Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LA (Los Angeles) hotel recommendations / apartment building recommendations? (3 mos.)

Search

LA (Los Angeles) hotel recommendations / apartment building recommendations? (3 mos.)

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Lee

I'll be arriving in LA the end of this month. My work (downtown LA law firm) starts June 4th. I'll be frantically searching for a decent apartment. In the meantime, I will be looking for a decent hotel to stay in (that's hopefully affordable, <= $100/night) [I'm a student].

Any hotel recommendations? Ideally, I'd like to find an apartment west of LA such as: West LA, Westwood; or, Long Beach, Manhattan Beach; or, Glendale. So, the hotel preferably would be near there or within commuting distance (I'd be relying on mass transit).

Also:
Any apartment complex recommendations?? I'm looking to pay $800-$1100 a month (or thereabouts) at a place that has a month-to-month kind of lease (or 3 months minimum would work (June 1st - end of August)).

** Please e-mail me:
[email protected]
if you have any responses in addition to posting it here (although I will check responses here too). Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Another Law Student

Ask the firm's HR person or recruiting person. They may be able to find you a decent hotel rate. For a short-term lease, try Oakwood apartment complexes. They are furnished and have decent amenities. The one in Burbank is closer to downtown but the one in Marina del Ray is nicer.

Old May 14th, 2001, 04:40 PM
ddd

Well, my advice is just find a hotel somewhere. I would recommmend PASADENA, rather than burbank. Rent a car.
Also, look for apartments when you get here-cuz there are too many places, too many choices, even in West LA/Westwood.
youll be fine. try some websites like apartmentguide.com

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Lee

Cool. Thanks for the reply, D....

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Lee

To: Another Law Student

==

Well, if my firm were to help me, I wouldn't be scrambling to get housing (hotel or otherwise). I was told firmly that my firm absolutely will not help me as far as any sort of housing accomodations whatsoever. But, thanks for the Oakwood Apartments tip!

- Lee

Old May 15th, 2001, 11:40 AM
xxx

Oakwood Apts. are by no means going to fall into that rental range. And renting a car would just add to your monthly expense. Maybe you should check at the housing office at UCLA or USC and see if anyone's looking for a roommate situation for the summer.

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:06 AM
Barbara

Check UCLA's daily newspaper online, www.dailybruin.ucla.edu I'm sure there are students looking for summer subleters.

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:19 AM
Diane

We just went through this with our son who has a summer internship in LA. You can get alot of listing of summer apts. at the ucla housing site( www.cho.ucla.edu/housing/chotypef.htm)and click on "public listing search". Also, we spent I think it was $55 to be able to view the listings at www.westsiderental.com. They have updated lists each evening. We ended up finding his place on the UCLA website. Good luck!

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:18 AM
patrick

Check with Wyndham Hotels about their West Hollywood Summerfield Suites. We are renting a deluxe apartment for one month this summer for about $119 a night with no tax (a Ca. benefit if staying over 30 days) and free secured parking underneath. They have some smaller studios, so it might meet your budget. It is a fabulous place with rooftop pool and even includes a daily breakfast buffet and a small gym/workout center. Get the number from the Wyndham or Summerfield website and then call that hotel directly. We've stayed there four or five times before and wouldn't stay anywhere else. I find it an incredible bargain!