Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Crater Lake NP: Is Wizard Island tour worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a company http://www.craterlakelodges.com/Activities-1843.html offering tour of the Wizard Island. There will be 3-hour free time at the island.

We only have 1 day to spend at this park. Given the boat ride and the hike up/down to the pier, the whole tour will take us from 9-2:30. Considering the season and time constraint, is this worth while to take this tour? Or the time is better spent else where?

Is there any other boat operator that offer shorter stay on the island?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Just 1 person's view, but I didn't think so. To me once you get down to the bottom of the crater it is just another lake, and I didn't find the island all that interesting. Others may disagree, but this is 1 view.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:58 PM

I agree.

We took the boat trip around Crater Lake - we really enjoyed that. We did not get off on Wizard Island - it didn't appear that there was all that much there. The boat trip we took stopped at Wizard Island - and we could have gotten off if we wanted to - but we would have had to wait until there was space on the next available boat until we could leave.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

boom_boom,

Did you get on the island?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 06:11 AM

We are headed there in a couple weeks and have booked the around the lake tour. I am a little worried about the hike down to the lake and back up. My husband is a big guy with a compromised hip (paragliding accident...). We recently did a 1900' elevation hike and the trip back down was harder for him than the trip up.

I was told that it's like 70 flights of stairs to get to the lake and back. Is it a hard climb as far as the trail goes. Is it worth it for us to do it, or should we just go in our car (or motorcyle...we haven't decided which to take yet) around the lake and stop at different view areas? Will we regret not doing the 1 hr. and 45 min. boat ride around the lake? Thanks for any and all feedback!
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM

I think the boat tour is worth it. The perspective is dramatically different from down there, etc. Anyway, as far as the trail goes I think you will be fine. This trail is only 700' elevation change in a mile. There are benches along the way if he tires. I definitely know how he feels that going down is worse than going up (for me, its a knee thing). If you just go at a pace that is good for him, you should be fine.

I would skip Wizard Island for 2 reasons. One, your time. You want to leave enough time for a drive around the rim, or you might take a new trolley ride around so that neither of you have to drive. It just started this summer, so I haven't been on it, but it sounds like a great solution. The other reason is your DH's hip. WI is more hiking, so he may want to not chance doing more than necessary. Just a guess on this though.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Thanks mms! It sounds encouraging and it's taken us years to get to Crater Lake. I would hate to miss it. We are reserved on a 2pm boat. So, I guess the plan is to leave the lodge at noon and check in to get our tickets and hike down to the boat ramp, take the hour and 45 minute boat ride, hike back up and be back at the lodge around 5pm. Does that sound about right? Thanks again!