LA trip

Jul 8th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

LA trip

hello, Im driving to LA from Sanjose for 3nights. looking for a place to stay in LA in between Disneyland and Universal studios. We are total 7 travelers, 4 adults and 3 kids. we want to stay for 3 nights and want to do disney land and universal studios also drive around beverly hill for an evening drive. Im looking for a place that is convenient from both destinations. will air bnb be better or hotel?
pls help
Jul 8th, 2019, 12:50 PM

There is no location convenient to both parks. You would be better off staying 2 nights in Anaheim and 1 night near universal/parts of LA.
Jul 8th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

thank you for a quick response. I was thinking it will be difficult to change hotels with kids, but your suggestion is wise.
Jul 8th, 2019, 02:04 PM

Which is more difficult, changing hotels once or spending additional hours in a slow moving car with kids (and presumably 2 other adults)? The drive between Disneyland and Universal can take anywhere from 1 hour to more than 2 hours, depending on the departure time. The mid-way point between them is a mix of industrial and working class residential areas. Not many hotels, but you could look at the Doubletree and the Best Western Plus, both in Commerce, which have relatively good reviews.

Airbnb is mostly heavily regulated or illegal, depending on the city. Anaheim keeps flip-flopping on the issue, so you'll have to research current law. Finding a legal short-term rental that could accommodate 7 people might be difficult anyway. There are lots of lodging options in a wide budget range near both Disneyland and Universal.
Jul 8th, 2019, 02:53 PM

I know itís hard to find lodging for 7.

I recently booked a stay in an apartment in this historic building which is not too far from Universal. My son drove by it to check it out for me, and all the reviews are glowing. There are others, in addition to this one.

https://www.vrbo.com/3251105ha
Jul 8th, 2019, 04:07 PM

To the original question, I agree that it's worth spending the two nights in Anaheim around your Disneyland visit and the other near Universal. There isn't a good place that will get you out of a lengthy commute, especially around baseball games. For 7 people, Expedia has a good search function where you can enter the number of guests and children's ages. Somewhere like Staybridge Suites might work.

You may want to try in Burbank for Universal Studios.

Los Angeles (which includes Hollywood Hills) passed a short term rental ordinance which took effect on July 1.

Not knowing the specifics of whether that location recommend by MoBro has a legal standing as a hotel, or a conditional use permit, I would doubt that it is legal. Probably a good idea to inquire, although it may result in your reservation being cancelled. I can't see any kind of registration number mentioned in the VRBO advertising.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...703-story.html

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 8th, 2019 at 04:36 PM.
Jul 8th, 2019, 07:50 PM

MoBro's recommended apartment has a 3-night minimum. Others of similar size at the same link also have 3-night minimum stay requirements which may be common for larger rentals.

Yes, L.A. City passed their latest short-term rental ordinance, but the regulations are strict and the fines are fairly high as the city works to prevent housing from disappearing into the gig economy. A property owner can only rent out a portion of the home that is his/her primary residence at least half a year, can only rent for a total of 120 nights a year and cannot offer space in a rent-controlled building or anything officially designated as low-income housing. Also, if looking for STRs in the city of L.A., be careful identifying what is actually "in" the city. For example, Hollywood is in, North Hollywood is in, West Hollywood is not, Burbank which borders North Hollywood is not. Just to add to the confusion, Universal Studios is technically not in the city of Los Angeles. AFAIK, STRs are not legal in Burbank or Glendale, some cities have a 4-guest limit, some cities have a 30-day minimum.
Jul 9th, 2019, 06:19 AM

Uh oh. Good to know! The VRBO units Iím looking at are in a designated historic apartment building. I doubt if the units are ever owner-occupied. They are so well-reviewed, and gorgeous, Iíd be surprised if they arenít legal.
I havenít confirmed rental yet, so will definitely find out about its legal status. Thanks for the heads up. Will report back.

Last edited by MoBro; Jul 9th, 2019 at 06:21 AM.
Jul 9th, 2019, 07:24 AM

Why would you be surprised if they aren't legal? I would venture to say the majority of STRs in L.A. County are illegal on one issue or another. The building you're looking at was probably purchased by a developer/investor who is operating it like a hotel without having to comply with all of the laws, regulations, taxes, fire inspections, etc., that real hotels have to follow.
Jul 9th, 2019, 11:05 AM

I have not been to Los Angeles for a long time. Amazing place to stay. We went with friends about 2 years ago. Had a great time.
Jul 9th, 2019, 11:28 AM

Staying "in between the two" means that you'll have trafficky slow drives every morning getting to the amusement parks. Staying in Anaheim is usually a lot less expensive than staying in L.A. so if you're going to choose one, stay there. Just don't drive up to Universal between 6:15am and 9:45am.

The Clementine Hotel near Disney has a room with a king, 2 queens and a sofa bed....not sure what your dates are so I don't know if that room is available. Springhill Suites has 2 queens, a bunk bed and a sofa bed, Residence Inn has the same. Desert Palms Hotel has a 2 bedroom unit with 4 queens.

New law regarding apartments/rentals supposedly went into effect last week, every Airbnb listing is required to have their city license number noted in their listing. I haven't come across one of them yet that does, and I don't know how/when the law is going to be "enforced".
Jul 9th, 2019, 04:44 PM

Iíve sent an inquiry to the property manager re: new VRBO rules. Am hoping these apartments are legit, as it would be the perfect place for our frequent visits to LA. My son drove by yesterday, to see what he thinks, and he gives it the thumbs up for location and appeal. There are a few good-looking units open for our dates.
Checked VRBO ad for city license number, and could not find it.
Called VRBO 888 number, but they referred me to the property manager.
Will report back when I hear from the manager.

Jean, ďsurpriseĒ may not be the correct word. Seeing the professional ads and the multiple glowing reviews on each apartment in the historic register buildingó it seems unlikely itís trying to operate illegal rentals under the radar. Iíll find out.

Last edited by MoBro; Jul 9th, 2019 at 04:51 PM.
Jul 9th, 2019, 06:04 PM

"... it seems unlikely it's trying to operate illegal rentals under the radar."

Can you imagine the cost of enforcement in a city the size of L.A.??? The STRs operators are just working the odds, in the full knowledge that they are making much more than the fines would amount to. Greed trumps voluntary compliance.

The bigger problem (not for you, but for the city) is that these properties have been removed from the housing stock which is already well short of the need and that rents of long-term rentals are being driven to levels that are unaffordable to the average person/family. This and homelessness are not totally unrelated issues.
Jul 9th, 2019, 06:12 PM

Thank you for the detail, Jean. I have not heard back from the property manager. However, I do not want to support anything that negatively affects housing in LA, as you describe. It’s a nightmare, as it is. So I will probably avoid it, even though the apartments are MUCH nicer and less expensive than anything comparable. Maybe too good to be true.

In the meantime, and for the OP, I researched and booked The Magic Castle. It’s not a bad drive to Universal, as I recall. Has great amenities for kids. Free candy and popsicles! Pool. Breakfast. Great reviews for its service. Large suites (was previously an apartment building). Inexpensive self-parking. Funky old Hollywood vibe.

To answer the original question, I recommend one night near Disneyland and then two nights near Universal. If you stay on the other side of the pass, like the Magic Castle, you’d also be close to Beverly Hills, Hollywood Bowl, etc. In fact, attending a show at the Hollywood Bowl might be a fun family idea. It’s a very unique venue.

Last edited by MoBro; Jul 9th, 2019 at 06:17 PM.
Jul 9th, 2019, 11:29 PM

The problem with only one night in Anaheim is that the two parks really do fill up two full days and staining one night you lose the so much time with afternoon check in and morning check out. Same goes with just one night in LA. So you really need to decide which you want to cut short . . . Disney or Universal/LA.

With children I'd personally want the two nights at Disneyland
Jul 10th, 2019, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the suggestion, much appreciated!
Jul 12th, 2019, 05:21 AM

Yes, you need to decide how much time to spend at Disneyland. One full day there is intense. Two days in a row might be too much.

At least that was our experience with our kids. Kind of depends on the kidsí ages, too. Little ones can get over-stimulated and overwhelmed. They might need to get a nap during the day, which may or may not be convenient, depending on where you are staying.

And do you want to go to Universal, as well? I agree that Disney is the better choice of the two.
The adults need to decide if the trip will be centered mainly around the kids.
Jul 12th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoBro View Post
Yes, you need to decide how much time to spend at Disneyland. One full day there is intense. Two days in a row might be too much.

At least that was our experience with our kids. Kind of depends on the kidsí ages, too. Little ones can get over-stimulated and overwhelmed. They might need to get a nap during the day, which may or may not be convenient, depending on where you are staying.

And do you want to go to Universal, as well? I agree that Disney is the better choice of the two.
The adults need to decide if the trip will be centered mainly around the kids.

Now that I have decided to spend two night in disney and one in universal. The day we arrive will be late afternoon so we will be resting and getting ourselves charged for the next big day. Will do disney one day and universal the next day. Im unable to decide if i should do disneyland or disney adventure park. Can't do both. My kids like thrill rides but also want to see the characters. Upon researching I found DAdventure park does not have much characters. Disneyland is more of walking and meeting characters than rides. Can you suggest which will be better. Thanks in advance!
Jul 12th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Disneyland is much better than California Adventure. If your kids want a few thrill rides look into nearby Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park. It has some coasters as well as classic rides like the steam train, Western town, log ride and stagecoach, etc.
Jul 12th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Disneyland is more of walking and meeting characters than rides.

Absolutely not true! There's plenty of thriller rides at Disneyland.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO