan

ttt

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:31 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Brian

Hello,

I lived in Utah for four years and it is absolutely paradise. I went to Lake Powell several times between the ages of 15 and 18 and I can say from experience that renting a ski boat would be awesome and a waverunner would be fun also. You might have to book in advance but I would advise against doing just a guided tour. Cliffjumping is popular and waterskiing is also amazing in the canyons also. WEAR SUNSCREEN, you will fry. Good luck

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Sara

When we were at Lake Powell three years ago with our three teenage sons, we rented a boat for the day, and had a great time. We went to Rainbow Bridge, and we rented a tube to pull the boys behind the boat on, which was fun. We did have a bit of a hard time finding a spot to pull ashore for our picnic lunch and swim, as there are so many steep, rocky sides to the lake, but we did finally mange to locate one. We also enjoyed poking into some of the side canyons. If you do rent a boat, make sure you budget enough time to get gas - you'll need to fill up at a mid-lake marina to ensure that you have enough to get back, and we had to wait in line for a little while. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy being out on the lake, it's beautiful. We were amazed at the emerald green color of the water, it almost looked as if it were dyed!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Utahtea

If you are familar with boating I would say rent a boat, but if you don't know the first thing about boating like my DH and myself then the guide all day boat trip is the way to go.

Utahtea

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:25 AM
sn

http://www.visitlakepowell.com/

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:02 AM
barbara

we rented a boat for a day, with no prior experience, and had a very safe and very great time. the water is calm, little can go wrong (we did get beached on one of the little inlets and had a tough time getting out but that also was fine). just be cautious and you'll do fine. we also took a trip to rainbow bridge -- nice but way too long -- much more fun on our own.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Barbara

What is DH?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Sage

Rent the boat and bring your fishing gear.Great swimming and sight seeing. They rent open runabouts and bimini covered 19 footers with 115 Merc outboards.Just don't knick thr prop and cruise slowley otherwise you will part with a lot of greenbacks.The only requirement to operate the boat is a credit card and driver's license.The chart for the lake is easy to understand.Bouys are numbered to the location on the lake so if you feel you are lost find a bouy and its number ,locate on map and there is where you are.SPF 40

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:25 AM
arthur

I just returned from a trip to Az including 1 1/2 days at Lake Powell. Due to lack of time and boating skills, I chose to do the 1/2 day boat trip to Rainbow Bridge. It was good, but it is a long trip and a not always comfortable seat. It seemed to me that Rainbow Bridge might be difficult to find if you didn't have knowledge of the area, but I was really jealous of the folks in their own boats relaxing on the deck in privacy. I'm sure it would have been much more enjoyable to have experienced the Bridge without the tour boat crowd, to have enjoyed a nice picnic lunch (no food on the tour boat), and to have been able to jump off the boat in the beautifully clean water when I felt overheated. If I did it over again, I would have rented my own boat.