Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York Casual Dress Restaurants with good food

Jun 26th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Jay

We will be in NYC July 4-8 and would like suggestions on good restaurants that don't have a strict dress code (or don't make you feel unconfortable if you aren't dressed up.) We like good food, everything from family-owned local joints to gourmet, however we don't like getting dressed up. We'll be staying at the Roger Williams hotel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, any ideas on good July 4 festivities would be helpful.

Jun 26th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Yumn

Ninth Street Market. Charming little place in the East Village (Ninth Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue). Get a reservation as it's small and very popular in the neighborhood.

Casamir (sp?) is another great place, French bistro, in Alphabet city. Dress at both could be jeans or smart casual. Enjoy

Jun 26th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Merilee

Jay, I usually take visiting friends and relatives to South Street Seaport on the 4th of July because the location is great for viewing the fireworks...it's also a good place because there's a fast food court, restaurants, and bathrooms...there are also many specialty shops, and it's air conditioned for those who can't tolerate the heat and humidity...I prefer it to standing on the FDR Drive, which to me, is too close for comfort because of the crowd...there's a concert that starts at 6PM at South Street Seaport that's part of the Sam Goody Home Before Midnight Concert Series...from noon until 2 98.7FM radio will broadcast from there...(to me) it's not to far to walk to Battery Park...I heard there's going to be a concert there during the day...the city has many pizzerias that are casual, fun, and serve great pizza...I like Grimaldi's, which would give you the opportunity to take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge...after that you can walk to the Ice Cream factory for dessert.

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Jay

Thanks for the info. A slight change in plans -- we'll be staying at the Dylan Hotel on E. 41st.

Any good restaurant choices would be appreciated. We like really good food - gourment but don't like getting dressd up!

Thanks!

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Frank

Check out the new Britney Spears' restaurant which recently opened in the Dylan Hotel. It's called NYLA (short for New York, Louisiana) and a description follows:

Coming in June, dylan will be host to a new 200-seat American Brasserie called Nyla. Serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the dining room, Nyla will also deliver an excellent array of menu items directly to your door for complete room service and corporate catering. After 11pm each evening, Nyla welcomes Manhattans trendiest
nighttime revelers as the bar and dining room transform into a chic upscale lounge with music and entertainment throughout the evening.

Other possibilites in the neighborhood, Salute on Madison and 39th Street, casual Italian. Pershing Square, on 42nd and Park, good American and Seafood. The are half dozen sit down restaurants in the Grand Central / Met Life Building complex only a block from your hotel. One of my favorite Italian restaurants, Rossini's is on 38th and Park Ave. If you can make it over for the Saturday night Opera dinner, it's an experience. Great food, high prices, and lots of fun. Reservations are generally required and it's dressy casual.

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:22 AM
JKNYer

ONe of my favorites is the Oyster Bar in Grand Central concourse ,has casual dining and great Seafood, I don't think you'll be uncomfortable there.

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Nikki

I loved the tavern room at Gramercy Tavern. I believe the main dining room is more formal, but the tavern, which does not take reservations, is informal and has wonderful food. We arrived late on a Sunday afternoon, between the lunch and dinner crowds, and did not have to wait.

Jun 27th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Me

Most restaurants are casual except for the very high-end ones. The general neighborhood the YUMN refers to (East Village) is loaded with many interesting small, reasonable, 'local' restaurants. It's a great area to walk around and explore.