0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LA to Yosemite drive in June 2018

Old May 13th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA to Yosemite drive in June 2018

Hello All,

I am from India and would be travelling mid June from Disneyland in LA to Yosemite with my 7 year old daughter. We would like to take the scenic route and have kept aside 3 nights for the journey. Need to know what route to take and also where do we stop for the 3 nights. Thanks
Old May 14th, 2018, 07:31 AM

You'll have to tell us which route you wanted to take. You can enter the park from the east (Hwys. 395 and 120), from the south (Hwys. 99 and 41), and from the west by several routes using a variety of highways. The east and west approaches are scenic; the south approach not so much.

Do you have your lodging reservations in Yosemite?
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:03 PM

Yes, I think the first question is whether or not you have lodging in Yosemite yet - if so, where is the lodging - if not, build your itinerary around what is available.
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a quick FYI: Disneyland is not in LA (it is in Orange County). So hopefully you are staying nearby if Disneyland is the focus of your Southern California visit.

The direct route to Yosemite from Orange County or Los Angeles is not at all scenic and there is no place worth a stop over. However if your wanted to visit Sequoia/King Canyon National Parks, or drive up the eastern side of the Sierra - then either of those would be worth a detour - neither would require 3 days though.

Where are you staying in Yosemite? This important because it would help determine which if any alternate routes fit better.
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:39 PM

I could easily spend three days driving Hwys. 15/395/120 from Anaheim to Yosemite, exploring the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

I'd spend the first night in Lone Pine and see the Film History Museum, perhaps have lunch or dinner in the historic Totem Café. This town is a popular stop for Sierra hikers, especially those climbing Mt. Whitney (the highest mountain in the continental U.S.).

The next day, I'd drive to the Manzanar National Historic Site (which relates the sad story of the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II) and then make a short stop at the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery (where your daughter might enjoy feeding the trout in the large pond in front of the historic hatchery building). Then continue to June Lake where I'd spend the second night (and the third night if you have that many).

From June Lake, you can make an excursion to Mono Lake. The interpretive center at the lake explains the lake's environment and includes information and displays about the Native American tribe that inhabited this area. If you have another day (or the time and energy the same day), you could visit the ghost town of Bodie which is about 45 minutes north of Mono Lake.

You'll want to give yourselves the better part of a day to drive from June Lake to Yosemite Valley. If possible, take a picnic lunch with you to enjoy somewhere along the way. There are numerous scenic places to stop.
Old May 14th, 2018, 07:11 PM

I agree with your 395/etc. sites -- could easily be done in two days but three would definitely be more leisurely - especially if they want to hike.
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Hello, Thanks so much for your effort. We will be staying at Half Dome Village (Formerly Curry Village) inside the park. and at Disney we are staying very close to the park. We have 3 nights en route and I would like to take the scenic route. Also looking at covering The Monterrey Aquarium (as I am travelling with my 7 year old). Have been reading that the Tioga road is scenic. Need you inputs pls. Thanks once again.
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:17 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Highway 395, the way to Tioga Road, is my favorite drive but it will depend, for your purposes, on whether Tioga Pass is open when you need it to be. Most years it opens sometime in May but last year it didn't open until the end of June. There was less snow this year so I imagine it will be open, but keep checking on these websites until it is so you can make alternate plans if necessary:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:50 AM

>>Also looking at covering The Monterrey Aquarium