Search

LA to Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA to Oregon

Thanks
to everyone's suggestions this is what I have come up with for our trip this August

Fly into LA 4 nights- amusement parks
drive to bishop- 1 night
drive to Yoesmite- 2 nights
drive to lake tahoe - 2 nights
drive to red bluff - 1 night
Drive to Eureka - 1 night
Drive to cresent city - 2 nights
drive to cave junction - 2 nights
drive to crater lake - 1 night

then what I have 4 nights before we have to fly home.

where to fly home from?
what to do on the way?

Thanks

Melissa
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:33 AM

I'm not too thrilled with this itinerary unless you are visiting family in Bishop, Red Bluff, and Crescent City.

Or, perhaps you have visited California and Oregon many times and want to check out some of the backwaters.

Have you considered spending some time on Highway 1?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

we have done route 1 several times and want to see something different.
Bishop we want to go to to see the world war 11 japanese interment camp.
Red Bluff is a just a stopping point
and I was under the impression that crescent city was a good place to stay to see the redwoods.

Am i incorrect>

Melissa
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Bishop to Yosemite Valley is 135 miles and about 3 1/2 hour drive. Since you have a few extra days, I'd highly recommend another night in Yosemite.

Yosemite Valley to South Lake Tahoe is 185 miles and not counting Bodie, will take about 4 1/2 hours.

I noticed you mentioned Bodie. It's well worth the stop and plan on a couple of hours there.

I haven't spent much time in Carson City, but Virginia City is a really nice tourist trap that we like to visit, but with only 2 nights at Lake Tahoe, I'd take the lake cruise to Emerald Bay from Zepher Cover on the DixieII. And make a circle drive all around the lake. IF you want some really good ribs, there is this whole in the wall place called Hoss Hoggs in South Lake Tahoe that has the BEST ribs! http://www.findthefun.com/rests/rCA/r0058360.htm

If you have a couple days, then you might consider spending a couple in the Lassen area. Drive though the park see the sights and also stop at Burney Falls and make your way to Redding to cross over to Eureka.

Utahtea

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:55 AM

From all your posts, here’s what I surmise:

2 adults, 2 teens going on a driving vacation through eastern CA southern Oregon and then western CA.

A convenient way to see these sights while limiting your driving would be to do eastern Sierra which includes Yosemite, Bodie, Carson City, Virginia City, Tahoe, Lassen. Then it appears you want to do southern OR around Crater Lake. To do this you should head toward Mt Shasta or Klamath Falls – you can see the Lava Beds if you do this route. You can end up at Crater Lake and the surrounding area. From here you should go to Crescent City and then Eureka. For your last 4 days head south along the northern CA Coast. It will be a relief from the August heat. End up in San Francisco and fly home.

This route is much better than heading over to Eureka from Lassen/Susanville and then going to Crater Lake.