Lake Champlain region

Search

Lake Champlain region

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2016, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Champlain region

Looking for a fun destination for 3 generations (11 year old boy + 2 adult women) in Burlington VT to Plattsburgh NY area. Any must-do ideas? It will be mid-October and I'm finding lots of outdoor activities are already shut down!
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 02:06 PM
bm

You can walk the grounds of Shelburne Farms. Hike Mount Philo. Shop/eat/people watch on Church Street.
What do you guys like to do?
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 03:33 PM

2 words.....ausable Chasm. Google it and do the walk. Hope u r not afraid of heights!
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 04:20 PM

Shelburne Museum (this is a different museum from Shelburne Farms, though springing from the same Vanderbilt family tree--check out the web sites for each): this is not one building, it is a 40-acre historic site with more than 30 historic buildings plus a 100-year-old steamboat, a lighthouse and an early 20th century carousel. Good for kids and adults. Open til end of October.

Teddy Bear factory tour: just down the road from the Shelburne Museum, in the village of Shelburne, 6 miles south of Burlington.

Scenic cruise on Lake Champlain: from Burlington, take the Spirit of Ethan Allen cruise ship; several cruises per day; until Oct. 16.

Ben & Jerry's tour: Drive 25 minutes from Burlington to visit the Ben & Jerry's factory for a tour, and free samples. Just off I-89.

Walk on top of the Green Mountains: Drive from Burlington to Stowe (about an hour), then take the gondola to the top or drive to the top. From there, you can access the Green Mountain hiking trail, which is fairly level at this point.

Cheeseburgers and sunset watching over Lake Champlain at the Burlington Boat House.

And it will be foliage season. Drive out into the little valleys, visit the villages, drink apple cider, photograph the leaves!
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 05:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
On the lakefront in Burlington, visit ECHO, science and nature center, perfect for kids.
There are miles of bike paths along the Burlington lakefront. Rent bikes and go!
Shelburne Farms, go hiking/ walking there.
Shelburne Museum, a must.see above poster.
Visit UVM, the University of Vermont on top of hill in Burlington.
Visit UVM's art museum.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 06:45 PM

If you decide to go to the Stowe area, take a small detour. Go north on 89 to 104. Take 104 west to 108. There are a few small towns along the way, a winery and a coffee roaster. Head south on 108 and go through Smuggler's Notch. Very fun and beautiful. The 11 year old boy will love the hairpin turn at the Notch. Then proceed on 108 to 100 to Stowe. You will pass the Gondola ride before you it Stowe. That late in October, I believe that the gondola ride is only on the weekend. At least that was the schedule a few years ago.
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 05:28 AM

The Great Vermont Corn Maze in Danville is 1 hr 30 minutes from Burlington. http://www.vermontcornmaze.com/
dh and I tried it several years ago and had to take the emergency exit out. I remember it as being on a side hill so walking got tiring. An 11 year old will probably love it but the adult women should be in decent physical shape. It's very challenging and I thought it was fun.