Laguardia to Club Quarters Midtown

Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laguardia to Club Quarters Midtown

We are flying into Laguardia and will be staying at Club Quarters Midtown for the first part of our trip (45th between 5th and 6th).

I've done some checking through previous notes to find out transportation options.

From what I can figure out, a cab would be between $25 and $45 including tolls and tip depending on time of day. Does that sound correct? How many people with carry-on luggage could fit in one cab? There will be two of us, but one more friend is arriving at LGA about a half hour later, and two more about an hour after that. We could go on it by ourselves or wait for the friends.

A google told me that we could take a bus into the city - the M60 or the Q33 - for $2.00 exact change. I'm game for the adventure if it wouldn't be too hard to find and then to transfer to something that would take us closer to our hotel. We are arriving mid-morning on a Thursday.

I also saw that we could take a bus to Grand Central Terminal for $10 or a different express shuttle to various locations for $13.

Since we'd have to double the shuttle fees for 2 people, I'm not sure that we'd save that much over the taxi. Of course, if the taxi was closer to $45 than to $25, we'd save more.

Any comments?
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:43 AM

Even in the worst traffic, the cab ride should not cost $45. Do not take the shuttle, you never know ehen you will be dropped off.

The bus to Grand Central will drop you off on 41st and Park which is a 10 minute walk to your hotel with your luggage.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM

The bus into the city will take well over an hour to get into Manhattan, and you would need to get a Metro Card at the airport. There are vending machines there, just ask.

The bus takes a kind of almost siteseeing route into the city, so if you have not been here before, you might consider it. The last stop on the bus is on Broadway and 106th so you can walk a couple of blocks to catch the #1 train getting off close to your hotel and walk a few blocks. The cost of the bus/subway will be $2.25pp (yes you can transfer from the bus to the subway but you have to have a metro card to do that).

Cabs will only take 4 people, it is against the law to take more than 4.

Hope this helps, have a great time while you are here.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:09 AM

Regular cabs will take 4 people and carry-ons (but you would have trouble with 4 people and full luggage). There are van cabs that can hold 5 people - but there is less room for luggage- and they are less than 10% of the fleet - so getting one might mean a wait.

Also - are you all flying into the same terminal? LGA has several - and if you're coming into different terminals getting from one to another and trying to meet would be a PIA.

Public transit is OK if you have only 1 carry-on and don;t mind dealing with stairs. The bus and subway are regular commuter lines and don;t have any place to put luggage - and if during a busy time may be standing room only if you're not one of the first on. (Do understand that subways and buses in NYC run most of the time with more passengers than seats.)

Unless you are landing at rush hour (4-7 pm) the cost of a cab should be somewhere around $30 or so - and IMHO is the only sensible way togo.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like the choices are between the taxi and the bus. The shuttles won't be much of a savings.

Since we'd be too many for a taxi, we could wait for the next friend, but not all 5 of us. It sounds like 3 of us should fit into a taxi as long as we don't have scads of luggage - which we shouldn't.

I'm not sure how to figure out what terminal we are flying into. We are all flying different airlines.

We are flying Delta - (operated by Shuttle America)
The next friend is flying American (American Eagle)
The last friends are United.

Standing on the bus reminds me of the years we lived in Chicago. I'm OK with that - although we might be tired from the early morning flight. Schlepping even minimal luggage would be a hassle though. We'll probably each have a rolling carry-on size suitcase and a bag of some sort.

We'll have to debate about that one.

Can anyone help me figure out if our friends will be coming into the same terminal.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Delta is in a small terminal at LGA, a different one than American.
Call the airline to make sure the Delta flight isn't coming into the Marine Air terminal.This happened to us one time.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM

Delta flights come into the separate Delta terminal- except the shuttles from DC or Boston, which come into the Marine Air Terminal - which is a couple of miles away. there is no listing for Shuttle America - so I'm assuming your flight is really Delta. the other airlines come into the main terminal.

To get from one terminal to another you need to use the airport bus - IMHO too much trouble - given the fact that you really don;t know when any of you will land,

I would just make your own way into the city.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM

First, I think it's penny-wise and pound foolish to waste an hour waiting for friends coming in later than you. You could likely waste even more time if their flight is delayed. Only if your flight is delayed would I bother to wait for any of the others. The trip into Manhattan from LGA is relatively quick. It might make more sense for the other 3 to meet up since United & American are in the same terminal while Delta is separate. http://www.nyctourist.com/travel_lga.htm

As to transport options, for 2 people on the Express bus it's $19. http://www.nyairportservice.com/ Whether to do that or take a taxi or a third option, car service like dial7.com depends on how much luggage you have and the time you arrive. If it's rush hour, I'd order a car service for a flat fee.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

That express bus does sound like a good deal.

Thanks for all the information and opinions. I always know that I can get good advice here.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
ita

mcLaurie, I always value your advice. We are travelling from Laguardia to the Pearl Hotel -49th st.at rush hour. From all the replies to my previous question on transportation, we have decided to take a cab. Now I see that you are suggesting a car service for rush hour. What should we do?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:25 AM

A car service during rush hour is probably a good idea. The price is not much different if you were on the meter, figure $30 plus tip and if you go to the website, there is ofen a coupon for first time customers. Taking a cab during rush hour traffic could end up costing alot more if you are stuck in traffic.

Dial7.com is the one I use when I am traveling, they seem to bet the best.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 03:33 AM

You can go to the web sites of the car service to find prices and see if they have coupons. But do be aware that during rush hours the car services charge more than they do at other times. Also, with car services you still have to pay the bridge/tunnel toll and give a tip as you would with a cab. Your only potential savings is a fixed fare versus running up the meter if the traffic is especially bad.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM

The Express bus does have some drawbacks in that it will likely make stops at the other terminals before heading into Manhattan. Delta would probably be the first stop and sometimes they wait until the bus is filled to leave. The other issue is none of their stops is that close to your hotel. You'll still have to walk from Grand Central to the Club Quarters which I would estimate to be about 10 mins. Not bad without luggage. I also hear some of the bus drivers are pretty bold about demanding tips. What I absolutely wouldn't do is buy tickets for the bus in advance. If you decide that's what you want to use, buy them when you arrive. I've heard too many stories about unscrupulous drivers refusing to accept prepaid tickets.

Dial7 is charging $31 for an online booking from LGA. The toll will add ~$5 and with a tip, you're talking about $42 total. Carmellimo.com is charging $1 less and has some discount coupons on their website but I have better luck with Dial7.

Ita, yes, the reason to use a car service is to get a fixed rate in case you get stuck in traffic. Many other posters think it winds up taking longer with a car service since you have to wait for them to show up. I find it's 6 of one, half dozen of another by the time you wait in the taxi line. You do need to phone either car service to tell them you're ready to be picked up and have your luggage. This avoids your having to pay overtime and parking fees should your flight be late. I will say since the car services don't ask for a credit card to book the reservation, I have no problem leaving without them if they don't show up in a reasonable amount of time. That is, if they say the driver will be there in 10 mins and it's 20 mins. and he still hasn't arrived, I decide whether to wait, phone again or just get a taxi.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM
ita

which one should I use?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 09:30 AM

When I use one (going from the city to an airport) I use Dial 7. they are humungous and always seem to have a car available - unless you get really hideous weather. Also, I have never had a problem with a driver (have had with a couple of other services).
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM

O also prefer Dial7.com if you're asking about a car service. If you're asking about taxi vs. car service, I don't remember the details of your trip to help.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

If we take a taxi, will we need to pay the toll separately or will it be part of the total they charge us when they drop us off? Do people routinely pay with a credit card or should we plan to use cash?
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Update - we flew in this morning. We caught a taxi outside the Delta terminal to take to our midtown hotel. The cost before tip was over $35, so our final cost was over $40.

Both sets of friends took the shuttle bus into town. It was $10 and dropped them off at Grand Central. That was only a couple blocks from our hotel and worked out fine. From what I could figure out, it was actually faster than our taxi.