La Quinta Manhattan or B&B upper East Side?

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Quinta Manhattan or B&B upper East Side?

For a first trip would we better off staying in the Time's Square area or would a B&B in Upper east side Madison ave.(near musuems) be okay? The B&B looks wonderful, but is it too far from the main attractions? Also, any opinions on the La Quinta? Thank you.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:21 PM

If the b & b you're talking about about is on east 93 st., here are 2 older threads that mention it. They tell about the neighborhood, which is lovely.

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....rickus+AND+nyc

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34405405

Here is what "Rickus" said about his stay there

"Thu 10 - Sun 13 - NYC
We stayed in an apartment I had found on the internet and have discussed on Fodor's. It was an East 93rd Street Townhouse, between 5th and Madison Ave, website at staythenight.com.
It was not quite as luxurious as it looks on the website but was spacious, clean and well equipped. $115 a night including tax was a good deal compared to most hotel prices. It was a few minutes walk from the subway but 1 minute from the buses running south along the east of Central Park. As we were late and had not told staythenight about our flight change there was no-one to greet us when we arrived. We still managed to get in in about 5 minutes through someone in another apartment and we did have a cellphone number to ring."

I don't know about the La Quinta but you can look on tripadvisor.com for reviews.

Personally I wouldn't choose either of these options. Assuming you're not more than 2 people per room, I'd bid on Priceline. People are getting great deals. Go to biddingfortravel.com & look at the winning bids for NY.

People regularly "win" the Mariott Courtyard East on Priceline for $75/night. This is the only 2.5 star hotel in MTE so if you bid & your bid is accepted, that's what you get.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Unless you're a theater buff who must be close to the Broadway action, stay anywhere in Manhattan BUT Times Square. I know I'm biased, but I despise that area of Manhattan and think it leaves visitors with the wrong impression of New York. The Upper East Side is great, convenient to museums and public transportation to points south (via the 4-5-6 trains).

Enjoy NY!
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! The UES sounds a little calmer to me, but La Quinta has gotten good reviews on Tripadvisor. We can get 2 nice rooms at the B & B for about $7 less each night plus the B & B is tax included. which makes it even less. We plan on doing lots of walking; just not sure if getting around will be more difficult from UES.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:00 PM

It depends on what you want to see. their are major attractions all over Manhattan and for me, the upper east side is closer to a lot more things of interest than Times Square. Subway and busses from there are easy - don't hesitate to book it because of transport.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again! Seems people are divided on this issue. I still can't decide!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:33 AM

And I still think there are better options both location & hotel wise. There's nothing wrong with the UES BUT 93 st is very far up-it's 10+ blocks NORTH of the Met museum. You haven't mentioned a price yet, but Midtown east, Upper midtown or the upper west side would all be better locations IMO. If you say what your price is & how many rooms we can help. Would you want an apt.? Look at affinia.com-a group of all suite hotels. Check out the Shelburne Murray Hill. Or look at applecore.com
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

La Quinta is only $116.99 per night, w/breakfast. We would like to stay under $150. Maybe Priceline would be a good idea.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:38 PM

I'm confused about your comment about "2 nice rooms" when referring to the b & b. How many of you are there? For 2 of you go the Priceline route. If more than 2, if you're willing to have 2 separate rooms, still go Priceline OR try affinia.com for a suite.

If just 2 of you, also have a look at parksouthhotel.com. They often have package specials.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Our group of 4 is two women; one with a 21 yr old daughter, the other with a 13 yr old daughter. A 2 bedroom suite would be great, but what I've found so far is mainly 1 bedroom w/sofa sleeper.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:57 PM

I know the Hotel Beacon on the Upper West side has 2 bedroom suites. Im not sure what they run, but we loved the area, many nice restraunts and close to the subway.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:02 AM

One more thing: Also this area UPWS might be the best of both worlds; you are out of the insanity when you want to relax at night, but you are on the subway line that goes directly to Times Square. With the UPES you need to transfer to get to times square which will be a little bit longer ride.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I think the UES will not be the location we choose. Quickbook has pretty good rates on the Roosevelt and I will look into the Beacon.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Sorry blep. Now I understand why the b & b was appealing to you. I agree that the Beacon is a good option & a good location.

If you don't mind having 2 separate rooms, I still think going the Priceline route & trying for the Marriott Courtyard (2.5 stars mte)is a good plan & at $75/room/night you'd be in budget & have 2 bathrooms. And I now think, given your party configuration, the b & b wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Tragically, the Metropolitan Hotel has been downgraded by Priceline from 3* to 2.5* , partly due to its terrible reviews. A glance through the BFT listings indicates that the Courtyard Marriott MTE is still predominant, but a bid for a 2.5* in MTE is now a serious gamble rather than a virtually sure stay at the rather nice Courtyard, which seems to have 2 neds or a bed and sofabed in most, if not all, rooms.