Lake Norman West Side Charlotte NC

Old Mar 31st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Norman West Side Charlotte NC

Any thoughts on Sherrils Ford NC. I will be flying to Charlotte soon to possiblly by a lakefront lot in Sherrils Ford. Prices are a lot more reasonable now. Any comments on the west side of the Lake would be appreciated. I already was told it is far enough away from the Steam Plant in Terrell, NC. I hear opposing views on the clarity of the water and if it is ok to swim in the Lake. Also what is the typical color of the water? We own a lot with a slip on Lake Oconee near Madison GA and the water is brown due to the clay bottom. Also, how far from Charlotte and Airport?
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

I guess not many are familiar with the West side of the Lake. I know the East is more populated, but there is something to be said for quiet, even though it may not last long.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:58 AM

Yes, I think you'll probably have to answer the question for yourself by seeing it. Not knowing the real address it is hard to say about the airport access. there may be a reason it has stayed "quiet" for a LONG time, but a lake is a lake to those who love the water.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:37 AM

For my own edification I looked at the map which I am sure you have already done. It's at LEAST an hour's drive to the airport, depending on traffic/time you are going. I will tell you that traffic on I77 (one route they give) can be absolute gridlock at morning drive times.
Route 16, the other route they give (and shorter--but longer "time") has been widened in recent years and could be OK, but again, a major road for "drive time" from that side of Charlotte.
They have completed the 485 loop so that can be good. It also can lead to backups on and off the ramps to I77, for example.
If you can wait a few years, I HOPE they will have light rail to Mooresville!
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:29 AM

Is it the real BigAl? What happened to all the other possibilities?
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

This is the real Big Al. What other possibilities are you talking about? We did buy one lot in Lake Oconee near Madison, which we like but not right on water. We do have a dock down the road and overlooking a 2 acre pond.
We love the Triangle area but no Lake to live on. And now is one of the best time for a buyer if you want to be on a lake. From what I hear the Denver/Sherrils Ford area will eventually be booming but if we wait too long we will have to pay a lot more like on the east side of the lake. Sounds like there is much more to do in the Lake Norman/Charlotte area than in Madison GA. We are looking to keep for retirement in 10 or so years. I love Light Rail. Hope it comes in!!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:47 AM

If I were looking 'lake' in the CLT area I would likely look more towards Lake Wylie or even out a bit to Mountain Island Lake. LKN can be just as congested w/boat traffic as I77 w/cars. There are a ton of developments all over CLT that were abandoned due to the mortgage mess. W/gas prices as they are now, living out as far as Denver is probably not a reasonable commute for many. I think you have ample time. There are many other lakes like Lake Nebo & Lake James.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Being that it would be for retirement the drive to Charlotte would not effect me. Lake James is still to expensive. Have not checked out Lake Nebo yet but will now. Sherrils Ford does not seem to be congested from what I have learned. Not sure about the boat traffic in that area.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

There is no Lake Nebo. I guess you were saying check out Nebo where Lake James is located. Problem is the Lakefront lots at Lake James are still expensive unless you live next to a tower or a view of electric wires etc.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Will be flying in Mid-May. Guess I will stay somewhere in Mooresville. Thanks to all who were hepful. I received some positive info this morning.
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Had a very worthwhile trip. Charlotte airport was crazier (Busy) than I remembered. Stayed in Mooresville but put offer on lot on the West side, Sherrils Ford, lot quieter and more peaceful imo.
Took a nice drive to Hickory and Valdeze. Lake Rhodiss was beautiful. Small but pretty with the Mountains in the back drop. At one lot I saw Table Mountain in the distance. Weather was nicer at night than in Florida. 59 degrees was welcomed. Will see what happens. Wish I had more time to explore.