Lae Nani (East coast) or Poipu Kai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a reservation (no risk) at Lae Nani for next summer. I can get a better rate from a TA that I used a few years ago at Lae Nani. When I called her she asked me why I wouldn't consider Poipu Kai. She likes that area the best. Of course the beaches are better in Poipu than in Kapa'a. The cost will be a bit more and the ocean views will not be what an OV is at Lae Nani. I liked the proximity of Lae Nani to the Coconut Marketplace but then, I would guess that Poipu has as much to walk to. Its too bad that I have so much time before I go to change my mind.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:38 AM

I'd go with Poipu Kai or somewhere around there. Just too much traffic around Kapa'a nowadays for vacation time. Check Suite Paradise's online rates. There's a good few rental cottages along Poipu coast too.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 05:17 AM

I've stayed in Poipu twice, North Shore twice, and Kapaa area thrice. I really prefer the east shore, from Lihue to Kapaa. The traffic isn't as bad staying there as it is driving through. There's the cutoff road (on land owned by Bette Midler) to speed you through town. I enjoy some of the small local shops in Kapaa, and the wide variety of reasonable places to eat. I like shopping at Foodland and Longs. From the Lae Nani you can walk to Coconut Plantation for a Lappert's cone in the evening and a nice mix of specialty and convenience stores. It is quiet and peaceful on the side road where Lae Nani is located. It's a convenient drive to either north or south shore, depending on whim and weather. Kalapaki Beach, one of the island's finest, is just down the road
a few miles. I like the history of the area, and the nice drives inland to waterfalls and tropical forests.
Although I enjoy the beaches in Poipu, I don't care for the general atmosphere. It seems very sterile- a vacation community that could be anywhere in Florida or Southern California. I didn't enjoy walking there, either. Too hot for me, even in the early morning. And no real destination..just a walk past condos and hotels. The best advice is to read various trip reports and comments and decide which seem to echo your own particular priorities and preferences...which may be very different from mine, or from your travel agent's.

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Barbara, thank you for posting. We enjoy looking at the ocean, being near the ocean but are quite happy swimming in the pool. I also like the idea that convenient areas for shopping, dining, ice cream are within easy walking distance. We like the views on the north shore and the south shore. Being in the middle makes sense. I think that staying at Lae nani might just be the right decision for us. I can get what I have booked with Outrigger for a lower rate from a TA booking through Outrigger. It is factoring the one free night which Outrigger direct doesn't seem to offer. Of course I have to pay more up front and sooner and $200 of it won't be refundable if I change my mind. I have the little "issue" of flying on Delta while they are in Chapter 11. .
I was able to get condo insurance from the real estate broker at the Alii on Maui. . Of course its for sickness but I would get "really sick" if Delta stopped flying. We will be on a "swimmable" beach on Maui for 9 days so I am not going to worry about the beach on Kauai. There are too many beautiful sights to see to worry about the beach.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 11:46 PM

Hi again, Dawn. I recommended Lae nani's location and pool to you in aprevious post. Yes, Kapaa has traffic, it is a town. But you are away from that busy main road, down a side road at Lae nani.
"I liked the proximity of Lae Nani to the Coconut Marketplace but then, I would guess that Poipu has as much to walk to."
Au contraire, Poipu does NOT have much to walk to. The Coconut Marketplace has seen better days (at least as of summer 2004) but is still fun, and there are lots of other shops, and more supermarkets ( a couple minutes' drive) for your cooking needs in the condo, in Kapaa.
Poipu is a sunny area with a golden beach. But I agree with Barbara about general atmosphere oif Popipu, at least in the residentail areas. In fact, I agree with jsut about everything she wrote!! Anyway, it's not more than 30 minutes drive from Kapaa, if that, so you'll easily have a chance to spend the day in the area, then return to your condo with its expansive lawn, big pool, and gorgeous ocean view. Try to plan at least one night there for a grilled fish (the grills are at the poolside) feast! Also, try to find out if the outdoor oceanside/poolside bar at Islander on the Beach is open. It's a grogeous 5 minute walk north along the beach from Lae Nani.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Calinurse, I booked Lae Nani on your advice and I have been "reconvinced". The TA that I worked with can get me Lae Nani at a reduced rate which is why I contacted her. I am waiting to see if Outrigger's rates drop down to meet the TA's. Any suggestions for a lower rate? I am not unhappy with what I am paying other than, I hate to pay that if a lower rate for the same thing exists elsewhere.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Hi Dawn..
Depending on your situation, you might find that the somewhat less recent upgrades on the owner rented places won't make too much difference to you. Not sure, though..say if you're on your honeymoon and "need" that new king size bed, daily maid service, a fresher tv and most likely tiles rather than carpet on the floor..go through Outrigger.
The place we stayed at which i think was unit 413 (you can book it at kauivacationrentals.com or vrbo.com web site) was great for our young family of three(2y/o daughter). The owner was fantastic and has had the unit in his family since it was built. Thus there are things about it, that make it more desirable, esp. if you are interested in little homey touches such as books and videos, extra pool toys and snorkels and the like..not to mention the extremely palatable rental rates). I did covet the tile floors and bigger bed of our next door neighbors place just a little, but the difference was not too much, otherwise.
: O ) annie