Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lake Arrowhead -- or Big Bear for Day Trip from L.A.???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm staying in Venice and was thinking it might be nice to spend a day at Lake Arrowhead -- or Big Bear for some different scenery. I'm looking for someplace with easy hiking or walking trails. Just hoping to walk 2 or 3 miles and enjoy the changing leaves.

Which destination would be best -- and easiest to drive to -- as we'll only be there for the day.

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Lake Arrowhead is closer but smaller and more built up. Big Bear is a bit further but has better hiking IMHO.

http://www.bigbearlake.net/hiking/

http://bigbear.us/big-bear-hiking.html
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Agree with RBCal. It will be a long day coming from Venice, but doable. I'm not sure about seeing changing leaves. There are very few deciduous trees, if any.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally think that would be a semi-difficult day trip - especially on a weekday.

It is about 120 miles and probably 3 hours from Venice to Big Bear - and much longer if you leave during the morning commute.

So assuming you leave after 9:30 AM, it will be well after noon before you get to Big Bear. Then 3 hours or so hiking/looking around/having lunch, and 3+ hours driving back to Venice. It is doable but you'd end up w/ twice as much car time as foot time . . . .
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM

We drive up every 4th of July week to Lake Arrowhead but I am also familiar with Big Bear.

Between the two Lake Arrowhead is closer and has lovely trails. Lake Arrowhead has a stunningly beautiful lake with lots of activities (water skiing, fishing, and other boating activities). It has a fantastic trail around the lake which is several miles. But you can also check with the tourist information and find the many other hiking trails in the area - they have them ranked. Between the two towns I think Lake Arrowhead is prettier, while Big Bear is more rustic. But both cater to tourists and have lots of restaurants and things to do.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm considering making it an overnight trip.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - overnight would be great --
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 06:12 PM

I did that circle route and stayed in San Bernardino the night before. How could I resist when the map calls that drive "The Rim of the World".

From San Bernardino (clockwise), I went up 18 to take a look at Crestline, then bypassed Lake Arrowhead to Big Bear. Drove around the lake, watched the boats, stolled some shops had a little lunch and completed the circle by taking 38 down the other side of the mountain. That road connects to the 10 West straight back to Santa Monica.

Hope you do it, it's well worth it for a nice change!
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM

I wouldn't bypass Lake Arrowhead. I think it is beautiful.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM

I did't go there because I read someplace that there's not that much public access to the lake itself? Thats why I went to Big Bear instead, but if my information was wrong, I'd love to know so I don't miss it next time
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM

San Bernardino is a very poor city with a lot of crime. I would not recommend staying there.

There is no public access to Lake Arrowhead. The entire shoreline of the lake is privately owned.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:00 AM
lvk

Big Bear does have more hiking and lake access. It also has cheaper lodging. Lake Arrowhead has better restaurants, IMO. If it were me, I would drive into Big Bear early via the 38, do some hiking and exploring of the lake, then head over to Arrowhead on Rim of the World Highway in the late afternoon for dinner. You could dine lakeside at the Lake Arrowhead Resort www.laresort.com/lars/default.htm , then explore that area the next day before heading home.

BTW, we find that the 105 to the 605 to the 210 is a much less congested route than the 10.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Yes, San Bernardino not only has a lot of crime it's got a lot of smog too.
I realize the lake trails are privately owned, but you can still (if you try to blend in) walk down to the lake as there is a pathway around. You can also access the lake through boat tours, etc.
We've done it for 25 years. We actually have access through the UCLA confrence center which is were we stay - but many of the hotels will provide access too I'm sure.

I think Lake Arrowhead is much prettier than Big Bear and not as far a drive.
But both make for a fun side trip.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM
lvk

I would drive into Big Bear early via the 330 to the 18, NOT the 38. (sorry for the previous typo) It is the quicker drive into Big Bear. The Rim of the World highway is the scenic route to BB, not the fastest.

We have driven the round trip from the South Bay to Big Bear (via the 330) just for the day to ski, many times.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 07:09 AM

We spent a really nice weekend in Big Bear at the end of September. I do not know how many leaves you will see changing and it is a long drive for a day trip and the traffic can be pretty nasty. San Bernadino is not a nice area imo as well.

Lake Arrowhead is also lovely; but I have not been there for about 5 years or so?
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM

We stayed overnight at the Lake Arrowhead resort and loved it. We hiked around the lake and hung out on the hotel's 'beach'. Felt like we were a luxury hunting lodge in the Alps. Instant and AFFORDABLE getaway. Took us only 90 minutes door to door from Sherman Oaks.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM

We have stayed at the Lake Arrowhead Resort several times and we have always had a great time. There are some very nice restaurants in the lake Arrowhead Area. We also like Big Bear and it does have more lake access, but think Arrowhead is prettier. You should see both. I would not stay in San Bernardino - it is not that far to Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear from there.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Okay so some people wouldn't stay in San Bernardino, but I had a perfectly clean and safe motel and had some excellent Mexican food.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO much for the very helpful responses. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) a business opportunity has come up and I won't be able to get away overnight. From what you've shared I'm thinking it will be better to postpone this trip until next time - when I can book an overnight trip -- and not spend the bulk of my day off driving. I've copied all your suggestions into a file.

On a totally separate note, as sunset approached last night, a pod of six dolphins spent quite a while playing, feeding, and putting on quite a show very close to Venice Pier. It was magical!!!
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 08:30 AM

We have driven to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear for the day, and it's a lot of driving, but worth it if you want to get up there. Skiers do it in one-day all the time, and in bad weather conditions.

Cool to hear about the dolphins by Venice Pier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -