LA to Reno

Jul 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

LA to Reno

We are planning an 8-day trip in August, starting in LA and ending in Reno where we will fly back to Philly. I'm thinking of Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite parks and/or stops in the Central Valley. Appreciate any suggestions. -- Steve
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM

If you have never traveled in this area, I suggest you include a drive up the Coastal Highway (Highway 1). Here is a possible routing: Santa Barbara, Cambria, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Yosemite NP, Bodie State Park (a very interesting ghost town), Lake Tahoe, Virginia City, Reno.

HTTY
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Consider taking 101 and 1 as far north as Paso Robles then across the Valley to Fresno and on into Yosemite. Exit the park via 120 though Toulumne Meadows and Tioga Pass, Check out Mono Lake, the take the Bodie turnoff (our could also take the back way into Bodie off 167 and then exit on 270 back to 395.
Stay north on 395 through Topaz Lake all the way to Carson City and the take 50 east to 341 into Virgnia City and back to 395 and into Reno.
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Are you talking about next month?

If you choose to drive up the coast, you'll want to have lodging reservations. Most places along the coast have a 2-night (sometimes 3-night) minimum from Friday (sometimes Thursday) to Sunday during the summer. You may have to do some searching to find availability.

If you want to sleep IN the three Sierra parks (I assume you're not camping), you'll need lodging reservations which may be impossible to obtain at this late date.

Personally, I'd visit the three parks or drive the coast but not do both in the same 8-day trip.
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM

I forgot to add that Bodie is interesting, but I wouldn't visit it in August. Hot, dry, dusty and exposed to afternoon winds.
Jul 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM

"stops in the Central Valley." Boy - will you be disappointed

The coast, yes -

The mountains, yes -

The Central Valley -- in AUGUST -- nope. It isn't an overly scenic area at the best of times, but in August the southern Central Valley can easily be over 110°F

Your main problems will be finding accommodations on the coast (doable but you need to get on it ASAP) and Yosemite (very difficult but there are sometimes cancellations)

Whether you can do both the coast and sierra depends on if your 8 days includes any time IN either LA or Reno. It is VERY late to be looking for rooms in the best areas.
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Steve, my interpretation of your post is that you are tentatively planning to visit Sequoia-Kings Canyon and Yosemite on your way from LA to Reno, and you may in addition stop somewhere in the central valley and are looking for suggestions.

Sequoia National Park is a WOW! and Yosemite is a WOW plus! I recommend you firm your plans to visit both parks.

The central valley runs for about 400 miles from around Bakersfield in the south to Redding in the north. It's an enormously productive agricultural region. South of the Sacramento delta it's called the San Joaquin valley and north of the delta it's called the Sacramento valley, and that's where Sacramento is. Sorry for sounding stupid.

I predict you will NOT be disappointed if you visit the city of Sacramento after you leave Yosemite. It is the State Capital, after all. The Capitol (building) is listed as a gem in the AAA tour book and it really is, because it had to be retrofitted for seismic safety around 1975 and in the process they painstakingly restored the interiors to their original condition circa 1900. Take the guided tour to get a real appreciation for what was done. Other interesting sites include the Railroad Museum (gem), Old Sacramento, and Sutter's Fort (gem).

From Sacramento, find your way to the gold country and Sutter's Mill, then to Lake Tahoe, and then to Reno.
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM

I live in Sacramento - it has a LOT to recommend it. But not on a quick driving tour of LA, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and Reno (and possibly the coast).

My was re the valley in general - not Sacramento in particular. The Central Valley has abundant farms - but it is n NOT a scenic area, especially in the areas west of Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Yosemite -- and it will be blazingly HOT!! . .
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Sacramento in August will be hot-hot-hot, but I agree there's a lot to see.
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM

The heat inland is one reason I sent the OP along the coast; the other is for the hard-to-equal scenery.

HTTY
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Yep - anyone who ventures anyplace from Redding to Bakersfield in August -- will learn what HOT means w/o having to go anywhere near Death Valley or the Mohave . . . .
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM

I think in 8 days you could do the coast route as far as Paso Robles and then cut over to Fresno and on into the National Parks. However, it is going to be very difficult to get reservations particularly around Yosemite. I was just looking at Yosemite reservations for someone else who wanted the beginning of August and it was completely booked except for a random night. If you are coming the last two weeks of August, looks like there are rooms at the Curry Village.

Rooms along the coast might be a little easier to get just because there are more options but I would book your accomodations as quickly as possible.

Also went back and read your original post. I think someone else also asked this question but does the 8 days include some time in LA and Reno or is the 8 days the time you have for the travel between the two? That will make a huge difference as to how much time you have to make this trip.
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM

JanisJ: But it's a DRY HEAT!!!