Search

LA Weekend - suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA Weekend - suggestions please

Hello,
I'm planning a long weekend (Feb 16-19) in LA. Here's what I have planned so far:

We'll be staying at the Chamberlain hotel unless we hear a better suggestion.

We'd like to take an architectural tour (any comments on Architectual tours LA?) on one afternoon;

We'd like to visit the Getty Center and Venice beach.

If we have time, we might like to visit either Griffith observatory or Topanga canyon. Or should we use the time to hang out in our hotel neighborhood instead?

Suggestions for food are more than welcome as we have no current plans. We are big fans of sushi and spice.

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM

The Getty and Venice beach are great ideas.

I'm not sure what I think about an architectual tour... seems to me that LA is light on architecture, although I'm sure for an aficionado there is some good stuff, maybe alot of spanish influence and the like. But not like Chicago where everything is architectually significant.

I can't vouch for the Chamberlain, but have always heard great things and think it is an excellent location to home-base yourself out of. I would spend a little time in that neighborhood. You'll have plenty of great, great restaurants to choose from right there on Sunset, down on Melrose, or closer to the Beverly Center. All are a stroll or short cab ride away. I'd check with your concerige on restaurants... there is so much turnover, the ones I remember might be gone. Great breakfast place called Duke's that you'll be very near.

I would nix Topanga Canyon. You'll be very convenient to Griffith Park, and it is worth a trip. Be sure to explore the windy roads just up the hill from your hotel... where all the stars live. You might see a few getting their morning paper or out for a walk.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM

LA Conservancy tours:

http://www.laconservancy.org/tours/tours_main.php4

You are aware that you need reservations for the observatory? I don't know if you can get them for the same day, so that might rule that out.

Where is the Chamberlain?
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice about the Observatory - I didn't know.

The Chamberlain is near the intersection of Santa Monica Boulevard and La Cienega in West Hollywood.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM

I don't know your hotel neighborhood well enough to recommend, but I'll suggest the chowhound.com Boards if no one else has some recommendations. ThaiTown would be a good choice.

Griffith Park also has the Autry Museum (Western) which really is pretty good, if that interests you.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:49 AM

For sushi, try Wa Sushi & Bistro. It's located at the corner of Holloway/LaCienega above the 7/11. Here's a link to some reviews
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/review/38732705

Might be kind of fun to do a picnic if you go to Griffith Park, since the Chamberlain is on Westmount, it's about 1-2 blocks from Trader Joe's on Santa Monica.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:27 AM

I live in Topanga, and while there's not much "there" to see, it is very pretty and gives you a glimpse of non-urban L.A. There is a famous organic restaurant there called Inn of the Seventh Ray. It has an outdoor setting by the creek that is great in nice weather. Some people love it, some people think it's a waste of time and $$. After seeing Venice, you could drive north up Pacific Coast Highway, go over Topanga to Woodland Hills, and head east back to your hotel, perhaps over Laurel Canyon, another pretty drive. Unfortunately it isn't spring yet, so our hills are still sort of bare.

If the weather is rainy, though, don't do this because the canyons can be a pain in the rain. (!)
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:57 AM

I did one of the LA Conservancy tours that was mentioned above earlier this year and it was excellent, I think it was called the historic core, they also have one that focuses on art deco. There are a lot of interesting buildings in the downtown area, that tour goes into 3 or 4 of them including the Bradbury Building. Plan on eating at the Grand Central Market where the tour ends, lots of tempting options!

Another place you might check out is the Hollyhock House, a Frank Lloyd Wright design. To see the exterior is free, small charge for the interior which I didn't see because I didn't have enough time.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Getty is open to 9pm on Fri and Sat with dinner in the restaurant being an excellent suggestion, spectacular setting above the city, good food (pricey)...combine it with a sunset visit to the museum. Reservations can be made at www.getty.edu