Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lake Placid Winter Activities and Great Restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Leah

Hi Fodorites!!

My husband and I and our best friends have booked ourselves at a condo in Lake Placid in February.

We would like to go snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, ice-skating, and just see some great scenery too!

Can you recommend where the best areas are to do some of these things, and how we should go about doing them? (This is my first time there!! I have not found great info. via the web).

Also, we would like to eat out a couple of nights - I have heard the restaurant at Mirror Lake Inn is great and Nicola's - do you agree, and are there any other places you can recommend? Thanks so much -we really appreciate your help!!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Gina

Assuming there is a plenty of snow in February you will be able to go snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, ice-skating and more. There are always ski jumping and racing competitions to watch. How about downhill skiing? I think in February the Whiteface Mtn. should have freestyle competition. The dates for this one are different every year so you need to check. It is a fun to watch if you are dressed properly.
You can also watch ice skaters in training and sometime there are the biggest names. You may go ice skating on the Oval. If you go to any ski shop or sports shop, for example EMS, start talking to someone who looks like a skiier and you will get more information than you will ever need.

Everything is right there in Lake Placid. For details just ask at the Visitors Office or anyone local.

For some great scenery walk around the Mirror Lake or anywhere. Really! The drive from the Northway exit 30 to Lake Placid is spectacular. Or take a drive from Lake Placid on route 86 to Jay and then on 9N to Keen Valley and back on 73 to Lake Placid.

From our persoanl experience the best food is in the Inerlaken Inn. You will need reservation. It is always much better than Mirror Lake Inn which is good too.
I never eaten at the Nicola's. I heard it is Ok but nothing amazing.

Most important do not worry too much about what to do. Once you get there you will be able to figure out. There is so much.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 04:27 AM
q

Lake Placid Lodge has a wonderful restaurant. Exquisite setting overlooking the lake, but since, unless you eat very early, it will be dark at dinnertime, you may prefer lunch. Great service, intriguing menu and delicious. Make reservations well in advance!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Mike

We stayed last December in Lake Placid Lodge. It is anice place removed from the town but food was only so so

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Cheryl

I really like Jimmy's 21 for Italian food, right in the village. Check out their website (www.jimmys21.com). For great steaks try the Charcoal Pit. Also the Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood is good. Have fun in Lake Placid ... dress warmly!

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in LP for 5 days this past Sept.. Had a Great meal at Lake Placid Lodge and also the Interlaken Inn(behind Mirror Lake Inn). Interlaken was actually very good!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 01:26 PM

Maybe Leah will be returning to LP.
This post is from 2002.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:10 PM

ooppps sorry