SF to LA by road...advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a late 40's UK couple who will be honeymooning in California in mid June. We are flying into LA, and then immediately flying up to San Francisco for a week in a hotel. We then plan to drive back down the coast road to LA. We have allowed two weeks for the road trip as we have heard so much about the area we don't want to rush it. What we would like to hear is advice from people as to a where to stop en route ( including side trips - Yosemite perhaps?)and how long to spend in each place. We would also appreciate any advice on areas/towns to avoid!. We are making all the arrangements ourselves and this info will help us book accommodation before we set off. Our interests are broad, including historic sites, natural wonders, lazing on the beack or by the pool and shopping! Many thanks in advance! Si and Angie
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Congratulations to you, Si and Angie. With two weeks for the road trip part of you honeymoon, you could do a very nice loop trip, down the coast and back up along the mountains. I'm sure I will be one of many to recommend that you start with a drive down Highway 1, through Half Moon Bay, Monterey and Carmel, Big Sur, and the central coast. I will leave it to others to recommend accomodations along there; there are mnay wonderful places to stay and spend some time. South of the terminus of this section of Highway 1, where it joins with Hwy. 101, the small town of Avila Beach is well worth a stay. It is off the main roads and much quieter than other beach resorts. Try here: http://www.avilabeachca.com/ for accomodations. There are wineries and other attractions in this area.

I'm going to leave Santa Barbara and the rest, to the south, for others to put in their recommendations. I grew up down there, but it's not my favorite part of California.

To address Yosemite: it depends if you can get accomodations there; they tend to book up a year in advance, but you may find something mid-week. You might check for availablity there first, and then build the rest of your plans around the Yosemite dates. The valley is incredibly beautiful, but again, very crowded in summer. There are accomodations just outside the park as well. If you like alpine scenery, the high country around Tuolumne Meadows (at 9,000 feet elevation) is the place to go. From there you could visit Mono lake, another natural wonder, and south to the Mammoth Mountain volcanic area. This "east side" of the Sierra Nevada is a beautiful and less-visited part of California.

Or you could visit Lake Tahoe, a huge mountain lake at 6,000 feet on the California-Nevada border. The south shore is a crowded city, best avoided, but the west and north shores are much nicer, and it should be possible to find lodges or other places with room for you in late June. The drive up the west side of the lake is beautiful. From the top of the lake you reach Highway 80, which will return you to San Francisco in about 4 hours. (You will need airconditioning in your rental car to cross the central valley; temperatures can exceed 100 F even in June.)

If you would like more information about any of these places as your plans develop, I'll check back.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
2 weeks will be a very nice road trip. I agree w/ enzian to very first off (like today) see if you can get accomodations in Yosemite Valley any time during the two weeks. If so, the rest of your itinerary can be worked around that.

If accomodations are not available, then I'd stick to the coast. 3 or 4 days (or even more if you can swing it) in/near Carmel for Pebble Beach, Bug Sur, Monterey, Point Lobos. 2 days near Cambria/Morro Bay for Hearst Castle and other scenery. 3 days in/near Santa Barbara for wineries, scenery etc. and then wind up w/ a few days in Santa Monica before flying home.

Or if you don't want to spend time in LA isteslf, add the extra days to Carmel and Santa Barbara.

If you can get a room in Yosemite, the best route would be SF to Yosemite for at least 2 days, then over to the coast at Monterey and then south as above.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Hello Si and Angie, congratulations on your wedding! If you do happen to go to Lake Tahoe from SF may I suggest that you do not drive to Tahoe on Friday afternoon, or return from Tahoe on Sunday afternoon. Usually very heavy traffic which will add time to your trip. Welcome to California.

P.S. When you are in Santa Barbara you might enjoy driving south on 101 and take the Hwy 33 turn off and drive east on that for about 15 miles and enjoy the small relaxing and pretty town of Ojai. If you go to today SF Chronical (website is www.sfgate.com) there is a good article about Ojai in their Travel section. Also at Ventura, if you take the turn of for Ventura Old Town (west-water side) of 101 (south of the Hwy 33 turnoff) there are many wonderful restaurants, shops, marina and Spanish architect buildings. Ojai and Old Town Ventura could be enjoyed in one day.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Si and Angie--I just checked Yosemite, using random dates in June (June 20 to 23). There are rooms without bath (i.e. not ensuite, bath and showers down the hall) at Wawona, an historic hotel which is above the valley, about 30 minutes away, near the Sequoia groves. In the valley itself, there are tent cabins available at Curry Village. I've stayed in these. They are pretty rustic---tent top with a cement floor; bath and showers in a common building nearby. (We used the showers last summer while camping there; the bathhouse is nearly new and quite nice). It's not exactly honeymoon accomodations, but it is in the valley. Personally I would move heaven and earth to able to spend several nights IN, as opposed to near, the "incomparable valley", as it has been called. (I lived and worked there for a year after college; can you tell I love the place?)

You can reserve these online here: http://www.yosemitepark.com/lodges2c...D=22&PageID=36

Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you can get a room in one of the hotels in Yosemite Valley (Ahwahnee or Yosemite Lodge), it would be worth your while to drive there from San Francisco. There's nothing like it in the world, and all of my English friends (who have multi-interests)that I've taken to Yosemite have found it to be one of their favorite places on earth. The other is the coastal route, so you've picked some really good choices.

There are others who can describe the best route, since we are from L.A. and generally take the direct route from L.A. to Yosemite and back (we did San Francisco to Yosemite to L.A. once); and L.A. to San Francisco or Monterey and back, using either 101 (goes inland and coastal, in parts) or Highway 1, which is the coastal route.

Places I don't like (a matter of preference) are: Salinas and Bakersfield (especially in summer) and I'm not a desert person either, so Death Valley and Palm Springs are places I generally avoid. Having said that, you might enjoy Palm Springs if you enjoy lazing by the pool -- it will certainly be warm enough to enjoy the pools there in June.

I can't think of one place along the coastal route from Monterey to Oxnard that I would avoid -- most of the little towns along the route are charming beach towns. The water will still be cold and there will be morning fog, but if you've ever been to Brighton and stuck your toe in the water, the Pacific is warm in comparison.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Surfergirl---great advice. Even if they can't get a room at the Ahwahnee or the Lodge, they can dine there. The beautiful Ahwahnee dining room is an experience in itself.

I think I misspoke when I suggested a loop trip. They are probably thinking of one-way, SF to LA and turn in the car there. So if they drive down Highway 1, they won't have to face Salinas at all.

It's pretty late in the UK. They probably won't see these until tomorrow.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM

ttt
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Dear everyone...we are amazed at the wonderful response to our query and really can't thank you all enough!If this is the kind of welcome we can expect when we get to the States we are going to have such a great time.

Once again thanks...but please dont stop <big grin!> Si and Angie
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Hi Si and Angie---what are your thoughts so far? Can you give us an idea of the areas you would like more information about? Also, have you looked at the lodging opportunities in or near Yosemite? It would help to know if this is still part of your plan.

I'm sure there are lots of people who can help with recommendations along the coast. I think Janis' idea is a good start: a trip over to Yosemite and back, then 3 or 4 days each in the Monterey/Carmel area, Morro Bay/Hearst Castle (may I add Avila Beach?) and Santa Barbara/Ojai and the wine country of Santa Ynez Valley, ending at Santa Monica (or perhaps Venice Beach) for a real Southern California beach experience, very close to the airport for your flight home. The Getty Museum is close to there, and worth a visit.

But I'm more of a central and northern California person, so I'm one who would say spend more time at the north end of the trip (Monterey, Carmel, Point Lobos, Big Sur).

I think you can look forward to a warm welcome here, and I hope we can help you with your plans for a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Once you get south of Santa Barbara, the coastal road is only interesting as far as Ventura. You then are given the option of moving inland, away from the coast, and it's really not a loss. A lot of the shoreline is taken up with military bases at that point, and you lose sight of the ocean.

Those of us who grew up in SoCal defend Oxnard, but in truth it's a not a scenic place and is actually VERY rough in sections (and it's too easy to get lost).

So I would recommend getting off the coastal road and taking 101 toward LA until you come to Malibu Canyon Road. Take the canyon road west over the mountains, and you will be rewarded with a very pretty descent into Malibu.

If you are looking for a great place to stay in Malibu that will not break the budget, I highly recommend the Casa Malibu Inn, which is an old-fashioned, beautifully run bungalow motal right on the ocean. You can lull yourself to sleep to the sound of crashing breakers and enjoy sunsets and sunrises with the dolphins and pelicans. (You can bump into Hollywood royalty during strolls on the beach.) I would stay there forever, but it can be too far out for more than a night if you are planning a lot of touristing in LA.

I used to live in Ojai, and it is a nice side trip. To get the authentic flavor of the town that Annie Besant believed was going to be the fertile ground of a new civilization, go out to make a stop at the Krishnamurti Library (you can find directions and hours on the web), which is in the loveliest part of very, very quiet town. There is a pottery shop down the road, and horse farms and orange groves. In mid-June it should be quite attractive.

There are also quiet places to stay in Ojai if you do a web search for Ojai B&Bs (plus there is one very fancy hotel, the Ojai Inn, with a golf course).

Enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Oh yes-- Venice Beach. If you are a modern architecture buff, or a Richard Diebenkorn buff, you'll be intterested. If you want to sample the legendary goofball and youth-worshipping life of SoCal, hanging out in Santa Monica (with all its good food) is the place to do that. There are plenty of good accommodations in both places. I would check out www.tripadvisor.com and do searches for Santa Monica and Venice beach, CA if you think you want to stay there. (Me? I like the Casa Malibu -- but be warned that traffic on PCH between SM and Malibu can be quite thick.)
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Hi again---it might help to know your budget for accomodations: luxury and/or waterfront/view ($250 + a night)? Moderate and charming ($125-$250)? Or quaint/simple/undiscovered (under $125)?

This would help people to make specific lodging recommendations.

You might also try starting a new thread titled something like, "UK couple seeks help with California coastal trip". This might attract more attention and helpful responses.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Ok...so far we are thinking that Yosemite for 3 days ( if we can get en-suite accommodation!..we are on honeymoon after all!!!) followed by 5 days in Carmel ( all suggestions for side trips within a days reach of Carmel most appreciated) , and then 3 days in Santa Barbara....( side trips??).....so the bit that needs filling in is how best to use the remaining 5 or 6 days...maybe as has been suggested around Cambria/Morrow or perhaps exploring around Santa Monica or Malibu or Venice...I guess it's nice to have these decisions to make...as for accommodations we have a budget for hotel rooms of $200 per night...but are happy to go basic some nights and luxury others!...We are going to take Enzian's suggestion and start a couple of threads specific to the main stopping points we decide on...

Once again folks thankyou!...we love this forum!...If we are slow in our responses it is because we travel away from home a lot with business, and can't always get to a terminal...
Si and Angie
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:08 AM

Hi, Si and Angie! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Might I suggest that you not fly into San Francisco from Los Angeles but drive? The suggestion of a loop trip makes a lot of sense for what you are contemplating.

You could drive from Los Angeles to Yosemite via the inland route and then from Yosemite (east to west) to San Francisco. Then you drive south along the coast from San Francisco back to Los Angeles, thus completing the loop.

The drive from SF to Yosemite is dreadful and you really want to do it once. Whereas the drive into Yosemite from the south is quite pleasant. In addition, you could go through some of the other parks - Sequoia and Kings Canyon.

On driving along the coast: 5 days in Carmel is too many days in one place.

You could spend two nights in Carmel which would be more than enough time for you to visit Monterey (Monterey Bay Aquarium is an attraction there, if you like aquariums), 17 Mile Drive, downtown Carmel, and Pt Lobos (just 2 miles south of Carmel).

Then you could go south and spend one night at Pfeiffer Big Sur Park (it's just a few miles down the coastal road from Carmel) and get one of their rustic cabins. You can then explore Pfeiffer Big Sur - this is mostly hiking country and viewing the magnificent coastal redwoods. Lunch at Nepenthe restaurant. Hike Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (only waterfall in California that falls into the Pacific Ocean), very easy hike.

The next night in Cambria. The drive between Carmel and Cambria should be done slowly. It's one of the most spectacular coastal drives in the world and there will be many turnouts where you can stop and view the magificent scenery. Therefore, plan on about 1/2 day to get from Pfeiffer Big Sur Park to Cambria.

Most people stop in Cambria to visit Hearst Castle. You may wish to do the same.

Then, on down along the coast for your next night in Santa Barbara. In this section of your trip, you may want to stop off at Avila/Pismo/Shell Beach for one night. In this area is a famous steakhouse, McClintock's, where you can experience a "Western" beefsteak. Make reservations as it is busy almost all day.

In this section there is also another very interesting stop: La Purisma Mission near Lompoc. There are several missions along your travel route, but I believe that Purisma will offer you the best glimpse into an important period of California history - the period of the Catholic missions.

From Santa Barbara, the side trip to Ojai (pronounced "O-High") is a great idea. You can also visit nearby Solvang, "the Danish capital of the US".

As you get into Los Angeles, the Getty Museum is a great suggestion. Los Angeles has a great deal to offer.

If you want to continue on down, you could go all the way to San Diego, which also has a lot to offer.

This is just a quick overview of the places you could go with possible stops. I'm certain the other Fodorites can give you even better ideas and possible itineraries.

Have fun planning and welcome to California!

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:01 AM

Hi, we did a similar trip a couple of years ago.

We didn't hire a car in SF you don't need it. Then picked a car up and went up to Napa/Sonoma to sample the wine country. We then spent 3 nights in Monterey which was great. We went whale watching which coming from the UK ourselves was fantastic. We then headed down to Morro Bay. We didn't stop at Hearst Castle. To be honest and not to offend our friends in the States, it does look amazing but we have the real thing back in the UK!!

Morro Bay isn't the prettiest place in the world either but then again the fog had decended by this point!

We stayed in Santa Monica which provided us with access to the beaches but also the sights of LA too.

Have you thought about another internal flight to Las Vegas which is easy and realtively cheap to do? It is worth seeing if you're heading that far west.

Hope thats helpful

Gareth
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:10 AM

I agree that 5 days is too long in Carmel, although I'm not sure you'd want to add driving the back route up to Yosemite instead (but it's a thought!)

I also think adding Heart Castle to your itinerary is a good tip, but Cambria gets a lot of fog, even in the summer, so I wouldn't hang out there.

If you are truly mad for gardens, the Santa Barbara area has a lot, so you might add on there. But if not, move further south to L.A./Santa Monica after your 3 days in Santa Barbara (3 days is enough there, including day trips).

It actually does rain sometimes in Californa, although you might not see a drop of it in mid-June. Still, spending long chunks of time in one small place on the coast risks being stuck with next to nothing to do if the scenery disappears or it's not fun to be outside.

So arranging your longer chunks of time near sizeable areas with museusm, etc, is a good back up. And those would be: SF, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica (unless I'm forgetting someplace).

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:45 AM

UK visitors that I have escorted most enjoyed Yosemite, Carmel, Big Sur, and for some odd reason, Las Vegas.

For Morro Bay, I recommend the Back Bay Inn which is in Los Osos rather than near the wharf. I think mid-week you should be able to keep your rate under $200.

Sycamore Mineral Springs near Avila Beach is worth a stop especially if it's not a beach day.

There's also wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley area north of Santa Barbara.

I also say 5 days of staying in Carmel/Monterey is too much. Try to overnight somewhere along Big Sur and continue down US1 to San Simeon, Cambria, etc. And Santa Barbara is pretty, but also two nights is enough.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM

Thrilled to have found this site. Aussie couple, planning a road trip in California in May - looking for best places to spend time, without crowds.
about to check availability in Yosemite as advised. Looking for advise about Crescent city - want to see the Redwoods.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Hello Mitre---you don't need to go as far north as Crescent City to see redwoods (unless you want to). some of the best groves were preserved before the National Park was created, along Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The Benbow Inn, an historic inn, is a nice place to stay when visiting this area: http://www.benbowinn.com/ but there are lots of other places to stay in the small towns along Highway 101. On the way back, you can cut over to the coast route (Highway 1) at Leggett to Fort Bragg, and see Mendocino, Fort Ross State Park (center of Russian California) and some of California's best coastal scenery. It's well worth spending the night along this coast. It shouldn't be crowded in May if you go mid-week.

As I suggested to the others----see what you can find in Yosemite lodgings first, then plan the rest of your trip around that. Where else are you thinking of going? I'm assuming that from Australia you will be flying into Los Angeles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -