LA to San Diego

Sep 27th, 2000, 09:53 PM
Ricky

LA to San Diego

I'm planning a side trip to San Diego from LA. Did anyone try Amtrak train from LA to San Diego? Nice journey? Thanks for other suggestions?

Sep 28th, 2000, 12:34 AM
SDSam

I live in San Diego and have taken the Amtrak train many times between Los Angeles and San Diego as well as other coastal areas farther north. I strongly recommend it as a great way to visit San Diego. The train station in San Diego is right downtown in a great location a block from the waterfront. Downtown San Diego is a great city for walking and you will arrive at about the best point there is. You will be one block from the Broadway Pier where you can take the ferry to Coronado. Very inexpensive with great views of the water and the city. You can also walk to Horton Plaza, Gaslamp Area, along the waterfront etc. The train station is also right next tot he San Diego Trolley if you wan to venture farther out such as to Tijuana or whatever. Personally, I would skip that as there is plenty to do within walking distance and the ferry. You will have a great time and the train is really an excellent choice.

Sep 28th, 2000, 05:41 AM
Ricky

SDSam
Thanks for your suggestions. Is San Diego Zoo far from downtown or worth avisit? Do you think I can include the zoo in my day trip from LA?
Thanks again.

Sep 28th, 2000, 11:14 PM
SDSam

The San Diego Zoo is not far from downtown though it is too far to walk. The zoo is about 3.5 miles from the train station. If you like to visit zoos then the San Diego Zoo is well worth it. It is one of the best, if not the best in the world. You could include the zoo in your day trip depending on what else you wish to do. I would allow at least 4 hours for the zoo. You can take the zoo bus ( I forget what they call it ) which hits all of the high points in about 45 minutes. The zoo charges a farly high admission fee if that is a concern. I think it runs about $15.00 or so including the bus tour. Could be more as it is 4 years since I have visited it.

Sep 29th, 2000, 07:41 AM
Ricky

SD Sam
Thanks again. If I go to San Diego (not yet confirmed), the zoo will be on my priority visit list. It looks interesting on its homepage. I hope it's not overstated. Appreciate for any other comments regarding San Diego.

Oct 9th, 2000, 06:58 AM
Ricky

SD Sam,
Any suggestions for accomodations in SD downtown with a budget of around $100 (all inclusive)?
Thanks.

Oct 10th, 2000, 07:21 AM
SDSam

It will be virtually impossible to find accomodations that are all inclusive anywhere near $100.00. I would try the Gaslamp Plaza Suites on 5th and E. It is a very nice place ( great location ) and though a timeshare, they do rent by the night to the public. I believe that they serve some free meals ( light ) on the roof patio and their rates should be fairly close to what you want. They have a web site. I don't have their URL handy but just do a search for "Gaslamp Plaza Suites" and you wil find it.

Oct 10th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Terry

I live in the greater Los Angeles area and have taken the Amtrak train many times to San Diego. It's the most enjoyable way to get there, you arrive relaxed and you don't end up stuck in traffic. If you have a car while you are here in L.A. you can pick up the train at Edison Field (Anaheim Stadium) in Anaheim and parking is free. My in laws live in S.D so I've never stayed in a centrally located hotel there but have always wanted to stay in the Old Town area (easily accessible by the S.D. Trolley) and I think hotels are resonable there. As far as the Zoo, Amtrak offers a Zoo Bus that will take you from the train station to the Zoo and back.

Oct 11th, 2000, 11:54 PM
Ricky

Thanks SDSam & Terry.
One more thing: what is the most convenient way to get from Union Station in LA (after Amtrak from SD) to LAX Int'l Airport? How long does it takes? I want to put SD in my last stop and fly home from LAX.

Oct 12th, 2000, 06:11 AM
Terry

I would say that the most convient way to get from Union Station to LAX is Super Shuttle, you will have to make arrangements ahead of time; their number is (310) 782-6600. Depending on time of day it shouldn't take more than an hour and a half to an hour. Super Shuttle will determine the best time to pick you up depending on the time of your flight out.

Oct 12th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Gary

Ricky:

An alternate, much cheaper method of getting from Union Station to LAX is via train. It would require a 5-minute subway ride (Red Line) and two twenty-minute light-rail rides (Blue and Green Lines). Subways are about ten minutes apart during the day, the trains 15-to-20 minutes apart; thus, the trip could take anywhere from 50 minutes to 90 minutes. At the Aviation Ave. stop, there is a shuttle to the terminals. The schedules are here:

http://www.mta.net/metro/metrorail/metro_rail_main.htm

NOTE: You don't mention when you're going to be here, but the transit workers currently are on strike. Check the MTA home page before your trip:

http://www.mta.net/