LA hotel question

Sep 7th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

LA hotel question

We are traveling to Los Angeles this Dec. Looking to do the usual tourist things. Been looking at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel, is Hollywood a "safe" area? Any recomm. for other hotels around $150 night.
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:30 PM

A few years ago the answer may have been different. I'd certainly stay there as it is the center of a lively, but offbeat area. The term "divine decadence" from Cabaret comes to mind. You will see some very unusual characters, but I wouldn't worry about the safety issue there at all. From all appearances that is a really good rate for a very nice and almost new hotel. It would be hard to match the hotel itself for that price elsewhere, I would think.
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:38 AM

I think the short answet to your question about Hollywood being "safe" is no, if what you mean is will you be comfortable strolling around the area streets at night. If what you mean is going in and out of your hotel, and hanging around "Hollywood and Highland" which, altho it is nice, is really just a glorified mall, then the answer is probably yes. The $150 you quote is certainly a tempting price, and I agree w/Patrick about how difficult matching that kind of hotel for that price would be.
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:25 AM

I don't know about Hollywood being "divinely decadent"-- it's still pretty grimy to me (and I live in Long Beach, which is a VERY working-class town!). The Renaissance itself is a VERY nice hotel (a very costly renovation of a fairly nice high-rise hotel), and its immediate neighbor is the Hollywood/Highland complex-- a new mall with slightly higher-end chain restaurants. But it's true-- once you get beyond that immediate area, you may not feel very comfortable strolling Hollywood Blvd. past all the head shops and T-shirt emporia and associated colorful people who hang out on Hollywood Blvd. at night.

Check out the Georgian in Santa Monica. It's a lovely old hotel in Hollywood Art Déco style, lovingly restored and maintained, quite reasonably priced. The area of SM it's in is quite safe (I work two blocks away), it has ocean views, and just might come in at $150/room/night....
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Hi--I second the recommendation of rjw_lgb_ca. It is a lovely place in a great pedestrian friendly area. The only disadvantage of the Georgian is their lack of A/C--they do have ceiling fans--which should not be much of an issue in December.
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Yes, but if "the usual tourist things" include things closer to downtown LA, all the stuff at Hollywood, Farmer's Market, Sunset Blvd., Universal Studios, etc., then Santa Monica isn't half so convenient as the Renaissance.

Gee, I've walked around Hollywood and Vine area many times after various shows in the area -- of which there a bunch, big touring productions, large movie theatres, and several small theatre companies. I then usually have dinner in the area and walk to my car parked somewhere a block off Hollywood about 1 or later in the morning. I never suspected I was supposed to feel unsafe. It is a busy area. But if seeing people with green or pink hair, a whole lot of metal stuck in their faces, and a lot of young people of various ethnic backgrounds makes you feel unsafe -- then yes, maybe avoid it. These characters seemed colorful to me, but I've never felt they were out looking for trouble. Was I missing something?
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Renaissance is a particularly good choice if you won't have a car and will be relying on public transportation. Subway and all bus lines are just steps away.
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM

We really enjoyed our stay at the Renaissance 2 years ago and felt very safe.

Go for the executive suite if you can afford it!
I saw both rooms and it's definitely worth the extra $$$!!
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Patrick, I don't disagree with that assessment-- and if the OP is planning to attend the Hollywood Xmas Parade (a B-list Celeb Extravaganza!), it's ideal. I'm only saying that, although Hollywood is cleaning itself up, there are other options (I find West Hollywood is not much less convenient as far as all the "tourist things"). And what's wrong with indulging in lovely views of the Pacific (and Catalina) on clear late fall days? Of course, since I live in the area, I have a different view of things. YMMV.

I too have hit the Hollywood theatres for shows, and for my money the most exciting work is being done in the 99-seat playhouses on and off of Santa Monica Blvd. in that same general area. Have you seen anything at the Hudson? Or at any of the Strasberg theatres? There's actually some wonderful acting going on here in LA...!
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Yes indeed, rjw_lgb_ca. I haunt those little places along Santa Monica, including some within the old Paramount Studios. Saw a really good production of Burn This last month at a funny little place I'd never been before on Santa Monica near Highland. And have seen several things at the Strasberg places. But I've also discovered a couple 99 seaters (depending on what's playing) down in the Hollywood area. One is an upstairs Stella Adler classroom/theatre, and another is behind El Capitan theatre where I saw a wonderful evening of Tennessee Williams a couple years ago.
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:08 PM

There are many places in the greater LA area that are less safe than Hollywood. The Hollywood/Highland area is busy until late night and the police are a constant presence. I, like Patrick, must have missed something, because have never felt unsafe. But then again, I spent many of the nights during my formative years in Hollywood. Let me put it this way--my college-aged daughter shops regularly at the Express store at Hollywood/Highland and she and her friends frequent clubs and restaurants in the area and this cause me no great concern. I can think of many more dangerous places for them to go on a Friday night.
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Given two "safe" assessments of Hollywood by very reputable Fodorites, I'll say you'll be just fine, leddr. I tend to pass through Hollywood more than spend time there (except for theatre nights), so their judgment is better.

However, I do stand by suggesting a nice alternate site-- if you feel like staying by the ocean.