Lake George - Island day-use

Old May 18th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake George - Island day-use

Sorry if this posts twice...it doesn't seem to have gone through the first time.

Does anyone know any info on the islands in Lake George? I found out that you can get permits to be on them for a day ( Yu can camp out at night too, but we already have a hotel!) Does anyone know which islands are best? Are any more private than others? I mean specifically for day use. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:01 PM

i'm fairly sure that the islands that are not privately owned are handled by the NY state Parks Dept, so it's probably a good bet to start with their webpage.

have fun, LG is one of my favorite places. where are you staying?
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

I have been meaning to get to Lake George for a few years now, so we're finally doing it! We are staying in the Holiday Inn Turf...a room with a lake view.
I did try getting info about island day use from official sources, but they couldn't (or wouldn't!) tell me things like, which island is the best, which is what I really want to know
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
J62

Islands on Lake George are managed by NYS DEC, not park service. Not sure why the difference, but here's their website.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...akegeorge.html

Sounds like you have already checked this official source. Your best bet for real info may be the marina where you either put in your own boat or rent one. You can canoe to some of the islands, but I wouldn't recommend it for novices due to winds and distance.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:36 PM

When I was a teen (mid-80s) my family took a trip to Lake George with our boat. We visited a bunch of islands. No permit was needed. We visited one island that had campsites though we didn't camp out. I remember my brother and I liked "Diamond Island" and have a photo of us standing by the sign.
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help! Funny how no one seems to know all that much about these islands! But it sounds like a good idea to speak to the marina people.